Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Notices

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 AM
  #16  
fung0001
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 300
Default

I will certainly try the fix service in ebay if the shipping cost is more friendly and/or i can take it down myself easily😔
fung0001 is offline  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 PM
  #17  
"02996ttx50
Super User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,126
Default

^ the ebay offering may just be the $150.00 box of a couple of bolts to "fix" the wing in a stationary "up" position. thats not really a "fix" unless you want it fixed "UP!" and stationary. i bought it and i don't know what i was thinking ha
"02996ttx50 is online now  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:49 PM
  #18  
GWIT996F
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GWIT996F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 5,515
Default

I just wonder why the factory used hydraulics on our wings in the first place. My 1990 964 had an electric motor for the rear spoiler. Seems like they went backwards technology-wise using hydraulics on the 996tt. I believe the current models all use electric actuators, no?

Kevin - Good for you in taking on this project, especially in light of Dave's Rennkit eRams. I'll never need your new fix as I've already converted to the eRams and I suspect they'll last forever. But, I suppose for someone who is a slave to keeping things stock, this fix to the hydraulic system might be preferable.
GWIT996F is offline  
Old 05-11-2017, 04:34 PM
  #19  
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,440
Default

KC, over the years I have developed repair kits. From K24 1 bar wastegate kits to 993TT check valve kits. This solution will fit the repair "issue" It was Porsche Indy's that kept knocking at the door. When I get the pump components ready to sell, the hydraulic system will be serviceable for decades down the road.
Kevin is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:08 AM
  #20  
ASLAN
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Hey Kevin, any update so far?
ASLAN is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 AM
  #21  
champignon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
champignon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 579
Default

The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.
champignon is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM
  #22  
DaveCarrera4
User
 
DaveCarrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,816
Default

Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.
DaveCarrera4 is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM
  #23  
champignon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
champignon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 579
Default

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post
Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.
define "excessive speed."
champignon is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM
  #24  
Kevinmacd
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,654
Default

The owners manual says not to drive the car over 75mph without the rear wing deployed. There is a safety risk.
Kevinmacd is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:34 PM
  #25  
manimal
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
manimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 936
Default

Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.
Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?
manimal is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:19 PM
  #26  
champignon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
champignon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 579
Default

Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?
No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast.

The Porsche Turbo is not the only fast car manufactured with a spoiler; other cars which tend to be driven hard, with spoilers, include the Subaru STi, which routinely was sold with the spoiler removed entirely per customer request, and now is sold that way, with and without spoiler.

Anyone thinking this is really important for a car that is not tracked and driven on public roads at speeds under, say, 105 MPH, please produce some EVIDENCE. Just saying that Porsche engineers did this or that does not cut it.
champignon is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 PM
  #27  
DaveCarrera4
User
 
DaveCarrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,816
Default

Originally Posted by champignon View Post
define "excessive speed."
I'll let Porsche explain it.
Attached Images  
DaveCarrera4 is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM
  #28  
Hosewater2
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 241
Default

Since I don't own a GT2, I wouldn't put a GT2 wing on my car...although I did debate putting an Si badge on my wife's Pilot when we owned it.

I'm doing Rennkit when mine goes, my kids love the spoiler coming up way too much to lose the feature.
Hosewater2 is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 PM
  #29  
Carlo_Carrera
2011 Rennlist F1 Champion
Rennlist Member
 
Carlo_Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nearby
Posts: 4,246
Default

Originally Posted by champignon View Post
No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast....
Sorry to do this again, but this statements is completely untrue. The rear wing does a lot even at 75 MPH. There is fellow here who did CFD design work for automotive video games. He knows all about it. Maybe he will chime in.

Carlo_Carrera is offline  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 PM
  #30  
911mhawk
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911mhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,920
Default

Working hydraulics are a cool feature that I intend to keep now that Kevin's kit is out.

Despite having a knock-off GT2 wing available to install, I like the stock look and don't want to go through redoing the front end as the cost of OE parts has gone up significantly.

I picked up the fake because it was black too and mine has started to leak a little.
Still may install fake while I fix stock one to see if there's a noticeable difference at the track.

Not sure how much the "imbalance" with a GT2 rear and stock front end would impact driving dynamics but I believe there was a thread here a while back that got pretty granular.

With max cornering speed of 90-100 at my local track in 3 corners where rear grip is more of a concern, I'll guess that I stay on the pavement.
911mhawk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: