Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in SoCal know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

motor mounts cost a few hun and can be installed in an hour. tires and other *normal* items are gonna be a "pay now" and/or.. but definitely pay later proposition. the cars are still porsches and commensurately costly to DRIVE. sitting in a garage is free lol
Old 03-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
motor mounts cost a few hun and can be installed in an hour. tires and other *normal* items are gonna be a "pay now" and/or.. but definitely pay later proposition. the cars are still porsches and commensurately costly to DRIVE. sitting in a garage is free lol
Thank you for your input, esp. regarding the boost issue, didn't realize how common that was. I thought the DME was fine. Totally get the expense with these, just don't want to dump a bunch of cash into a car at too high of a purchase price for mileage.

The HVAC control should be easy to replace given that I was already planning on removing the CD-ROM for a storage shelf and putting in a bluetooth harness. I was expecting to replace the rears, but if the fronts are from 2011 they should probably go too.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

I know this is blurry but how about those fault codes?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Thank you for your input, esp. regarding the boost issue, didn't realize how common that was. I thought the DME was fine. Totally get the expense with these, just don't want to dump a bunch of cash into a car at too high of a purchase price for mileage.

The HVAC control should be easy to replace given that I was already planning on removing the CD-ROM for a storage shelf and putting in a bluetooth harness. I was expecting to replace the rears, but if the fronts are from 2011 they should probably go too.
yeah well again, tires are tires. while its nice to have fresh rubber that usually (always?) reflected in price one way or another. i go thru 2.5 sets of rears a year without "tracking". so its pay to play

as to boost leaks, yes, they are in fact so common that a good 50% of the time you can find them by checking the i/c hoses ( clips lose their retentive ability after years..) and tugging on the y-pipe while navigating bit further up the intake path. btw the TB and the plenum and the infamous #16 check valves.. seek? and therein you ( or your tech ) shall probably "find". its most always about the "intake" and in fact thats about the most accessible stuff on the car! given its location in the engine bay...pressure test w a homemade kit is what many of us do at the turbos.

bottom line: dont be putoff if you're not a diy'r either. i am not either but I've learned thru experience and while standing there attentively while handing a pal sockets and beer

if ya don't have at LEAST one boost leak a year? you're not driving the car as hans intended lol.

btw lapis is by far one of the *best* color choices for this car. but.. graphite gray interior? not so much! hah

add: re your dme pic.. cant help as i no zero, about any radio/hvac codes sorry...
Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

yeah well again, tires are tires. while its nice to have fresh rubber that usually (always?) reflected in price one way or another. i go thru 2.5 sets of rears a year without "tracking". so its pay to play

as to boost leaks, yes, they are in fact so common that a good 50% of the time you can find them by checking the i/c hoses ( clips lose their retentive ability after years..) and tugging on the y-pipe while navigating bit further up the intake path. btw the TB and the plenum and the infamous #16 check valves.. seek? and therein you ( or your tech ) shall probably "find". its most always about the "intake" and in fact thats about the most accessible stuff on the car! given its location in the engine bay...pressure test w a homemade kit is what many of us do at the turbos.

bottom line: dont be putoff if you're not a diy'r either. i am not either but I've learned thru experience and while standing there attentively while handing a pal sockets and beer

if ya don't have at LEAST one boost leak a year? you're not driving the car as hans intended lol.

btw lapis is by far one of the *best* color choices for this car. but.. graphite gray interior? not so much! hah

add: re your dme pic.. cant help as i no zero, about any radio/hvac codes sorry...
Lapis blue is the main reason I persist with this car!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Lapis blue is the main reason I persist with this car!
cant say as i blame you! GL hope it works out. again, from my armchair it seems ok, but you need good "eyes on" it in person or a trusted advisor. tough to buy a car eBay or LD without at the least apprehension, and at worst? you get a pig in a poke! I'm not sure i could buy one without driving it etc. again.. GL
Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

cant say as i blame you! GL hope it works out. again, from my armchair it seems ok, but you need good "eyes on" it in person or a trusted advisor. tough to buy a car eBay or LD without at the least appreshension, at worst? you get a pig in a poke! I'm not sure i could buy one without driving it etc. again.. GL
Got a non-car-guy friend looking for me today. There are some paint blemishes on the passenger door, want his opinion on how noticeable those are.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

I've moved on and am working on purchasing this one:

http://www.milpasmotors.com/2002_Por...CA_8912353.veh

PPI was done by Schneider Autohaus, DME showed 15997 type I and 45 type II.

They are fixing the rear tail light lens and wiring harness, PPI also noted that the "center radiator air outlet broken." I am unclear on the significance of this, any help?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

I've moved on and am working on purchasing this one:

http://www.milpasmotors.com/2002_Por...CA_8912353.veh

PPI was done by Schneider Autohaus, DME showed 15997 type I and 45 type II.

They are fixing the rear tail light lens and wiring harness, PPI also noted that the "center radiator air outlet broken." I am unclear on the significance of this, any help?
bump...anyone?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

bump...anyone?
What are total hours on the engine and when was the last ignition 1 and 2?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

1420.8 total. The PPI printout doesn't break down the ignitions by hour.

Just wondering if that description of the air outlet on the center radiator means the whole radiator needs replaced....
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

"45" type 2's is nothing nothing to be concerned about, either is a radiator. don't really know what is meant by "air outlet" but they may mean the plastic ends? NBD to r&r. like a cpl hours labor ( max ) and a 400 part.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

1420.8 total. The PPI printout doesn't break down the ignitions by hour.

Just wondering if that description of the air outlet on the center radiator means the whole radiator needs replaced....
I am not sure what they are talking about. On my other 996 c2, the center radiator just has an inlet and outlet for coolant.

If the coolant outlet is damaged, the the radiator will have to be replaced.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

oh, i get it. "inlet and outlet".. duh. hah
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Center radiator air outlet could be referring to the outlet duct on the back of the radiator that directs the air under the car, rather than to an actual coolant/water pipe issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone in SoCal know this car?