Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 996 Turbo Upgrade Stereo or keep it Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:15 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
MP3s? What media do you have those on? I would be happy with a black faceplate and volume **** with Bluetooth for streaming music (and the rare time I need navigation guidance) from my iPhone. Which is why I kept the stock CDR220 and added the Bluetooth dongle to the back of it.
Most modern head units I have seen have at least one way to access MP3s, in addition to bluetooth as from your smartphone. Usually they either have a USB port input which can have USB Keys, for example, plugged in, or in some cases they have an SD card slot.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:52 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Caruso
Can you guys give me some advise on my stock stereo / navigation system. When I bought the car I never received the navigation disc and the CD player has a fault of some kind. Will I be able to fine a disc under 300.00 or is it best to upgrade it with an Alpine or some other brand? I would then get updated navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius satellite, etc? I just don't want to ruin the value of the car because I upgraded the system. Any of you guys upgrade your systems and what did you replace it with if you did? Thanks in advance, Joe NY
Here:

Order Content
Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
000-044-902-31 Software Update PCM2 $244.82
(Not Taxable) 1 $244.82
Subtotal: $244.82
Shipping (Express 3 - 4 day): $23.92
Total: $268.74

Company Information
Porsche of Annapolis,
20 Hudson St
Annapolis, MD, 21401
USA
+1 443-837-2600
parts-porscheofannapolis@emails.revolutionparts.com
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Just do an upgrade and keep the old system to pass on
The following users liked this post:
radaray58 (05-10-2022)
Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Just do an upgrade and keep the old system to pass on

I usually keep old, original, parts, but I wonder how often, or ever, they get reinstalled by a subsequent owner.

The last few weeks I have been upgrading the speakers on a 1-Series BMW (135i Coupe), with new Focal speakers. I was going to keep the OEM ones, but they were such cheap crap, that I just decided to throw them away. There is no way that anyone would go to the trouble to reinstall those things, so I couldn't see any point in hanging onto them.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
hules98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my turbo does not have the Bose option I would like to keep the stock head unit would be worth me just replacing speakers if so what do I need for the door speakers? Thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 PM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine with background colour setting that matches with the interior
Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I did an iPad mini in the dash. Waze, music...its awesome. Been trying to post the pic, but the way this board is now setup makes it fully to do. Only board I am on that is this way too.

996TT Ipad Mini Pic
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM
champignon
Pro

In the end I decided to have a car audio shop do the actual install, from parts I had purchased. It is going to be a bit more expensive but the shop was recommended by the local Porsche dealer, who says they are the only audio shop they trust (2 different people, the head of the service dept. and a salesperson I'd met before told me this independently).

It'l cost a few hundred dollars, but I'm also getting a couple of customizations done on the install which I would not have been easily able to do for myself. It's scheduled for next week.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
In terms of sports cars, I embrace the "minimalist" approach in terms of interior tech. I enjoy getting away from audio and visual (NAV) distractions. On the other hand, some people can't seem to live without them in their sports car(s).
I'm with you Dock. I really enjoy getting away from constant bombardment of electronic media. Most of you don't know that I work for the world's largest private technology company, so any time I can get away from phone, email, text, etc. is truly a blessing.

In my opinion, the stock system in our cars works just fine. Mine was boomy when I first bought the car and it sounded terrible. I turned off the LOUDNESS feature and fiddled with bass and treble. Problem solved, it's fine for radio and CDs. I am aware that I don't have an audiophile's ear, and while my Lexus LS460 has a very nice factory installed Mark Levinson system, I have no issues with the Porsche - Bose setup.

I also ride a Harley Davidson Touring bike - it's a Road King Classic with a removable windshield and not much else. Many of my counterparts in the HD World have GPS, radios, MP3 players, IPOD & bluetooth connectivity, phone holders, and even cup holders on their motorcycles.

I prefer no distractions, the machine and the road are plenty to focus on.

While I share similar views and values with many of you, my views above are mine.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road King
I'm with you Dock. I really enjoy getting away from constant bombardment of electronic media. Most of you don't know that I work for the world's largest private technology company, so any time I can get away from phone, email, text, etc. is truly a blessing.

In my opinion, the stock system in our cars works just fine. Mine was boomy when I first bought the car and it sounded terrible. I turned off the LOUDNESS feature and fiddled with bass and treble. Problem solved, it's fine for radio and CDs. I am aware that I don't have an audiophile's ear, and while my Lexus LS460 has a very nice factory installed Mark Levinson system, I have no issues with the Porsche - Bose setup.

I also ride a Harley Davidson Touring bike - it's a Road King Classic with a removable windshield and not much else. Many of my counterparts in the HD World have GPS, radios, MP3 players, IPOD & bluetooth connectivity, phone holders, and even cup holders on their motorcycles.

I prefer no distractions, the machine and the road are plenty to focus on.

While I share similar views and values with many of you, my views above are mine.
+1

I have my Volvo when I want to let the car drive and have all the connectivity.

I only wish I could find a solution to the alternator whine on my bluetooth audio adapter.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM
champignon
Pro

I do like to listen to music on long drives, sometimes. Hands-free calling is essential for me, not in that I make calls, which I seldom do in a car, but I do need to be available at times for stuff that comes up with my business interests, and the timing of this is completely unpredictable. I don't need Nav often, but when I do, I need it.

I could get by without an audio solution including the hands-free (by using a cheap visor bluetooth thing), and I could just use my smartphone directly for Nav, when needed, but honestly these things are way more distracting than just having a head unit that can do them, at least for me. Most of the time I'm not using this stuff at all, the music or the phone or the nav, but when I need them, I need them.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bose is toast/volume button thing. But since i got into Porsches i have fallen completely out of touch with current music

never want to turn radio on with the symphony out back.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 Turbo Upgrade Stereo or keep it Stock?