The - "What do you think of this deal/car thread"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM
patently
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
What were the items needing attention?

With most Porsche's and especially a Turbo, there can be a 10X price difference between a repair/service you can take care of yourself vs. taking it to the dealer and saying 'fix it'...
I'm sorry but I can't provide a useful report - I started taking notes but stopped when the tech (Jonathan Langdon, 919.354.8300) said he thought the car isn't a good fit for me.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
What were the items needing attention?

With most Porsche's and especially a Turbo, there can be a 10X price difference between a repair/service you can take care of yourself vs. taking it to the dealer and saying 'fix it'...
Originally Posted by patently
I'm sorry but I can't provide a useful report - I started taking notes but stopped when the tech (Jonathan Langdon, 919.354.8300) said he thought the car isn't a good fit for me.
Also, consider that the Porsche dealership that did the PPI probably also sells 997TTs. I'd be very suspect about 1) a PPI ordered and paid for by the seller; and 2) a PPI done by a shop with a financial conflict of interest. So that PPI done by the seller probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. You'd like to think that #2 really isn't a problem, but search around on Rennlist and you'll find stories. Last year, a guy on the NA 996 forum had a shop that he hired to do a PPI actually convince the seller to sell the car to a mechanic in the shop - and then the owner came on Rennlist and admitted that's exactly what happened. I've also been told by a friend who is a Volvo dealership mechanic that their orders were to try to scare away any buyer bringing a car in for a PPI and steer them to one of their salespeople. In short, if I were buying that car, I'd have my own PPI done at an independent Porsche mechanic.

Its very common for a PPI report to show a laundry list of items to be replaced, especially if it is a good, thorough PPI. The PPI mechanic wants to find something to justify the price charged, plus he's working for the buyer and wants to give the buyer some ammunition for negotiation. Also, the PPI mechanic doesn't want to run the risk of the buyer coming back to him a couple of weeks later threatening to sue him for missing something on the PPI that broke shortly after purchasing the car.

On the other hand, if you pay a professional, truly independent mechanic to do a PPI and they advise you to stay away from that car, then I'd heed that advice.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New one for advice....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Porsche...ZZXjau&vxp=mtr

He wants upper 60s which is crazy, of course... What do you all think this one is worth??

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
New one for advice....

He wants upper 60s which is crazy, of course... What do you all think this one is worth??

Thanks,
+/- $55k
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

New one for advice....

Thanks,
For upper $60k he could at least fix the front lip. I'd like to see pictures from under the car if possible. One - because of the scrapes on the front lip. Two - it's in New York, any winter driving? This thing would have to be a 10/10 for that asking price, 50-55k is about right.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:00 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Trying to sort out a deal on this one, but the owner "dealer" won't take the car to a shop 15 miles away for a PPI... feels shady...
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Hosewater2
Instructor

1. There is no way I would buy without a PPI on one of these. End of story. Walk.
2. Any reasonable seller will allow or encourage a PPI, the rest know there are prohibitive issues with what they're selling.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:05 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

I completely agree. It became pretty ridiculous. He just kept telling me the car is perfect and kept pointing me to his website where he only sold perfect cars...

It's a nice car and I love the options, but I'm not buying a car that's ~2k miles away without a good PPI.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:19 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree. It became pretty ridiculous. He just kept telling me the car is perfect and kept pointing me to his website where he only sold perfect cars...

It's a nice car and I love the options, but I'm not buying a car that's ~2k miles away without a good PPI.
It's not a perfect car, no 996tt is perfect unless it has zero miles and just rolled off the assembly line. Like I pointed out, that front lip shows scrapping on a perfect car? You need to keep looking.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Trying to sort out a deal on this one, but the owner "dealer" won't take the car to a shop 15 miles away for a PPI... feels shady...
He's too busy flipping shoes, bags and perfume.
Check out his eBay history.

Plus he's in Brighton beach in Brooklyn. There's a lot of shady down there. I'd want to set eyes on it.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:01 PM
patently
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Also, consider that the Porsche dealership that did the PPI probably also sells 997TTs. I'd be very suspect about 1) a PPI ordered and paid for by the seller; and 2) a PPI done by a shop with a financial conflict of interest. So that PPI done by the seller probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. You'd like to think that #2 really isn't a problem, but search around on Rennlist and you'll find stories. Last year, a guy on the NA 996 forum had a shop that he hired to do a PPI actually convince the seller to sell the car to a mechanic in the shop - and then the owner came on Rennlist and admitted that's exactly what happened. I've also been told by a friend who is a Volvo dealership mechanic that their orders were to try to scare away any buyer bringing a car in for a PPI and steer them to one of their salespeople. In short, if I were buying that car, I'd have my own PPI done at an independent Porsche mechanic.

Its very common for a PPI report to show a laundry list of items to be replaced, especially if it is a good, thorough PPI. The PPI mechanic wants to find something to justify the price charged, plus he's working for the buyer and wants to give the buyer some ammunition for negotiation. Also, the PPI mechanic doesn't want to run the risk of the buyer coming back to him a couple of weeks later threatening to sue him for missing something on the PPI that broke shortly after purchasing the car.

On the other hand, if you pay a professional, truly independent mechanic to do a PPI and they advise you to stay away from that car, then I'd heed that advice.
Gordian knot cut, bought the 996TT from fossilfuel!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patently
Gordian knot cut, bought the 996TT from fossilfuel!
Well, congrats!! It wasn't the car I had a problem with, it was the deal when compared with the other options you presented. Enjoy it!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Well the Black X50 in NY seems to be off the table for the moment... I tried to tell the guy I would buy it and he won't sell it to me. Which seems odd.

I found 2 more that are of interest today...

1. Silver 02 for X50, sport seats - well optioned all around. Same owner for over 10 years. Looks super clean but does have 63k miles on it. He would sell it for about $49k.

2. Dick Barbour has an 03 X50 with aero package and 17k miles. Black on black car. Lots of options but it has comfort seats not sport seats. He would sell it for ~64k....

As always, all thoughts are welcomed!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

If you're purely looking for collectible value, 63k miles is probably a bit high, and silver is a bit common. However, for an actual driver, I'd say that's a fantastic sweet spot. Silver looks good on these cars, and 4200 miles a year isn't really that many in the normal, non- collectible-car world. Anything < $50k for a well-maintained X50 is a bargain these days, IMHO.

$64k for the black one doesn't seem crazy to me based on X50, aero, and low miles (even though black is also fairly common, like silver).

I wouldn't personally consider comfort seats a dealbreaker, either (my car has them w/ the lumbar option and I like them a lot). There's some good info on all of the seat options here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post9187827 (assume that everything is full leather for TT's, though).
Old 07-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Well the Black X50 in NY seems to be off the table for the moment... I tried to tell the guy I would buy it and he won't sell it to me. Which seems odd.

I found 2 more that are of interest today...

1. Silver 02 for X50, sport seats - well optioned all around. Same owner for over 10 years. Looks super clean but does have 63k miles on it. He would sell it for about $49k.

2. Dick Barbour has an 03 X50 with aero package and 17k miles. Black on black car. Lots of options but it has comfort seats not sport seats. He would sell it for ~64k....

As always, all thoughts are welcomed!
Does the silver one have X50 or did you mean to type "non-?"

Tell me again your planned use...Daily or weekend driver?

Quick Reply: The - "What do you think of this deal/car thread"