anyone heard of or know how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 10:45 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone heard of or know how to fix

a problem with a bone dry 996 (NA or TT) not accepting any gas (ie: spitting it out as fast as you can pour it)?
Old 10-25-2003, 11:33 PM
fish5225
Track Day

Angry mine did

Yes: My 03 x-50 would not accept gas when it was almost bone dry. Had dealer pick up and check and they could not duplicate. There was some vague reference to a prior problem but then they tried to suggest operator error. Has not happened again but I am now sure it is a design problem. Anyone else?
Old 10-25-2003, 11:34 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

so what happened? it just started taking gas the next time you tried or do you think they did something to fix it?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Do our inlet pipes incorporate a check valve? If there is no check valve to malfunction, then a venting problem must exist. Beyond the theoretical, I have no practical answer, but one of our technical posters probably knows the specifics of the potential list of problems. It's a significant question, since it's something you want to be able to address at the roadside- like by sneaking in a small vent tube. AS
Old 10-26-2003, 11:43 AM
fish5225
Track Day

Ben: I have done nothing to the car and the dealer claims to have done nothing either. (They were originally going to replace the whole inlet system) I suspect some kind of venting problem as suggested above but nobody was able to give me an answer. I was told that this had been a problem on other cars, including boxster but that porsche had addressed it. I will follow up with some other porsche techs I know and see if they have any more info. I have filled up approx 5 times since incident without duplication. Has it been a constant problem for you? My dealer is Ed Carroll motors in Fort Collins CO. Who is your dealer? Obviously the two should talk and raise issue to Porsche. Fish
Old 10-26-2003, 11:50 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks, this is the first time the car has done it in it's 3 year, 13k mile life.

out of curiosity, how low was your fuel when it happened?
Old 10-26-2003, 04:51 PM
dkc-gt2
AutoX

WAS YOUR CAR ON WHEN FILLING WITH GAS? If so just give it time and it will not happen again. Something to do with the vent. It happened to me but as long as car is off it never has happened again.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:03 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks dkc. if you remember, how low was your fuel when it happened?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:15 PM
dkc-gt2
AutoX

It happened twice, once at 1/8 tank on a 2002 TT and the other at 3/4 on a 2003 TT. But each time, the engine was running. I could start putting in around 1 gallon and then the overflow started. Took it to Reeves in Tampa and they said they fixed it but in reality it fixes itself if left alone with the car off after a little time.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:25 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks. apparently my car had about zero gas in it at the time but it appears the amount of gas at the time of failure is irrelevant. the car now has 1/4 tank though i'm told it took 15 minutes to get to 1/4!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

I wrote Ben about his problem on another board. Think he's got his problem solved. For others out there with a similar problem, there is a plug that hangs loose under the passenger side dash. This plug can chafe and rub against bare metal and short out. When it shorts out, it blows a fuse in the circuit that controls an inner door located downstream from the outer flap in the filler tube. This inner door is controlled by a solenoid switch. If the inner door will not open, the car will not accept fuel. If your car will not accept fuel, take your finger and push open the outer flap. If you hear a click, the inner door is functioning. If not, check your fuses. This is a rare problem with any Porsche late model. Happened to me and the dealer fixed it in ten minutes. He wrapped tape around the plug, replaced the fuse and I was on my way. They had to call the factory to get set straight.
If your tank is empty and the auto shut-off on the nozzle keeps tripping, it is because of fuel displacing air in the tank. The outrushing of air trips the shut-off. Go easy at first and you will not have a problem.

Quick Reply: anyone heard of or know how to fix