Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 997 Upgraded SHIFTER CABLE ENDS - Remove the Rubber

Here's a quick look at the upcoming FUNCTION-FIRST performance and reliability upgrade for the 997 shifter cables...

The OEM shifter cables use large rubber ends to isolate the shifter from the transmission. These soak up your effort and numb the feedback and directness required for optimal shifting performance. The resultant sloppy gear engagement leaves the driver questioning if the desired gear is fully engaged, and it leads to over-extension and stressing of the cables as the shift lever is pulled beyond the limit.
And from a safety and reliability standpoint - the plastic snap-on cups wear out over time and split causing the cable to pop off the transmission.

Our solution replaces the rubber and plastic internals of the OEM shifter cable ends with aluminum and Delrin components. A steel snap-ring ensures the cables reliably snap onto the transmission - and stay there! Plus, the included cotter pins provide a safety redundancy to ensure the cables stay securely affixed to the transmission.

Installation is simple and takes less than an hour. Just snip out the OEM shifter cable end internals and bolt in the upgraded units. The existing cables do not have to come out for the install, so the entire process can be done from below the car.

This upgrade will be an excellent accompaniment to our SHIFT-RIGHT Solution ball bearing shifter kit to deliver ultimate shifting performance and reliability.

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 11-16-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:30 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

not a bad idea, except my shifter cables (and most others i've seen, too) snapped about 2 inches from the end of the cable. OEM cables seem to have an inherent weakness, so if I'm taking my center console apart to mess with cables, they're getting replaced with a beefier design.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I did the Numeric shifter and cables....never going back to OEM or anyone else.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I did the Numeric shifter and cables....never going back to OEM or anyone else.
same.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmm, I might give this a try. I switched to Numeric cables and the feel was awesome. But I had a metallic rattle that was unbearable downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. So back to OEM I went, and of course it meant buying new OEM cables because my old ones where worn and tossed during the Numeric install.

Well after the pain of installing Numeric, then removing them and reinstalling new OEM cables, I found out there was a missing rubber washer in my setup between the cable ends and the transmission. Highly likely it was the source of my metallic rattle. I've been meaning to reinstall the Numeric cables along with the missing washer but honestly wasn't looking forward to crawling under the car yet again (no lift, all jack stands, and yes I have a safe setup on jack stands).

With this FF setup, the install would be super easy. Disconnect the shifter cable ends at the transmission, replace, reinstall. No need to tear apart the interior of the car and deal with getting the huge square rubber bushing mashed into the car body while routing the cables.

Function-First, send me some pricing info. Maybe I could beta test it too?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Interested in the cost and comparison to cup or numeric cables.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

I wonder if this will add noticeable NVH at all
Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 PM
hoffarch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the schedule for release of the this product and also the projected cost.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
The FFP Shifter Cable Ends upgrade is best suited for street performance and DE drivers that are looking for more shifting precision, enhanced feel and connection, and added reliability. If you're building an all-out track or racecar, it's understandable to choose a beefier than stock cable setup for even more reliability - but our opinion is that type of setup is overkill for a street and DE car. Beefier cables are louder, require greater shifting effort, and are much more expensive and more difficult to install.

So don't think of our Cable Ends as a competing product - it's a different solution to a potentially different problem.

For a street/DE car, the benefits (or differences) of our Shifter Cable Ends vs an all-out cable upgrade are:
- Lower cost
- Less added NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
- Easier/cheaper installation (no taking apart the interior, routing cables, adjusting cables, etc.)

Here are some more specifics on the FFP Shifter Cable Ends...

Upgrade Solutions

The main objective of our upgrade is to eliminate the flex and play of the stock cable ends, which is generally the reason drivers are looking for shifter related upgrades.

Precision

The components from our kit are manufactured to exacting tolerances - take a look at the inner diameter of the Delrin cup compared to the outer diameter of the ball-end that it mounts onto at the transmission:

(for comparison, the ID of the Cup cable ends is 10.20mm)

Noise, Vibration, Harshness

Little to no added NVH - the cable ends use Delrin cups, to minimize any chatter on the transmission, and the rest of the stock cable components are retained to preserve stock-like levels of noise and vibration.

Installation

The entire install process can be accomplished from below the car - there's no need to remove any of your interior.
Just jack the car up, remove the plastic undertray, pop off the OEM cables, snip them out with diagonal pliers, and bolt the FFP Shifter Cable Ends in their place.

(Please keep in mind that this modification is not reversible, so once you cut your OEM cables ends out to install the FFP Shifter Cable Ends, you can't go back to OEM without swapping the entire cables.)

Last edited by Function-First; 12-02-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Sign me up for 1 of the 5.

Send me payment info and will send today.
The following users liked this post:
Ochayethen00 (10-25-2022)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:03 PM
hoffarch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also take one of the five offered. I sent an email with the same request. Let me know the payment method.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in!!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm in for another one of the 5.

PM sent for payment info.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, guys. All 5 demo units are now spoken for.

Once installed, please share your comments / reviews / feedback.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Interested in reading reviews!

Quick Reply: 997 Upgraded SHIFTER CABLE ENDS - Remove the Rubber