Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love this car, but asking BIG $$, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
NADA/KBB have as much validity as someone offering his opinion the car is worth the high $60K's.

Even if one offers "high 60s", as high "60s" as one can go or $69,999 (call it an even $70K), based on what the OP posted of a response he received from the seller regarding the OP's lower offer this "high 60's" offer is $2500 less than the current owner/seller paid for the car.
I have enormous respect for your knowledge and technical understanding of these cars, but I can't fathom why you keep quoting those crude mass market mainstream sources for cars that are anything but. There is so much subtlety in the pricing of a 996tt as you very well know. Do you truly believe those numbers have any informational value whatsoever.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:35 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
He sure as hell isn't going to buy a car for $72.5K and only look for 3.33% margin with a sell price of $75K. That's absolutely a poor use of his money and/or financing.

But in the end the seller can ask whatever price they wish.
Totally agree that he can ask whatever he wants. Lying about what he paid for the car to attempt to boost up his ask makes him a slimy POS.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
?...Lying about what he paid for the car to attempt to boost up his ask makes him a slimy POS.
I think it makes him a car salesman.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think it makes him a car salesman.
It's definitely an odd way of selling.

I work for a Tier 1 technology vendor and can't imagine me or any of my guys telling our customers a lie about our cost structure...or anything else for that matter. We would definitely tell a customer that we can't do a deal at "X" price if it's at or below cost, but we would never make up a fake cost structure.

Of course we're a bit higher up the food chain than car & mattress salesmen and we aren't in the business of doing one time deals as relationships matter, but cheap car salesman talk is so transparent.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, that was the funny part for me. The fact that he claims he paid $72500 for the car. NO WAY he would purchase car for such little return on his $$. Regardless, most will haggle with his asking price to begin with, so profit even less.

Typical dealer, hate to deal with them. ALWAYS prefer to buy private party. Just really like the color combo/miles/options, but not $75k. Even mid 60's to me is pushing it, especially given how much I ponied for my pristine 997TT.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954
I agree, that was the funny part for me. The fact that he claims he paid $72500 for the car. NO WAY he would purchase car for such little return on his $$. Regardless, most will haggle with his asking price to begin with, so profit even less.

Typical dealer, hate to deal with them. ALWAYS prefer to buy private party. Just really like the color combo/miles/options, but not $75k. Even mid 60's to me is pushing it, especially given how much I ponied for my pristine 997TT.
agree with you 100%. Sure is a pretty car, although I would spec out red on black over tan.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For some laughs... Sellers response to my $65k offer.
Hi Steve,

It wouldn't be very smart of me to sell you the Turbo for $7500 under what I paid for it!

Who'd you buy it from, Marshal Goldman or Bruce Canepa? (Porsche collectors will understand that one, but for those who don't get it, Both usually have VERY nice cars, but also usually ask prices that are usually tremendously above market )

or

When did you buy it, when it was two years old? There's no way he bought it for $72.5k within the past 5-8 years, unless it had someone of Seinfeld or Paul Walker's celebrity attached to it's ownership history, in which case you're paying a premium for it's past history, not the lack of mileage, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

In my opinion, the 997 Turbo can't compare to the 996 which has so much "soul".
You're right, the 996TT doesn't compare to the 997TT, that's why the 997TT costs so much more
I doubt you would ever find a car so loaded and in such perfect condition as this!
Unless you comb all of 2 or 3 sites on the internet or wait a week or 2 for a different one
Thanks,

Dick
well, ya got that part right. Just kidding, I have no idea whether he's a nice guy or not. But he's off base on that car in the CURRENT market (not speculating on what the market will dictate in 5, 10 or 20 years will be) but like others have said, he's welcome to ask whatever he wants for his car. I have a baseball card collection that is probably worth well into 6 figures, but if someone offered me a 996 GT2 as a straight across trade, I'd do it in a heartbeat because I don't want to try to catalog each and every single card I have. Any takers?
My responses in Red lol
Originally Posted by Atrox
Is his name really Dick?
Yeah, it is. He's actually quite well known and respected in Porsche Racing circles. Like I said, I really don't know if he's a nice guy or gone typical used car salesmen. But he's got a really good Porsche racing Pedigree.
Originally Posted by Hosewater2
I call BS, no way a used car dealer lists something at only a 3.3% markup from what they paid.

He'll come back around to you with some kind of counter.
agree, no way. Not on a car like this. Maybe a car that they're just trying to move quickly. But not a car that they're trying to command a premium price for.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911;13861096M
Yeah, it is. He's actually quite well known and respected in Porsche Racing circles. Like I said, I really don't know if he's a nice guy or gone typical used car salesmen. But he's got a really good Porsche racing Pedigree.
Likely a little of both because if you're close to the platform you tend to value it more and if 996TTs are a deal then 997Ts almost are starting to feel like one. It seems like 996TTs are just starting to appreciate so then very soon 997TTs will stop their decline and begin to stabilize in the 60-70 range for average models. I bet if he or a buyer is intending to bet on next years prices he'll only be at a premium rather than laughably overpriced.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Two years ago I listed my 993 on Rennlist and within four hours of listing Dick purchased it for my full ask of $42k. My experience with him was pleasant and the transaction smooth and fast. My price was probably a little on the low side at the time but I priced it for a quick sale as I needed the funds to purchase my current 996TT. A few weeks later my 993 was listed on his website for $72k. Even today's 993 market I consider this to be an ambitious figure. I've always wondered what he eventually sold the car for.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

For some laughs... Sellers response to my $65k offer.
Hi Steve,

It wouldn't be very smart of me to sell you the Turbo for $7500 under what I paid for it!

In my opinion, the 997 Turbo can't compare to the 996 which has so much "soul".

I doubt you would ever find a car so loaded and in such perfect condition as this!

Thanks,

Dick
So loaded?? No sport seats, no nav, no cd changer...
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM
B-DUB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with many of the other comments already posted. There is no way he is only looking to make $2,500 on the sale of this car.

Back in September, I was interested in a '87 Carrera G50 coupe. Seller had been a long time owner and was asking a reasonable $38k for the car. Seller finally got back to me with pics and further info as I was heading to the airport for a two week vacation to Italy. I followed up with him a few days later and he said the car had sold. Dick had bought the car and it was then for sale for a $10k premium. Car sold on ebay for full ask.

While $75k is too high in the current market, I think your offer of $65k was a very fair one given miles, condition, and options.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your offer of 65 is more than fair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142215514215
This car has a few more miles, and maybe a less desirable color combo (YMMV), but it has been sitting there for at least a month, was initially listed at 59, now 57 and still no takers.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Your offer of 65 is more than fair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142215514215
This car has a few more miles, and maybe a less desirable color combo (YMMV), but it has been sitting there for at least a month, was initially listed at 59, now 57 and still no takers.
That car has been on he market for at least 9 months. It was originally listed for $66k. The seller wont't budge on the price. When I spoke to him 6 months ago he was firm on price.

I ended up purchasing almost the exact same car mileage and option wise for $20k less than he wanted.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:11 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP, if you'd like a red X-50 car and it's just for occasional non-track use, have you thought about a convertible? Here's what seems to be a really nice example with not too many miles on the clock. No sport seats, but other than that it's spec'd very nicely and a cab might be great for those sunny days with the wife! Especially if your 997TT is already a coupe, then having a cab might be a fun alternative.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche...m=371831269136
Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I have seen this one, keeping an eye on it, they are asking $55k. The car is actually for my father, he prefers a coupe. As far as the wife, don't have one, too selfish at this point in my life.. lol

Have a couple Vipers for the convertible days.

As far as price, seems like the coupes go for more $$ than the cabs, quite a bit actually on the 996TT'S

Quick Reply: Love this car, but asking BIG $$, what do you guys think?