Sponsored by:

I have had 2 Indy shops and one dealer refuse to do a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
there is never, nor is there ever any "liability" for a shop that inspects a car. implied or otherwise, provided they have no ownership stake in the car.

unless of course some representation to the contrary is made. a PPI is an inspection. for better for worse, but nothing more, nothing less.

a guy inspects a house pre-purchase.. the roof caves in. you gonna send the inspector a bill? lol.
It's funny you use this example because the answer (at least here in CA) is yes. Home inspectors can be held liable for faults that they miss.

Though I agree, I have never heard of this happening with mechanics. THE EXCEPTION is state inspections, this is a good read from my home state. http://vtdigger.org/2015/08/15/mecha...on-of-vehicle/
Old 09-09-2016, 11:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
It's funny you use this example because the answer (at least here in CA) is yes. Home inspectors can be held liable for faults that they miss.

Though I agree, I have never heard of this happening with mechanics. THE EXCEPTION is state inspections, this is a good read from my home state. http://vtdigger.org/2015/08/15/mecha...on-of-vehicle/
great to see such lively responses to what is possibly my least clever analogy ever

notwithstanding my lousy analogy.. and not directed to you, per se...

in my lifetime of automotive experience pre-purchase inspections of vehicles in kali had heretofore never made the inspector liable for the integrity of the inspected vehicle. that's just insane and i don't believe anyone that anecdotally suggests they were able to wheedle compensation from an inspector of a vehicle that failed in some way post-inspection. it simply defies credulity. but ok, it happened. sure.

the bottom line is, an inspection is just that. it's not a friggin warranty lol.

reminds me of the "jerky boys" prank caller bit where the guy crashes into a crowd of people, calls a random attorney requesting representation, tells his story of running over a crowd, and the attorney says "i can't take your case", so the guy says, "ok then, i'll just sue you!!"

its a famous bit, and perhaps a better analogy.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 AM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drcheap
FYI-Finally got the shop who has seen the car (2001 TT) 3 times recently for routine maintainence to agree to a PPI, ONLY after the present owner requested it as a favor. The reason given each time was fear of liabilaity. They did not want to go on record listing possible faults in case they missed some.

I have gone through several big boat surveys both as a buyer and a seller, and know that the surveyor cannot catch everything, and they put a disclaimer in their report.

In the process of finally getting a PPI, after searching
why would you edit the open to a post with how it worked out? I quit reading after the PPI was accomplished in the 1st post, 3rd try. much less interested in reading the entire thread after you ruined the ending by updating the original post.

I am a get off my lawn guy though
Old 09-11-2016, 09:59 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A local Indy shop where I took my cars and my wife's car refused to do a track inspection for my e36 M3 track car because they were concerned about liability. That was the last time I ever went there.

Quick Reply: I have had 2 Indy shops and one dealer refuse to do a PPI