Sponsored by:

Is this a decent deal, or too high?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:50 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Is this a decent deal, or too high?

Like folks say, the prices for these models are all over the place. Anyway, I found this little gem, and it speaks to me. It says 'buy me now you jackwad!'. So, I wonder if it's too high mileage, or wrong options, or something else. I was thinking of a flat cash offer of $30k, drive it away as a start.

Selling my 996 Mk1 soon, and serious about getting a T.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4069/overview/

What say you?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

The dealers name sends up some red flags. The wing looks like it's not quite the same color as the rest of the car (poor respray) the rear bumper has interesting dimples to it. The front of the car has no rock chips which makes me wonder in what condition they got the car and why it doesn't have any rock chips. The interior looks half way taken care of but the bolster collapsing always screams to me at least that someone didn't know how to get in/out of their car. Lastly I hate car photos that are taken in a garage it always makes me ask "why is it in a garage, did it get painted, did they replace a bumper?"

If you want a turbo for as cheap as possible that's a great price for a rare color. As far as you getting it for 30k I doubt it as those types of dealers know their "flashy cars" will sell.

Best of luck!
Shawn
Old 08-09-2016, 08:55 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

That car definitely sends up red flags. Note the different door pulls and arm rest, one wood and the other not. 19" wheels, weird, funky speaker housing in the rear quarter and aftermarket wing all say ricer to me and makes me wonder about maintenance history. If you want a beater and just drive the sheeetz outta it then maybe that's the car to throw away your money on. $30k is probably spot on.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My take from just looking at the pictures ....

Rode hard and put away wet.

Maintenance if any was done as cheap as possible.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:03 AM
splitime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's even missing a lug bolt on one wheel (with 2 different sets being used). Lots of interesting things that aren't quite right.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

You really think they will take 20% off the asking price?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pay another 10k up front and get a nice car with good records= much cheaper in the long run. Plenty of nice 996tts around to choose from.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At the price you are considering offering I would gut that car and make it a track only vehicle. Make it rear wheel drive and no PSM, etc...basically a light GT2 for 30K! It would be awesome.

But as people have said above as a "real" car there are many things that look fishy there.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:29 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming car checks out, $37k is a fair price. I doubt dealer will take you seriously if you offer $30k.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Passenger headlight looks newer than the driver side headlight. The rubber gasket that outlines the passenger headlight looks darker, thicker too.

The wood trim is prone to coming apart, falling apart over time.

Go kick the tires and light the fires and learn how the car appears in person and how the engine sounds at cold start, as it idles, and on the road.

Remember: 15 mile test ride then a 15 mile test drive. The car must be used as you intend to use it.

Afterwards get the car in the air and carefully check for any leak sign or other signs of problems.

Get the DME engine run time and overrev counters read.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
You really think they will take 20% off the asking price?
1) I don't know, but as I said, start there.
2) There are plenty of reasons it prolly won't go out the door at the advertised price, unless someone walks in stupid, and drives out even more stupid.
3) I'm kinda known as the bottom feeder, so as much as it shames me(it really doesn't) asking 20% under the ad price seems to me like I'm doing the dealer a favor. I could have started at $28k. All they can do is say no.

edit: I bought my wife a lightly used Mini a few months ago. The dealer had it on the lot at $22,995. It was what she really wanted, and we talked about it. I offered $18k cash, and they countered at $22k. I left my name and number, and said I'd be looking this Sat and they should keep it in mind. They called me on the 27th day of month and said they could do it for $21k, but ONLY today! I said, ok I'll be in later. Didn't show, and they called back on the 29th and said I was supposed to come in for my $21k Mini. I told them we agreed on $20k, and wasn't going to come up anymore. They finally relented at said it was a deal at $20k. I told them it was going out of state for reg, and I wanted the car cash and carry with title, no xr fees, no doc fees, no sales tax, removal from state. They said no, so I told them sorry, not going to get fee'd to death. They called back an hour later and said they would do it. Will this car go out the door at $30k? Not likely, but it's one of the few decent color cars avail, so I don't have a lot of choice.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:41 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
1) I don't know, but as I said, start there.
2) There are plenty of reasons it prolly won't go out the door at the advertised price, unless someone walks in stupid, and drives out even more stupid.
3) I'm kinda known as the bottom feeder, so as much as it shames me(it really doesn't) asking 20% under the ad price seems to me like I'm doing the dealer a favor. I could have started at $28k. All they can do is say no.

edit: I bought my wife a lightly used Mini a few months ago. The dealer had it on the lot at $22,995. It was what she really wanted, and we talked about it. I offered $18k cash, and they countered at $22k. I left my name and number, and said I'd be looking this Sat and they should keep it in mind. They called me on the 27th day of month and said they could do it for $21k, but ONLY today! I said, ok I'll be in later. Didn't show, and they called back on the 29th and said I was supposed to come in for my $21k Mini. I told them we agreed on $20k, and wasn't going to come up anymore. They finally relented at said it was a deal at $20k. I told them it was going out of state for reg, and I wanted the car cash and carry with title, no xr fees, no doc fees, no sales tax, removal from state. They said no, so I told them sorry, not going to get fee'd to death. They called back an hour later and said they would do it. Will this car go out the door at $30k? Not likely, but it's one of the few decent color cars avail, so I don't have a lot of choice.
I like your style. People seem to think the seller has some sort of right not to hear low ball offers. Like you said all the can do is say no. You can always come up on your number but I've had no luck going lower after the fact.

Sounds like you are not in any rush to buy so all the power is on your side, not theirs. These cars are not as rare as some would have you believe.

That said, I would set aside a pile of cash if you buy this car. I agree with the others that little to no maintenance was ever done on this car. No reason to pass on it as long as you are ready to play catch-up on every item that was neglected since the first owner sold it.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
ALLUC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is what makes this board great. Though OP doesn't seem to be an emotional buyer there are many out there that should post their potential buy just as you did. The unbiased unemotional review of the ad highlighted key items for you to look at. Not all buyers are ocd nor would pick up the different shade of paint of the wing v body. And to spot the missing lug nut, awesome!

So kudos to those of you who spotted those details.

Btw I was an ocd buyer even had the seller send me pics of a blemish on a seat back at multiple angles to prove to me it wasn't cut just scuffed...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
Sounds like you are not in any rush to buy so all the power is on your side, not theirs. These cars are not as rare as some would have you believe.
Not rare at all, unless you are looking for unmodified, properly maintained, and well cared for vehicles from someone other than a wholesale dealer.

Looked at autotrader the other day for <75k miles <$40K manual coupes country wide. NADA. Nothing. Not even in silver!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think anything under $35k OTD is a fair deal.. but be prepared for finding some "wtf was the previous owner thinking" moments.

Quick Reply: Is this a decent deal, or too high?