Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

One big misunderstanding here is "street legal speeds" Where my car was born the rear spoiler IS a requirement at street legal speeds and the manual states it.. Go Kevin, I like my hydraulics and they like me. I will maintain mine in a fully functional manner as min as I have the car.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Sometimes post count and knowledge go hand and hand, and you do get the occasional mass poster who knows his stuff and who is extremely generous with his or her time in helping out others. I have already encountered several people like that on this board. Most people like this are careful to clarify what it is that they know for a fact, and what is questionable, but which they are repeating for the sake of completeness. That sort of posting demeanor helps me in separating out who actually has a handle on what they know, and what they don't know, essential in separating out the credible, from the rest.
i could't agree more with the foregoing..

this crew here and the car itself is as "rough and tumble" as any porsche or forum the interwebs has ever produced ha.. just don't try to say shift **** lol

so personally i think you're taking some "new guy flack" if you must know the truth.. as every post ( and poster ) i've read so far, was in fact proffered by the "mass posters" to whom you've made reference, that are indeed continually sharing their knowledge and experience in an effort to assist.. ( some just tend to repeat themselves but i am sure no genuine rancor or ill will toward you is intended, or even exists... every one of these people will "help" you here as you continue down this slippery slope ( modded,.. or not! )...

but back to the spoiler for a moment..

all of that said, you'd be hard pressed to successfully make any argument at all, that porsche's retractable spoiler is not a critical component of the cars design, intended to maximize downforce when necessary with velocities measured in equations involving "aerodynamic coefficients", and that it deploys when porsche believes it should. it is by no means, a "gimmick"..

and yet, the idiosyncratic and often inconsistent operability of this particular unit, afforded by it's rube goldberg award winning design, existing as it does, only i would imagine because as a true "gt" car, built and designed primarily for street use, many of the cars initial buyers and original targeted segment of the market would have been put off and even look askance at the enormity of a fixed wing eg gt2/3. bankers/lawyers and doctors bought these initially, and let's face it, fixed wings are not "subtle" ..

hence, the continuation of the "retractable" spoiler ( one that was quite an oddity, way back when in '93 on my c2-964 ( my first with a movable wing.. though that one was electrically operated and had no hydraulics to fail! )..

lastly, please don't for a minute believe that these cannot either be "maintained" in full working order ( as i have on this current car, with "two re-bleeds" with miles now exceeding 145k, and still with flawless drip free spoiler functionality. or by (b) availing oneself of kevin's new offering which would probably be best for most everyone that doesn't want to mess with the "oem" functionality ( remember kevin?! lol ) or even (c) dave's rennkit fantastic replacement "solution" which offers improvements ( to my eye ) over the original oem setup!

.. and then there's the E-bay 150 bag 'o bolts "on special" today! mailed right from my garage, and in the original UN used box LOL

so,...hang in there. but you'll still have to wait until next spring, to not be one of the "new guys" any longer lol
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by manimal
Jesus Christ man, what is your point? What exactly are you "questioning"?

You need to do some more reading, and less posting. There is plenty of debate on the merits around here, if you choose to find it/participate.
lighten up man, he's not "attacking" anyone ( or wasting paper!..) besides, spoiler threads are better than "oil" threads.. lol. doncha think?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Here is how you could have replied in this thread, and have sold more of your product (which I have every reason to believe is a good product, by the way).

You could be civil. You could acknowledge that you are selling something, and that this perhaps is not an altruistic endeavor.

But from what I have seen, I'll never do business with you, that much is clear. And yes, I am a businessperson and my business sells things to the public, so it isn't like I have no clue about those sorts of things.

Good luck with your product.

******************Addendum********************

Kevin,

It has been pointed out to me by another forum member that I responded to you as being the manufacturer of this electric RAM setup, when in fact you are NOT. I was confused because another member used your name in his post a few posts above, in a way that led me to that conclusion. I also misread your post to imply that, again, my error. Therefore, my comments to you were improper, and I apologize for making them.

Since the beginning of internet forums, in fact dating back to "Usenet," businesspersons have used consumer forums to promote their own interests, often when this is not obvious. I am, perhaps, hypersensitive to this issue, being as I have seen a lot of abuse of it over many years, which is why I responded as I did.

Nonetheless, I was wrong, and I apologize to you for my comments.
good for you. kevins reputation as a tech/turbo re-builder/manufacturer and seller of parts and all around consistently good guy is without equal. to second guess him would be folly.

good of you to clean that up, in the way that you did.

but agree with all..kevin deserves his thread back, and i am sure i'm not "helping" either.. so.. mea culpa and vayo con dios.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i could't agree more with the foregoing..

snippage
Thank you for your kind words.

I do not want to further "intrude" on this thread, and will start another one aimed at collecting some actual data on the drive-ability and functioning of this car with an immovable or non-functioning spoiler.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:28 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin
What a THREAD HIJACK....

This thread is for THOSE people that own a car with a leaking hydraulic lift cylinder and want a solution to fix the factory system.. Nothing more, nothing less..

For those folks that want to KEEP the factory system intact and functioning "I" have a solution that I have spent time and money on to bring to the market.

Anyone interested can email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

NOTE: This kit requires that you remove and send me your lift cylinder OR you can disassemble the lift cylinder (save my labor) and send me the Cartridge assy. Additionally, you will have to charge and bleed the system with Pentosin.
Back on topic...
Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Kevin, this and Dave's eRam should make it so that anyone with an inop spoiler has 2 great options to fix it. Thanks for your efforts !

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 06-05-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Correcting the damn Autocorrect
Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Kraig Strom
Rennlist Member

Default 996 Turbo Wing Hydraulic Repair

I'm new to the conversation. I have a 2003 996 Turbo on the way and I need a solution for the leaky hydraulics. The $150 bag of bolts is my current favorite but if there is a simple rebuild option, I'm interested.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:59 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Kraig Strom
I'm new to the conversation. I have a 2003 996 Turbo on the way and I need a solution for the leaky hydraulics. The $150 bag of bolts is my current favorite but if there is a simple rebuild option, I'm interested.
If I were you and if I wanted to have a functioning spoiler, I'd consider the electrical conversion, personally, however the product that this thread is about would probably be cheaper.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:25 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kraig Strom
Being new to the forum, you can spend countless hours searching and over-analyzing things about these cars. One known fact here is that Kevin @UMW is the man when it comes to knowledge of these cars and what works and doesn't.
You can't go wrong working with him for tuning, upgrades and stock repair needs. The knowledge you get access to as a customer is well worth a few bucks for a great tune or more.
Welcome to the fun!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 PM
996TTTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I didn't even realize when I bought the car that anyone would interpret that this spoiler amounted to a sort of "mis-badging" of the car with a spoiler type from another car. As I have said previously, I did not buy this spoiler, it was installed on the car when I bought it.

In the BMW world, one frequently sees cars with M-type badging that obviously was put on aftermarket by an owner, probably with fake badges bought on ebay or elsewhere. If BMW hadn't gotten into the act putting "M" badging on everything, I could see it as being offensive.

Never driven a BMW E90 M3, but apparently own one, but you now have me concerned its a fake. Vin number was messed with to match the badge. Apparently the M3 I thought I own has a rear spoiler. Do you see that as another complete waste of space sitting on the boot and is merely taking up valuable revision mirror perspective and does 2/5th's of sweet FA to down force unless you are at 8400 rpm plus. Is it best to despoil it so it looks like a 3 series e90 boot lid.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by 996TTTS
Never driven a BMW E90 M3, but apparently own one, but you now have me concerned its a fake. Vin number was messed with to match the badge. Apparently the M3 I thought I own has a rear spoiler. Do you see that as another complete waste of space sitting on the boot and is merely taking up valuable revision mirror perspective and does 2/5th's of sweet FA to down force unless you are at 8400 rpm plus. Is it best to despoil it so it looks like a 3 series e90 boot lid.
Huh?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:44 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is how you could have replied in this thread, and have sold more of your product (which I have every reason to believe is a good product, by the way).

You could be civil. You could acknowledge that you are selling something, and that this perhaps is not an altruistic endeavor.

But from what I have seen, I'll never do business with you, that much is clear. And yes, I am a businessperson and my business sells things to the public, so it isn't like I have no clue about those sorts of things.

Good luck with your product
******************Addendum********************

Kevin,

It has been pointed out to me by another forum member that I responded to you as being the manufacturer of this electric RAM setup, when in fact you are NOT. I was confused because another member used your name in his post a few posts above, in a way that led me to that conclusion. I also misread your post to imply that, again, my error. Therefore, my comments to you were improper, and I apologize for making them.

Since the beginning of internet forums, in fact dating back to "Usenet," businesspersons have used consumer forums to promote their own interests, often when this is not obvious. I am, perhaps, hypersensitive to this issue, being as I have seen a lot of abuse of it over many years, which is why I responded as I did.

Nonetheless, I was wrong, and I apologize to you for my comments.
champignon,
If the avatar has "Site Sponsor" in it, the entity represented by it is a Vendor.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:03 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 180 Posts

Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Over the years I have received a number of emails asking how to fix or repair leaking and failing wings. I decided to approach the repair in a different method. I have CNC'd a rebuildable LIFT cartridge. The cartridge assy will be available for those that want to service one or both leaking wing cylinders. The main reason for the wing failures is due to a couple of 10 cent orings. The orings get flat spotted and a leak slowly develops. Replace the orings and you are up and running.

My repair kit allows owners that want to retain the factory wing assembly AND factory look and operation. I acknowledge the fact that there are other options available in the marketplace. UMW's option is to allow a rebuildable solution for owners and shops.

NOTE: I am looking for two individuals (beta testers)that have tried to bleed there system and have a working knowledge of how the wing hydraulics/system works. The two individuals would need to require the ability to take pictures and documentations as to "there" repair and assembly.

Lastly, I am working on the electric pump assy component repair kit. With the two kits, we will be able to maintain and service our wings for a minimal investment.

For those interested please email me for details and pricing (introductory pricing is available). kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com
Finally got the wing dash light this morning on my way into work so I'll be getting Kevin's repair going soon as the weather turns wet and after one practice bleed on the worn out stuff.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit