602996TT
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/car-video/...X=OVRSTRFBPOST
Old 06-10-2017, 02:39 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I have two already, but after listening to the video, maybe purchase a third? lol
Old 06-10-2017, 03:37 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think at some point all 996 models will be collectible. As with all the previous 911 generations some models more so than others.

As for the 1985 911 I agree. I owned one, loved to look at it, hated driving it for more than 10 minutes. Same goes for all the other classic 911s I have owned. I greatly prefer driving my 996TT over all of them, even the 356C I still own.

Thanks for that. I remember driving it thinking "Do I not just get it?" Blasphemy. Wouldn't the first time either. FWIW, I don't get the newer BMW 3 and 4 series either - haven't tried the M versions though. Every time we get one of those as a loaner I just shake my head "$50K? Really? Looks like a $25K base Mazda 6 inside... and feels cheaper. Now I'm off topic. Sorry.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Sure and there is no good reason for hundreds of major USA corporations to receive millions of dollars each in tax breaks to market their products international. Corporate welfare makes electric car tax breaks look like a rain drop in the ocean.
The motivation behind tax breaks and the motivation behind electric vehicle subsidies are completely different. Tax breaks are a good thing, for individuals and for corporations. Actually, reducing the corporate tax rate to 15%, and instituting a flat tax for individuals of between 15-20%, would be outstanding for our economy. On the other hand, the motivation behind subsidizing electric vehicles is based on completely bogus information.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:39 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The motivation behind tax breaks and the motivation behind electric vehicle subsidies are completely different. Tax breaks are a good thing, for individuals and for corporations. Actually, reducing the corporate tax rate to 15%, and instituting a flat tax for individuals of between 15-20%, would be outstanding for our economy. On the other hand, the motivation behind subsidizing electric vehicles is based on completely bogus information.
Explains Everything:

Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Explains Everything:
Mr. Sowell is such a brilliant man.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 PM
champignon
Pro

Mr. Sowell is such a brilliant man.
He's among the smartest people on the planet, and perhaps the most articulate
Old 06-10-2017, 09:22 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thomas Sowell= we need more people like him.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I could care less what the motivation is. These tax breaks still cost me and everyone else money.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 PM
champignon
Pro

I could care less what the motivation is. These tax breaks still cost me and everyone else money.
I'm against corporate welfare and distortions of the economy by the tax code as much as anyone. Could you be specific about which tax breaks and for what? The bottom half of the population, by income, doesn't pay any income tax in the first place, they get net dollars out of the system that the other 50% pay into.

Some of the ridiculous things you hear in the media, like about supposed "tax breaks" for oil companies, is nothing other than letting them, like any other business, deduct their expenses and only pay tax on their net income (e.g. profits). The public at large is so poorly educated, has no ability to critically look at what is being promoted by various politicians (using the media as a megaphone) that it is very difficult for a democracy to even function (and it isn't).

What's more, corporations don't pay any tax; it is all passed on down the line either into the prices of what they sell/produce, or in reduced wages to employees. Plus, who owns the stocks of these companies anyway? Private individuals either in their retirement accounts, pension funds, insurance companies as a way of making money on their "float," which is what allows the insurance industry to exist in the first place.

If you want to get upset about the salaries that a lot of the heads of these companies pay themselves, that's a legitimate target, but it doesn't have anything to do with "tax breaks," it has to do with poor corporate governance and the lack of interest of most shareholders (e.g. you and me, however I don't actually own any stocks, personally).
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Guys, as someone who bought TSLA at $32 per share and sold it at $40 thinking "yeah! 30% return!", can we please switch to more pleasant subjects, such as root canals or proctology exams, thanks.
Sorry, but I literally LOL'ed. I know exactly how that feels.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM
clsund1
Instructor

And this may be slightly off-topic, but this video compares the 996tt with a 991 C4S and it appears that the reviewer prefers the 996tt because it does beat the 991.

http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-vs...-vs-991-2-c4s/

I think as with most things, there are a number of factors that go into whether a car is collectible- nostalgia, price and performance being the three main things. Nostalgia may not be a huge factor with this car but if performance and price are the biggest factors, I think the 996tt will eventually come around because it's relatively low in price (at the moment and compared to the other Porsches) and has good performance compared to other 911s.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I have two already, but after listening to the video, maybe purchase a third? lol
I really regret selling my '99 now. No way the wife would've let me keep it and buy the 996TT too. But, I sold the '99 for chump change ($15,750). And it was a loaded factory aerokit car in great condition. The NA 996 are fantastic cars and a great bargain. I think the prices bottomed out a couple of years ago, when $12,000 would get you a decent, high-mileage car.

The maintenance on those cars is pretty easy to handle for an average DIY mechanic with a lift in his garage. The complete-engine-failure hysteria is way overblown. The video says $30k to replace an engine, but even a Raby Flat Six engine can be had for $25k installed. You can get a good rebuild for $9,000 and have it installed professionally with all new fluids, hoses, belts, etc for a total of $12,000. There are decent used engines on the market for $6,500 or $7,000, putting you back on the road for under $10k with professional installation or $8k for the more accomplished DIY mechanic. Or, if you have a complete engine failure, you can always sell the carcass for around $7,000 and move on with your life. If you are into the car for $15,000 or $17,000, you just have to go into it understanding the risk of a $8,000 or $10,000 loss if you are in the unlucky 5% who experience complete engine failure. You can reduce that 5% risk with an IMS bearing upgrade, but there are other modes of engine failure with the M96. Still, I think the NA 996s are well worth the gamble.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Granted, he hates mostly on the aspirated 996 but most of what he says carries over to tge turbo. Lol a good GT3 for $40k. Can you believe this smug patronising fool, they even pay him for this ****.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...e-collectible/
More pictures like the green one in the article and the hate will continue, what an ugly car
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM
lconn
Instructor

I think most non-Porsche can't tell a Cayman from a 996tt or 991. Even I have to look for the scoop placement from a distance. To me this a storm in a teacup concerning the different issues.

1. Wait long enough all Porsches will end up collectible, 914 case in point. Kind of like the Dino Ferrari. They use to be cheap and not considered a true Ferrari. Try to buy one now.

2. Collectibility will not matter to me because by the time I get done with it it won't be a collectible, it will be a well worn daily driver. I don't buy cars I don't drive. My 911S was a cheap and primitive car at the time, doubly so for my black 930 except it was a little more expensive. Even though it's worth a bunch now, if I kept it until it was collectible it would have a zillion miles on it.

3. My 996tt was the best bargain I have gotten so far. It is a very liveable car and the appreciation will simply mean I got to drive it for free. As the first watercooled/major redesign it can't help but get recognition eventually. They made a lot of them but that will thin out over time. In Oklahoma in the last year I have seen exactly 7 911's of which only one was a 996 and that's driving 17k a year. The rest of the country does not look like LA. In a lot of the rest of the country, 911's are very rare. Not true for the Boxsters though.

4. Don't get the headlight thing at all. Everyone get's excited over the 993 and it is a bit of an orphan headlight wise. The 964 had a much more traditional look to me so saying the 993 is sick but the 964 and 996 suck makes no sense to me. 993 last of the aircooled but 996 first of the modern watercooled. It will mean something someday.

5. Only forum posters care. Again, most people can't tell the difference and don't care. I have met exactly one person who knew what a 996 was and knew how old my 996tt was. In good shape they still look like a new car. I even like the look of the PCM, shame it does so little. Definitely needs an upgrade.

My $.02 FWIW.

Quick Reply: R&T craps all over the 996