PPI Completed - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Coupes vastly out number Cabs
As noted before, there are 5 times as many '04 cabs out there as '04 coupes. Unless I'm missing something, I'd like to think we can agree that for MY '04 TT production, coupes are far more rare than cabs. My '04 coupe surely must be collectible, it's already in my collection.

To the OP, sorry for the little "rarity" diversion. Your PPI came back better than mine did when I bought last year, and I pulled the trigger without hesitation. Go for it; you will not regret it.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I don't mind the rarity discussion at all. As you can see in my other post, I'm very on the fence of coupe vs cab.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

For the spoiler, instead of spending more $$ to fix the factory hydraulic system, do yourself a favor and just order the eRam from Rennkit.

http://rennkit.com/

The creator/owner of this electric spoiler upgrade is active here in this forum and created it because he's an enthusiast. Here's a review of it from when I installed mine last year:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-eram-kit.html

Fix it once and forget about it. The eRam is not just a fix for the factory system, it is an upgrade. No affiliation with the company or the owner - it's just a better mousetrap.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Thanks! I don't mind the rarity discussion at all. As you can see in my other post, I'm very on the fence of coupe vs cab.
You need to decide: Couple vs. Cab.

You really should like the top down experience to justify the extra cost of a Cab. I'm talking about the probably of the top needed attention. (My 2002 Boxster for years never had its top and still the top developed a leak after 14 years and the top had to be replaced.)

The car isn't in very good shape in spite of all the love it is getting from the rose tinted glasses that posters are wearing.

While the car can be brought into good shape, at least the current issues addressed, and the services brought up to date, for some sum of money, what you can't know is what effect the years of neglect will have on the car going forward.

Dropping the engine to replace plugs and coils is just crazy based on my info. My 2003 has had its 6-speed transmission replaced, the RMS replaced (which required the transmission be removed), the plugs changed (several times), the coils replaced once (along with the coils) and the O2 sensors replaced and the engine has never come out of the car.

The general rule of used car buying is to buy the best example you can find and afford. I find it hard to believe this car is the best example you can find and afford.

Another general rule of used car buying is to have set aside 10% of the car's purchase price to have just in case. Just in case a water pump leaks. Just in case a fuel pump quits. Just in case a tire gets a puncture and 2 or even all 4 tires need to be replaced.

For a Turbo I would up that 10% to 20% and this is without the car already needing some attention after it is bought.

The windshield crack is a bit troubling. A crack can let water leak into the cabin and into the dash area. This is not good at all.

Unless you can get some considerable "help" on the price to address the issues and are comfortable with the neglect the car has received I think you need to keep looking.

Last but not least learn to check out a car so you can avoid PPI'ing a car that you should have rejected before moving on to a PPI.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:14 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. PPI is needed since I live 1500 miles away...
Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Keep looking.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes, keep looking. There are better deals to e had.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tom153
I understand that, but the thing still works, doesn't it? I'd get a bluetooth streaming solution for like $600 or just replace the archaic thing all together before you even think of dropping $1500+ on a "new" one.
How does he load nav cds

Quick Reply: PPI Completed - Need Advice!