Sponsored by:

Replacement Space Saver Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
if you need the space and in the owners manual there is no caution against removing the space saver tire from the car then remove it and enjoy the extra cargo space.
IMO I would be careful in assuming if the owners manual is silent on a subject, it's safe to do. It may simply be a case where it's silent on the subject (e.g. No mention of structural steel supports in the door either).

As I stated earlier this has been discussed. My first recollection of this discussion was in the early 2000's. See post 10 of the attachment where a Porsche TSB was quoted. Although for a 1998 Boxster, I'm sure everyone is familiar with the cost savings advantages when Porsche used the same/similar front clip design for the 996. I'm going to go with the theory that structural discussions of the boxster front end 'might' be applicable to the 996. Maybe future generations deviated' I don't know. Following the TSB may not be necessary but may be prudent.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tire-bolt.html

Or

http://www.renn-list.com/Keep-the-sp..._10445530.html
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
IMO I would be careful in assuming if the owners manual is silent on a subject, it's safe to do. It may simply be a case where it's silent on the subject (e.g. No mention of structural steel supports in the door either).

As I stated earlier this has been discussed. My first recollection of this discussion was in the early 2000's. See post 10 of the attachment where a Porsche TSB was quoted. Although for a 1998 Boxster, I'm sure everyone is familiar with the cost savings advantages when Porsche used the same/similar front clip design for the 996. I'm going to go with the theory that structural discussions of the boxster front end 'might' be applicable to the 996. Maybe future generations deviated' I don't know. Following the TSB may not be necessary but may be prudent.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tire-bolt.html

Or

http://www.renn-list.com/Keep-the-sp..._10445530.html
That TSB applies to the early Boxsters and because of the similarity to the 996 the early 996.

The 996 Turbo has a different front end.

If one is that concerned he could visit his dealer service department and ask if there is some TSB related to the Turbo spare tire being removed. I suspect there is no such TSB.

Also, last but not least there is this from the TSB:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicle in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with the appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

The OP is seeking to remove the spare on special occasions so he should just drive with the appropriate care when, "in exceptional cases", the spare is removed to make more cargo room.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:20 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

That TSB applies to the early Boxsters and because of the similarity to the 996 the early 996.

The 996 Turbo has a different front end.

If one is that concerned he could visit his dealer service department and ask if there is some TSB related to the Turbo spare tire being removed. I suspect there is no such TSB.

Also, last but not least there is this from the TSB:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicle in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with the appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

The OP is seeking to remove the spare on special occasions so he should just drive with the appropriate care when, "in exceptional cases", the spare is removed to make more cargo room.
Understood. I'll let those that truly want to find the appropriate TSB visit the dealer. I'm satisfied to leave mine in.

My main point is not to assume silence on the part of the owners manual is tacit approval to make changes. Again simply one opinion; feel free to draw your own conclusions. I'm never one to have to prove myself right. I feel better saying IDK.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Understood. I'll let those that truly want to find the appropriate TSB visit the dealer. I'm satisfied to leave mine in.

My main point is not to assume silence on the part of the owners manual is tacit approval to make changes. Again simply one opinion; feel free to draw your own conclusions. I'm never one to have to prove myself right. I feel better saying IDK.
First off, I have no knowledge whatsoever about crash testing of the 996TT or the potential function of the limited service spare in crash protection, which is located below the "Frunk."

That having been said, I'm somewhat surprised at the reverence given in these forums to the owner's manual. I have always assumed that these things were hastily thrown together right before the launch of the vehicle, assuming that maybe someone would consult them to figure out how to use the windshield wiper blades, but perhaps I am mistaken. It is very common for resale vehicles to not even have the manuals remaining in them, and Porsche, unlike BMW, does not even go to the effort to make their users' manuals available online.

What am I missing here? What is so special about Porsche owners' manuals that they deserve to be treated as some sort of holy grail about how the vehicle is to be operated?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by champignon

What am I missing here? What is so special about Porsche owners' manuals that they deserve to be treated as some sort of holy grail about how the vehicle is to be operated?
You are mixing up two things somewhat. The owners manual should be considered the source of information on how to operate your car safely. It contains the basic information needed to operate the car. That was the point I made; don't assume its silence on a subject means it's safe to do. I don't know of anyone that considers it the holy grail of anything. It's one source of information from a company that doesn't provide a lot.

It is not an engineering design manual. You would need three thick volumes. That's why if you have more detailed technical questions, reference the Service Bulletins or the separately produced factory service manuals. But even those can't contain everything and they are expensive. Engineers just don't put everything they know on paper.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

He's not washing windscreens. He's out of a job, his wife has cancer, the kids have cholera, and he needs a little help to get back on his feet.
so, where's the cardboard sign? nah, not buyin' it lol

so.. my car with 9"'s in front,.. i always felt plowed a bit, so i removed the tire thinking just *maybe* a lighter front would benefit my slow speed but anarchic cornering and so i went back to 8.5" in front, and even if i cant tell the difference, the few lbs of difference for having lost the donut up front is not something i can honestly say i notice. but I'm RWD and throttle steer the car every chance i get.

First off, I have no knowledge whatsoever about crash testing of the 996TT or the potential function of the limited service spare in crash protection, which is located below the "Frunk."

That having been said, I'm somewhat surprised at the reverence given in these forums to the owner's manual. I have always assumed that these things were hastily thrown together right before the launch of the vehicle, assuming that maybe someone would consult them to figure out how to use the windshield wiper blades, but perhaps I am mistaken.
oh hell no, and yes you are mistaken. with a few exceptions that test the limits of many our collective limits of incredulity ( trans oil change intervals anyone??.. ) the operating manual while not necessary to follow to the "T"? most of the stuff is required "knowledge" and not simply "thrown together". they are after all, german ha!

but then, it's ( the manual ) not something to be trifled with either. plus, it has all the day to day stuff one needs when maintaining the car, changing bulbs or operating the set memory positions LOL

needless to say, i lost my owners manual years ago
Old 06-04-2017, 03:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

___
Old 06-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just used my original space saver the other day on the rear drivers side, got me home.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 PM
champignon
Pro

Default From Horse's Mouth

As I mentioned in another thread, I took my 996TT into the Porsche dealer today to get a couple of spare keys, being as the car was sold with only 1, very old, key.

I ended up having a conversation with the manager of the service dept., who also brought in the head tech part way through the conversation. I asked if there were safety considerations to removing the spare tire in the 996TT, if it was part of the crash safety design.

The head tech said he would leave it in there, that in addition to the Boxster previously mentioned, he thought that there were some service bulletins about leaving this in the car for other models. He said that if it was his car, he would not remove the tire just to get the extra storage space.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

For perfect balance, remove the spare and add exactly 8.5 kilos (dry) of quick-set concrete poured directly into the very bottom of the frunk well. Lightly saturate with sparkling water (weights less), preferably Perrier. Completely eliminates the bounce and improves crash safety, all for about $6 (though more like $66 if you use the Perrier, but it is a Porsche after all).
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I asked my tech and he actually said that San Pellegrino works better. To each his own, though.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I asked my tech and he actually said that San Pellegrino works better. To each his own, though.
Just put in a gallon of gas, light it and put an end to this.

Last edited by mffarrell; 06-06-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by pfbz
For perfect balance, remove the spare and add exactly 8.5 kilos (dry) of quick-set concrete poured directly into the very bottom of the frunk well. Lightly saturate with sparkling water (weights less), preferably Perrier. Completely eliminates the bounce and improves crash safety, all for about $6 (though more like $66 if you use the Perrier, but it is a Porsche after all).

Concrete is very heavy, and I think you will find that only an inch or two of thickness will exceed the weight of the spare tire. As a result, in a frontal collision, whatever was collided with will tend to go right over the concrete, and easily enter the passenger compartment, probably right at the level of your ***** (if present).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Thats why you need the quickset concrete and sparkling water.... Really low compressive strength so it crushes/crumbles upon impact. Afterwords, just stretch the damage out on a frame rack, vacuum out the concrete dust, and pour in a new layer.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicle in serious frontal collisions.
Well, if one is good, more must be better. I coulda' save a pile of cash by not installing a roll bar in my race car, and just filling it up with spare tires instead.
The following users liked this post:
Peruna (07-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Replacement Space Saver Spare Tire