Rear-ended on freeway :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's terrible. Sorry to see this.

Any airbag deployment? Does the car start, run, and drive.

Ten Years just listed his white GTS for sale. Not sure what trans it has and it will probably sell Thia weekend.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...-for-sale.html
Airbag light went off, but no airbags were deployed. The seatbelts became incredibly taught and took a bit or work to get retracted again after. Motor runs but hesitates randomly, car shakes a bit and pulls to the side.

I did see the GTS Ten Years has posted, marvelous car. It is PDK though, which I'm not interested in.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffleept
Airbag light went off, but no airbags were deployed. The seatbelts became incredibly taught and took a bit or work to get retracted again after. Motor runs but hesitates randomly, car shakes a bit and pulls to the side.

I did see the GTS Ten Years has posted, marvelous car. It is PDK though, which I'm not interested in.
I believe he seatbelt pretensioners are pyro devices like regular airbags, so I think all 4 of those will need to be replaced, and they're not cheap. With the motor issues and a sideways pull, plz us the seatbelts, I'm thinking you'll be shopping for a new car
Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe he seatbelt pretensioners are pyro devices like regular airbags, so I think all 4 of those will need to be replaced, and they're not cheap. With the motor issues and a sideways pull, plz us the seatbelts, I'm thinking you'll be shopping for a new car
Definitely the seatbelt that was being worn will need to be replaced - not sure about the others if no one else was strapped in.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Definitely the seatbelt that was being worn will need to be replaced - not sure about the others if no one else was strapped in.
They all fire, whether in use or not.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They all fire, whether in use or not.
I did not know this....didnt even know it had a system like this.

I'm guessing total loss with the new info.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Cayennes work this way so I'm assuming the other Porsches do also. When the OP said the seatbelts got really tight, I believe that tension is caused by the pyro pre-tensioner. Do the seatbelts seem to go in and out normally. Does the pull it all the way out to engage child seat mode where it only ratchets back in still work like that? The reason I ask about these is that in a wrecked Cayenne I saw the belts were hanging at the same place where they had been and wouldn't go back in. If you got the 997's to go back in, maybe it's a different system with a different type of pretensioner.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's disgusting, the cell phone users are more dangerous than the drunks.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:34 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Unofficially, 'Distracted Driving' (texting/yapping) overtook DUI about 2 years ago. But you can kill a person while facebooking and never see the inside of a jail cell. Enough people will die and the laws will catch up.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:03 AM
Philo Beddoe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your ok, the car can be fixed or replaced.

@Captianbaker is correct with the diminished value. If your car is fixed, the new buyer will pulla car fax and it will most likely show an accident. You can try to negotiate $$ with the insurance company, but it will be a hard battle.

A friend of mine who I work with was just hit in the rear, and his car (997.2)was totaled. His car drove straight, and his motor ran the same as before the accident.

His drivers side seat belt popped. Only the drivers side and had to be replaced. But there is an air bag control module which also needs to be replaced, if you want your air bag light to go off. The scan tools were unable to turn it off.

Once the body shop pulls the rear bumper cover off, they will be able to assess the damage. If the body shop needs to check your frame, the motor will have to come out to get it on the proper alignment machine.

The guy who hit my friend was “under insured”, and my friend found working with his insurance company (Geico) is not a pleasant experience.

If you need more details / information, pm me.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you end up going the repair route, here are some seatbelt and airbag sensors that might save you a few $s
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/409377-porsche-997-front-seat-belts-black-airbags.html

No affiliation.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:14 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
+1
Old 07-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffleept

Rear-ended on the freeway... Front end damage as well from being pushed into the car in front of me.

We'll see what happens, but search is on for a replacement manual gearbox coupe. Or maybe I'll be one of those lucky PCA GTS raffle winners .
Make sure to get diminished value if they are able to repair the car.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you guys sure that won't just buff out?

Good to know everyones ok.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be surprised if insurance passed it as total loss
Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 AM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The Cayennes work this way so I'm assuming the other Porsches do also. When the OP said the seatbelts got really tight, I believe that tension is caused by the pyro pre-tensioner. Do the seatbelts seem to go in and out normally. Does the pull it all the way out to engage child seat mode where it only ratchets back in still work like that? The reason I ask about these is that in a wrecked Cayenne I saw the belts were hanging at the same place where they had been and wouldn't go back in. If you got the 997's to go back in, maybe it's a different system with a different type of pretensioner.
Mine were "hanging" in the same place after impact. After a minute of very aggressive pulling it freed up. Passenger side was buckled too (as my lunch bag was my passenger) and succumbed to the same fate

Quick Reply: Rear-ended on freeway :(