Sponsored by:

Rear-ended on freeway :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:28 AM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear-ended on freeway :(

Rear-ended on the freeway... Front end damage as well from being pushed into the car in front of me.

We'll see what happens, but search is on for a replacement manual gearbox coupe. Or maybe I'll be one of those lucky PCA GTS raffle winners .
Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

that really sucks

sorry to hear that
Old 07-29-2017, 12:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffleept

Rear-ended on the freeway... Front end damage as well from being pushed into the car in front of me.

We'll see what happens, but search is on for a replacement manual gearbox coupe. Or maybe I'll be one of those lucky PCA GTS raffle winners .
Awful. Please read this thread before you start listening to what body shops and insurance reps have to say: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
Old 07-29-2017, 12:59 AM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Awful. Please read this thread before you start listening to what body shops and insurance reps have to say: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
Interesting, thanks for sharing that link. It's good to see when people take pride in their quality work.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry to see that! Keep in mind that no one can outbrake a 911--years ago, or today. Sadly, with the proliferation of texting today, it only takes a moment of distraction to lead to that!

You're looking for a new tranny? How's the engine?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:38 AM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sorry to see that! Keep in mind that no one can outbrake a 911--years ago, or today. Sadly, with the proliferation of texting today, it only takes a moment of distraction to lead to that!

I was stationary in moderate traffic, without urgency in braking just prior to that. Unsure about what the driver behind me was doing.

As far as parts go, insurance will quarterback determining repairs. Working with a certified Porsche body shop. It's in their hands now.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:43 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Happened to me a few years ago. After 2 months in the shop, car was perfect again. I put over 15 K miles in the car after that without a glitch. Difficult to say from pictures, but maybe nothing to worry if you decide to keep the car. God luck
Old 07-29-2017, 07:25 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Happened to me too! 6 years and 30K miles later all is great! Took 5 months for me but she's sweet and wonderful. Martino Auto Concepts in Glen Cove NY....no where else to take your car in the area. Artists who care!

Tom
Old 07-29-2017, 09:27 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
With the rear end damage, I'd be worried about the engine too. BTW, he's looking for a "manual gearbox coupe".
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

That's terrible. Sorry to see this.

Any airbag deployment? Does the car start, run, and drive.

Ten Years just listed his white GTS for sale. Not sure what trans it has and it will probably sell Thia weekend.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001583https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1001583-listed-my-beloved-gts-for-sale.html
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,421 Likes on 863 Posts

Bummer.....

It doesn't look too bad to me...... these cars are so expensive that it allows for a huge amount of damage before totaling. If this drives you to spend a ton of money to buy a new car, fine, to each his own. These cars are emotional entertainment so if owning a repaired car takes away the enjoyment, then so be it.... buy another.

Obviously for me, I would repair it, keep on enjoying the car, and maybe make a deposit into a stock or fund. I see it as an opportunity to eliminate the stone chips.... something I do every 4 to 5 years anyway. But then I am a little bit bent myself.... when my 1st engine blew at 47K miles in my 2000 Boxster S, believe it or not, I was not upset... I figured I just got another 47K miles of life in the car! Little did I fully realize the faulty engine design..... blah blah.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-29-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:34 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure I understand why you'd want to replace the car, it looks fixable.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:55 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I would also be looking for a new car for various reasons....the biggest being a high chance that the car will be totalled. Diminished value second.

The previous linked thread details how a small fender bender can blossom into a major repair.

At this point its a numbers game for the insurance company. If they can pay out a total loss but recoup $15k on the sale of the chassis, it might be cheaper than repairing. Every insurance company has a percentage for repair VS total.

OP did good on taking to it a Porsche approved repair facility. In California, the owner has the right to take the car to a shop of his choosing.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:48 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Bummer.....

It doesn't look too bad to me...... these cars are so expensive that it allows for a huge amount of damage before totaling. If this drives you to spend a ton of money to buy a new car, fine, to each his own. These cars are emotional entertainment so if owning a repaired car takes away the enjoyment, then so be it.... buy another.

Obviously for me, I would repair it, keep on enjoying the car, and maybe make a deposit into a stock or fund. I see it as an opportunity to eliminate the stone chips.... something I do every 4 to 5 years anyway. But then I am a little bit bent myself.... when my 1st engine blew at 47K miles in my 2000 Boxster S, believe it or not, I was not upset... I figured I just got another 47K miles of life in the car! Little did I fully realize the faulty engine design..... blah blah.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
That's encouraging, thanks. Haven't given up on the car, I'm just pessimistic in that the rear bumper cover is sitting a foot forward of where it should be, not to mention the front end.

One big concern I'd have keeping the car is problems far after the fact... engine acting up from the shock, frame rattling around, etc.

Ultimately I'm just keeping options open by looking into another car. If insurance decides to go along with the repair, I'd most likely wait it out and keep it.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:32 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Anything can be fixed but at what cost? Look at the damage in the two pictures below. The silver cab has a dent that's barely visible at first glance and still required engine removal and frame replacement.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Rear-ended on freeway :(