Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over rev vs insurance -stolen car update

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017 | 09:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't believe Porsche will CPO a car with Range 5 or 6 overrevs. If when you bought your car it was CPO'd then the theft has diminished the value of the car you owned and you should be compensated for that, even if you're no longer covered by a CPO warranty.

At range 5 RPMs, things like valve float (springs can't close the valves fast enough before the cam comes around again) so they're moving down when the Cam hits them again or they remain too high and have light contact with the piston crown, stressed rod bolts, etc may have occurred and the internal damage to the motor may not show up immediately. If the car goes 50 hours with regular use, without an issue, then you're probably OK. If something fails and takes out the motor, you're looking at a $20,000 engine rebuild or replacement bill.
Old 08-22-2017 | 10:19 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Ok, so let's say you're not able to get an compensation for this, is it possible to refuse the car?
Not ideal since you've customized it and obviously like the car but something to consider. Maybe just moving on and starting fresh.
Old 08-22-2017 | 11:39 AM
rickdogg82
Pro

Originally Posted by ervin881
I just had a stolen and recovered car checked and it was over revved. 14,600 in range 1, over 300 in range 5.

Does anyone have any experience in getting an insurance company to cover an engine rebuild due to over-revs and damage that isnt apparent yet?

I have not discussed this yet with the adjuster, but would love some info before I do, especially if you have any experience with this or a similar issue.
You need to prove that this occurred after the car was stolen. If you talk to the adjuster with the info you have presented here, it will be a quick "no". I think that will be the case anyway.

I bet you have a better shot against the R/E broker. Problem is that there are no damages.

**** happens. You might come out behind this time.
Old 08-22-2017 | 02:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Ok, so let's say you're not able to get an compensation for this, is it possible to refuse the car?
Not ideal since you've customized it and obviously like the car but something to consider. Maybe just moving on and starting fresh.
If he can refuse the car, most likely not b/c there are no visible damages. I would install all the stock parts (if you still have them) back and find yourself a different 997.
Old 08-22-2017 | 03:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Good and bad news I guess. I am glad you found the car, and the thief was caught... however the over-revs suck!

Now, from what I've read in the past range 1 is not a biggie and almost every car has some range-1. The range 5 is more of a worry, but it's very small... and I bet you probably did some over-revs in the past if you look closely at the report, it happens from time to time.

So, best of luck trying to get some diminished value from your insurance, but even if you didn't, I don't think the car engine is badly damaged and should be fine IMO. I think worse is the feeling that you may think someone molested your baby, if it was me I'd feel that way!
Old 08-22-2017 | 05:01 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceter
I would never buy a car with genital bumps. Yuck.
I just saw that...childish humor (teehee).
Old 08-23-2017 | 10:55 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by captainbaker
I just saw that...childish humor (teehee).
Yeah, I was pretty proud of catching that one but all I got was crickets.

I'm glad someone here has a sense of humor. As far as I'm concerned, potty humor is always funny.

Quick Reply: Over rev vs insurance -stolen car update