Sponsored by:

I have had 2 Indy shops and one dealer refuse to do a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have had 2 Indy shops and one dealer refuse to do a PPI

FYI-Finally got the shop who has seen the car (2001 TT) 3 times recently for routine maintainence to agree to a PPI, ONLY after the present owner requested it as a favor. The reason given each time was fear of liabilaity. They did not want to go on record listing possible faults in case they missed some.

I have gone through several big boat surveys both as a buyer and a seller, and know that the surveyor cannot catch everything, and they put a disclaimer in their report.

In the process of finally getting a PPI, after searching
Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really sux but honestly I can't really blame them, with all the lawsuits flying around

Glad you were able to work it out. Good luck with the diagnosis
Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 PM
ANJ-911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that's weird, people get home inspections all the time which is a similar situation, they just need to put a disclaimer in the report.

Hopefully the car proves to be solid!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:29 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

..prelim report is good..here's hoping...c
Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

there is never, nor is there ever any "liability" for a shop that inspects a car. implied or otherwise, provided they have no ownership stake in the car.

unless of course some representation to the contrary is made. a PPI is an inspection. for better for worse, but nothing more, nothing less.

a guy inspects a house pre-purchase.. the roof caves in. you gonna send the inspector a bill? lol.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

good luck. you may want to have them have a look at the oil filter for any metal.
what colour is it? 6spd or tippy?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 AM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

6speed...no tippy for me...
Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Where are you located? I am in Chicago and all the Porsche dealers here are willing to PPI for a fee...
Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 AM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-AL
Where are you located? I am in Chicago and all the Porsche dealers here are willing to PPI for a fee...
I am in Alanta but my problems were trying to get a car inspected in NM. I am looking for cars elsewhere, where I have not found the same problem. I was ,ore,than willing to pay for the PPI
Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

salvage car didnt work out for you? hope you find what your looking for. im not to far away let me know if i can help
Old 09-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ferrari 365c4

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
there is never, nor is there ever any "liability" for a shop that inspects a car. implied or otherwise, provided they have no ownership stake in the car.

unless of course some representation to the contrary is made. a PPI is an inspection. for better for worse, but nothing more, nothing less.

a guy inspects a house pre-purchase.. the roof caves in. you gonna send the inspector a bill? lol.
a few years ago a shop did a PPI on a Ferrari 365c4. The guy having the PPI done bought the car and took it to his shop for a look over. They found a hole in the block repair under the exhaust manifold. The new owner of the car filed suit against the PPI guy for $200k. The suit lasted several years. the PPI shop won the suit but it cost him $50k in lawyer fees. The whole episode was written about in Sports Cars Maket magazine in the "legal files" section. And commented on by Mike Sheehan in the same magazine.

i had a PPI done on my 993 at a well known shop in Costa Mesa. After I had the car shipped to me I had my shop check the car over. We found a lot of problems with the car and I cried foul and threatenedthem with a law suit and they kicked me back $2700.00.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:42 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Yup, just more complicated times now a days-back in my day...
Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
salvage car didnt work out for you? hope you find what your looking for. im not to far away let me know if i can help
32krazy-the more I look, tHe more uncertain I get; salvage a great deal for a daily driver/but salvage title cars are hard to get rid of ( Motorcar Studio-Atlanta), a stock -1 TT, 48K miles, $40K, heavily modded track/street car, $49K (missed this one-for tHe best), lightly modded $44K, missed tHis one, both 56Kmiles, two locals, low miles/high miles...and now, moderately modded, suspension and engine, street car, 39K miles, funky spoiler, silve/black interior, $45K, at shop now getting PPI...

...maybe keep my 2003 NA 996 with 114K lies, looks new, all upgrades supposedly done....I,sound like a country son---oh, I don't know what Porsche.....
Old 09-08-2016, 01:04 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home inspectors get sued all the time... They now have a clause in their contracts that limits damages to the amount paid for the inspection...
Old 09-08-2016, 01:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

My local shop has recently completed PPI's on a Boxter and 996. It was explained to the buyer & seller they will take no responsibility for anything related to the IMS (this was also printed on the PPI).
Both sales went through and both cars were kept at the shop for an IMS upgrade, I believe the one from Vertex Auto was used.

Not true, never has been.

Have a PPI done, passes, the next day after the purchase a wheel falls off I guarntee you the buyer is going after the shop every single time.

Shops have an expression called "Ever Since You" that applies to anything that breaks on a car X hours, days, weeks etc... after the car was in the shop.

I was at the shop one day and witnessed the owner of a 944 get into his car after an oil change. He shut the door, glass fell out of the side mirror. He came storming into the shop, blaming them and demanded they fix it for free. This happens all day, every day in the auto repair business. To imply there is no liability in any way is complete nonsense.

So you pay for a full PPI on a 996 and the next day after you buy it the IMS bearing grenades leaving you with a junk motor, you'll shrug is off and not call out the shop on it?

a guy inspects a house pre-purchase.. the roof caves in. you gonna send the inspector a bill?
That depends, did the inspection company sign off on the roof as being 100% structurally sound? If yes and you hired a reputable, license and insured inspection company you bet I will be calling them.
The inspection we got on hour house came with a 1 year warranty on everything they signed off on.

Quick Reply: I have had 2 Indy shops and one dealer refuse to do a PPI