Sponsored by:

The - "What do you think of this deal/car thread"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
My final questions on this one - am I really missing out on any desirable options, besides X50?

I know it's lightly optioned, but what's truly missing?

If it was your money, would you go for this or a silver with black coupe, also fairly low options - but DOES have X50 and has 30k miles for 56k.

Thank you all for your help!!
You have to decide if you want a stanard or X50 car.

My 2003 Turbo is I gather "lightly optioned'. MSRP was "just" 119K. Has everything though I want in a car. OBC, cruise, auto climate control, bi-xenon headlights, rain sensing wipers, CD/radio with a 6 disc changer in the trunk, auto dimming mirrors, and very adjustable power seats with memory. Oh, and a rear window wiper. All the options I care about/need.

If you believe you need more or different options then search for the car that has the options you feel you must have in a car.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Oh, and a rear window wiper. All the options I care about/need.
Wasn't the rear wiper standard in '03?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you, Macster. But then I wonder what options are more desirable as I'm trying to look at one car vs another.

Can anyone respond to that? Like is the weird nav system desirable?? I wouldn't think it is? Sport seats vs plush?

Thanks,
Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But then I wonder what options are more desirable...

Can anyone respond to that?
Desirable to who? You?

I think you need to do a personal evaluation and decide what YOU like/want.

The desirability of options is a subjective judgement, so you need to decide for yourself.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Yes, Dock, it is.

However, if you read any of the threads on here you always seem to have someone responding with something along the lines of "low options, keep looking".

So, I'm trying to figure out if there are any universally desirable options.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

However, if you read any of the threads on here you always seem to have someone responding with something along the lines of "low options, keep looking".

Like I said, opinions on options are subjective. I don't think you'll find any "universally desirable" options.

You need to decide what you like and what you want, and not worry about other people's personal desires/preferences.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:16 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's true= I would like manual cloth sports seats- Aero Package -no radio or sunroof lol. Get the options that are important to you, of course its a used car so you will have to compromise somewhat= more than likely.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Remember that the Turbo was the flagship model, and started at ~$115k, so these things were already loaded without adding any additional options (e.g., full leather, which is an expensive/desirable option on a N/A 996, etc.). So the idea of a "low option" Turbo is already a bit laughable to me.

I'd say the PCM is definitely NOT a desirable option, as it dates the interior worse than the regular radio, and is expensive to repair. I ripped mine out since I had no interest in replacing the Nav CD's (that's right, CD's). Or looking at it in my interior.

Aero kit is definitely desirable based on scarcity and cost. Same with X50, though I might argue it's overrated in terms of actual driving experience.

Silver and black seem to be the 2 most common colors, and I don't think one is more universally desirable than the other.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 PM
MNHockeyDad
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Dock, it is.

I have only had my first P-car for 10 days, but I spent a lot of time searching the market, evaluating prospective cars and checking in RL while preparing to make he purchase. For me, I wanted a cab and preferred the X50. I have no intentions of adding mods or tuning it. The only option I really wanted was the turbo that created a smile that is nearly impossible to wipe off every time the right foot meets the floormat. I ended up finding an X50 cab with a lot of options. Options I did not initially consider as "must haves". Whomever ordered it really liked checking the boxes on the order form.

The point is, I decided on the options I really wanted and remained flexible on the other stuff. Find what you like and roll with the other options included, or lack therof. Missing some options does not take away from the feeling of enjoyment you get from being fortunate enough to jump in one of these cars. Just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MNHockeyDad
I have only had my first P-car for 10 days, but I spent a lot of time searching the market, evaluating prospective cars and checking in RL while preparing to make he purchase. For me, I wanted a cab and preferred the X50. I have no intentions of adding mods or tuning it. The only option I really wanted was the turbo that created a smile that is nearly impossible to wipe off every time the right foot meets the floormat. I ended up finding an X50 cab with a lot of options. Options I did not initially consider as "must haves". Whomever ordered it really liked checking the boxes on the order form.

The point is, I decided on the options I really wanted and remained flexible on the other stuff. Find what you like and roll with the other options included, or lack therof. Missing some options does not take away from the feeling of enjoyment you get from being fortunate enough to jump in one of these cars. Just my opinion.
I said the same thing this time last year. Fast forward and the HRE's and Speedtech exhaust must be figments of my imagination.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree with you, Macster. But then I wonder what options are more desirable as I'm trying to look at one car vs another.

Can anyone respond to that? Like is the weird nav system desirable?? I wouldn't think it is? Sport seats vs plush?

Thanks,
Re: desirable options, likely nearly unanimous agreement on:

-sports seats
-aluminum e-brake handle
-aluminum trimmed gearshift ****
-alumalook gauges
-X50 package
-deviated/contrast stitching
-color matched seatbelts
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

What are alumalook gauges?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that Porsche coupes without sunroofs tend to be some of the rarest and most desirable specimens for enthusiasts as the cars get older. Good luck finding a 996TT without a sunroof though.

Dan
Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These are the silver gauges (rather than black).

What are alumalook gauges?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Re: desirable options, likely nearly unanimous agreement on:

-sports seats
-aluminum e-brake handle
-aluminum trimmed gearshift ****
-alumalook gauges
-X50 package
-deviated/contrast stitching
-color matched seatbelts
Can't say I find the aluminum gear shift **** desirable. Had an aluminum/CF **** in my previous 993. Not real fun to grab onto on a hot day when the car has been out in the sun for a little while.

Quick Reply: The - "What do you think of this deal/car thread"