Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Gerard996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Problems

Good Day Members

Hope you all are doing well.

I have been experiencing some problems over the passed 6 months with my 996tt.

So here goes my story....In the beginning my front clutch reservoir started leaking but the clutch pedal however was still feeling pretty good. Knowing it would lead to more problems I took the Girl in to the local Porsche dealership (Porsche Durban) to get it fixed. The below part numbers where added in an attempt to fix the problem.

99731416600 - Pressure Accumalator
99731492031 - Container
00004320656 - Pentosin

With the above being replaced they advised me the problem had been fixed. I went and picked the car up. Within a few attempts of driving the car I discovered the front reservoir continued to leak so back to the dealership it went. Ended up taking the car back and forth a few times before they said it was the Clutch Pedal accumalator which was faulty which they replaced at there own cost. So to my current situation the car has basically brand new parts and yes the fluid has stopped leaking however for now.... Going down my driveway and into the garage the power steering just switched off. The Head mechanic of the Porsche Dealership came to my house and made a Statement and told me the Power Steering and Clutch System has nothing to do with each other. So some issues.

1. With the clutch pedal pushed in and the key in ignition before starting. The clutch pedal gets really hard and pushes your foot up with substantial force. Is that normal?

2. With the car parked off for a day or two i notice that the clutch pedal gets hard. Should that still be happening?

3. Power Steering problems at low speed. What could cause it?

Please can you assist with the cause and solution? Thanks again for the time taken in reading my Post.

Regards
Gerard
Old 03-22-2017, 01:37 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Yes on a factory car the clutch uses the PS for assistance (accumulator) to make the pedal effort lighter. Bring the car back to them. It worked fine before.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Sounds like the accumulator is bad if you're having a heavy clutch upon startup too.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if the head mechanic of this so called porsche dealer doesnt know that the clutch fluid system and power steering system are intergal with each other you need to stop going there and alert porsche they have idiots working at this dealership. btw your slave is likely failed and thats the issue. but im just a backyard mechanic with no real skills other than having actually looked at the system

ask this head mechanic if they have nothing to do with each other why does the p/s pump and reservoir have feed and return lines going to the slave ?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Gerard996
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the support.

32Krazy that the same thing I told the Porsche Dealership. Silly Fool didn't know what he was talking about.

Sorry guys just to let your ll know they fitted a brand new accumulator at there cost so im still a bit clueless as to what is going on.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

its the slave thats failing not the accumulator. there is only 3 parts that fail. the slave the accumulator and the master cylinder. master rarely fails accumulator has been replaced. that leaves the slave
Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a bad slave cylinder. The check valve in the slave cylinder has gone bad, allow pentosin from the assisted power steering to pass thru into the clutch master cylinder, therefore forcing an overflow, and a depletion of pwr steering fluid! Change out the slave. This is a common failure point for the 996 tt.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 AM
Gerard996
Intermediate

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for your advise.

I have received new information on my car.

They have advised that the Slave Cylinder has been replaced and is brand new. I am taking the car this Saturday 15.04.2017 to the dealership after talking to the Service manager. They are now going to replace the ball on the slave cylinder as they have mentioned, it could be faulty and will be the second time they replace it. They have advised its a 30 minute job and will wait for the car to be returned to me. I will provide feedback on when the car is returned to me.

I wonder if it would make a difference as I have specified to him that the Slave Cylinder they installed could be faulty.

Regards

Gerard
Old 04-13-2017, 05:37 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they give you a part number for what they are going to replace?

Dan
Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Sorry but back leakage to the clutch master cylinder is not the accumulator but the slave cylinder, the internal check valve is bad. This will screw up engagement and feel.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

in addition to a faulty clutch slave, you have presumably been dealing with a "service advisor" and not the actual mechanic.

that's your real problem. replace the clutch slave with the new accumulator, and eliminate the dealerships slave, and then speak to the tech directly moving forward, although this will *probably* be "discouraged".

or better still, find a good independent shop.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Gerard996
Intermediate

Good Day Members
Hope everyone is doing well.
Sorry for the late response I was unable to take the car in on 15.04.2017 but was able to take it yesterday 22.04.2017. I had asked the main mechanic about the slave cylinder he said the cylinder has already been replaced and is brand new. So I did not argue and let them replace the Accumulator black ball. When I got the car back the clutch pedal was much lighter. However I know it was like that before and then started its problem. So now its a matter of waiting I really hope the problem does not persist.

My next problem has nothing to do with my topic name I do apologize my central locking which refuses to lock the car with the key and is making its two honks without locking the car. I have noticed that the passenger door window comes down but when you close it with the handle up it catches on the door rubber and the window sticks out of the rubber. Whilst i was at the Porsche dealership they did a diagnostics and said the fault codes said wiring malfunction and sensors.They said the car need to be booked in for a full diagnostics to find the origin of the problem. Which sounds like a good way to empty my wallet.

Thanks for your help

Gerard
Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Could be a bad window regulator and possibly a faulty alarm control module. You need to see if there are any fault codes in the DME. You will need at least a Durametric to diagnose.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:44 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

faulty microswitch at the door handle
Old 04-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Keep an on that clutch madter cylinder for pentosin overflow!

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Problems