Sponsored by:

997 Upgraded SHIFTER CABLE ENDS - Remove the Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I just got mine today.

Good news... The packaging and parts look typical top notch from function first. These look nice.

Bad news... i don't have any instructions. Seems simple enough but instructions should be included.

Leaving for a unplanned vacation tomorrow am. I am getting back next Friday so hoping to get this done next weekend. My guess is someone will have a solid review up by then.

Sorry for the teaser, was not my intent....
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2017, 02:01 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Ok. Completed this today.

My review may be a bit different then someone that is completely stock. I already have a Numeric shifter and Torque Solutions engine mounts.Those will add to the overall experience. I also have never driven a 997 with complete upgraded shifter cables so cannot compare to that.

Installation Time: 75 min. This included the figuring it out time since there were no instructions. I could do this again in ~45 min.

Difficulty: 3/10. Very easy and fairly straight forward. The hardest part is cutting off the old cable ends.

Improvement: 5/10. I would say this adds about the same improvement as the numeric shifter did. The 1/2 and 5/6 side rails are much improved. Absolutely zero stretch or movement. It feels like it hits a wall now. The 3/4 maybe a little but not much. Shifting feel is smooth and rewarding in any gear and at any load.

NVH Increase: 0/10. For me this was nonexistent. I did notice some NVH with the engine mounts previously installed so this might be masking some NVH here. I used the solid Delrin Cup inserts with no rubber. The kit comes with smaller ones with rubber around it also. I don’t see the need to use the rubber ones as the solid ones feel great and again zero NVH.

Quality: 9/10. Fantastic here. Everything was a very tight, perfect fit. No rough edging anywhere and clean CNC work.

Overall, a nice upgrade over the cheap, flimsy OEM cable ends. Given the installation time, cost and improvement, this is defiantly worth the effort.

Installation notes below.

Tools
-8mm allen
-T25 bit
-10mm socket
-Dikes

Jack the car up to expose the undertray

Remove 13 T25 screws and 2 10mm nuts

Stock cable ends attached

Pry off the stock cable ends. I used 2 flat head screw drivers. This requires some force.

Use dikes to cut away the sides of the stock plastic ends.

You only need to cut away enough so that the insert can slide through. Once enough is cut away, push the whole insert out the other side.

Picture showing how to assemble the new shifter ends.

Slide new cable ends on and tighten screws with 8mm allen wrench. I got them as tight as I could by hand.

Push the new ends back on the transmission. This requires a decent amount of force. Once complete, slide the cutter pin in and bend the ends so they don't slide out.

Both ends completed.

Remaining parts. rubber ends (not used), unknown rubber stickers and extra cable end. I think this must be used for cars with a different design

Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Shiny things arrived today

Unfortunately I've been called away for work this weekend so won't get around to installing until next weekend.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:39 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the DIY platinum997! It should come handy once I get around to installing mine. Hopefully this coming weekend.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Will these work on my 1999 996 and are they available for sale right now?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM
hoffarch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This a question to FF. Now that we have pictures of the installation of the ends, but parts remained, is the installation shown correct or did something else need to be done with the extra parts.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Will these work on my 1999 996 and are they available for sale right now?
I'm working on a set for the 996 cables, as well. The difficulty with those, vs the 997, is they use a metal housing and pressed in metal inner sleeve that houses the rubber components. Otherwise, the performance benefits will be the same as for the 997.

Originally Posted by hoffarch
This a question to FF. Now that we have pictures of the installation of the ends, but parts remained, is the installation shown correct or did something else need to be done with the extra parts.
Yes, big thanks to platinum997 for posting the thorough install instructions and review!

You'll have 1 billet aluminum piece leftover after the install, since some model 997 use the square end and some use just the round ends. You can stick those 2 adhesive rubber insulator pads inside the cable ends before popping them onto the transmission - they're just there to dampen some vibration.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Hopefully you come up with a package for the 996, my cable ends are held in place with wire ties and I really dont want to replace the shift cables if there is a short cut. Please post any info on 996 cable ends if they become available on the 996 forum. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Got my upgraded cable ends installed today. My car is completely stock when it comes to the shifter, cables, transmission and engine mounts.

I went with the solid delrin bushing option in the kit to have the biggest possible effect.

I really like this upgrade. The biggest difference I'm feeling is the way each gear slots into place. It's much more precise and with a more solid feel. I would say that the stock setup is a 6/10, and with this upgrade is about 8/10. Once I upgrade de shifter I expect to get to 10/10.

There is ZERO increased NVH. IMO the rubber bushing option in the kit is not necessary.

Quality of the product is top notch.

Definitely worth it!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Nice... Good to hear you felt the same as I did.

So did you use the little round sticker things? Interested to know if those are even needed considering I didn't notice any NVH either and didn't use them.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by platinum997
Nice... Good to hear you felt the same as I did.

So did you use the little round sticker things? Interested to know if those are even needed considering I didn't notice any NVH either and didn't use them.
No, didn't use the little sticker things either.

Thanks again for your instructions and pics. It helped a lot
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the responses and feedback. Given that zero added NVH was reported, I've omitted the rubber-insulated bushing option to simplify things. And there were some tolerancing issues with the threaded holes being too close to the outside wall of the aluminum housings, so I reduced the hardware size to make sure this does not come up in the future. Thanks to the demo users for reporting these to help improve the final design!

Installation instructions will be available on the product page prior to the release, which will run through the process step-by-step, similar to platinum997's helpful post above.

There were some delays at the machine shop, so the first production run is now scheduled to be completed by the end of October for a full product release. We're looking forward to helping everyone achieve the shifter feel they expect and deserve from their cars!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My apologies for taking so long to get this installed, c'est la vie.

Similar to ASTR, I have no shifting or mounting related changes, completely stock shifter, engine and transmission mounts. After the feedback from ASTR and platinum, I proceeded with the solid delrin bushings.

To be honest, I have very little to add to the previous reviews. The modification is a simple, modest, yet noticeable improvement. The 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are tightened up, and while I'm pretty sure it's a placebo, these shifts seem shorter. I know the throws aren't actually shorter, but the reduction in "slop" as it slides into gear makes the shift seem to take less time. Or something. It's a good thing.

Installation Time: 45 min. I had a new mechanic shop do the work as I wouldn't have had time personally to do it for another few weeks. Simply jacked up the passenger side of the car, and followed platinum's instructions. Very good write-up, that is.

Difficulty: 2/10. Very easy and fairly straight forward. The hardest part for the apprentice mechanic was figuring out the engine wasn't in the front. Took him a few to realize the pictures of the frunk undercarriage didn't match platinum's

Improvement: 5/10. It's better. Necessary? Maybe not. But absolutely no regrets. Given that the Numeric cables are several hundred $$ more, I would do the FF cable ends first. No question.

NVH Increase: 0.5/10. I used the Delrin inserts. I didn't want to put 0 here, as while there is no Noise or Harshness increase, there is a very slight increase in vibration through the gear **** as it transitions from neutral to gear. Very slight. Enough so us **** P owners would notice, but not intrusive in anyway. Kinda nice actually.

Quality: N/A. Having not done the install myself, and only driven 15 miles so far, I can't say too much on this front yet, but the packaging was good and the parts appeared to be of high quality.

Noticeable shifting improvement for a fraction of the cost of alternatives. I think I will follow this up with a short shifter of some kind soon, but glad I no longer have to think about cables.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi everyone, sorry about the delays and lack of communication on this. I should have done a better job of keeping everyone in the loop! Our machine shop was backlogged by over a month, and the production run was only just completed a week ago. But I've been sorting everything, and it's all looking great! So these will begin shipping early next week. Website product page and directions are nearly complete and should be up on the website by Monday.

We’re offering free shipping for Rennlist until November 17 - please send me a PM or email if you’d like to take advantage of that.

Sorry again for not updating sooner, and thanks for everyone's patience. I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone likes the upgrade!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:50 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
Hi everyone, sorry about the delays and lack of communication on this. I should have done a better job of keeping everyone in the loop! Our machine shop was backlogged by over a month, and the production run was only just completed a week ago. But I've been sorting everything, and it's all looking great! So these will begin shipping early next week. Website product page and directions are nearly complete and should be up on the website by Monday.

We’re offering free shipping for Rennlist until November 17 - please send me a PM or email if you’d like to take advantage of that.

Sorry again for not updating sooner, and thanks for everyone's patience. I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone likes the upgrade!!!
i’d like to order and receive the free shipping. I didnt see this product on your site. I have a 997.1. Please advise.

Quick Reply: 997 Upgraded SHIFTER CABLE ENDS - Remove the Rubber