Sponsored by:

Is this a decent deal, or too high?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
They called back an hour later and said they would do it.
You, Sir, are my hero. Lowball those folks into oblivion. If they don't like it they're welcome to wait for a fool to show up with more cash in hand. I bet you they're into the car for way less than $30k.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadetree930
My take from just looking at the pictures ....

Rode hard and put away wet.
^This.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I got a very nice PM from a turbo owner with great info on the model. Will use that as my guide going forward. Here's my must haves:

Not black, silver, gray, white(this cuts WAY down on possibles)
Not black int.
No cab.

Here's my like to haves:
Nav
few/no mods
AWD(are they all AWD?)
PSM(are they all PSM?)
no sunroof, rear wiper

I'm gonna keep my powder dry until I find that speed yellow, or orient red, or something like that. Don't want a pristine example cuz I plan to drive the shilt out of it at my price. Not a track dude, but I could go for a few hot laps once in a while. Thanks for the info, I'm learning all the time.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's my like to haves:
Nav
few/no mods
AWD(are they all AWD?)
PSM(are they all PSM?)
no sunroof, rear wiper
I wouldn't sweat the NAV, the newest 996 Turbos are 11 years old and the NAV is way dated. From what I saw during my time shopping (2H CY14) fewer than half the cars had NAV.

They are all AWD, except the GT2. All have PSM, except GT2.

No sunroof is possible but rare. I think they all have the rear wiper, but it's not hard to delete if it bothers you.

You're already ahead of the game since you're here and posting and reading...these guys were a HUGE help to me when I was shopping and I'm pretty happy with how it all worked out for me.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\ I would have to add the sunroof delete is ultra rare. Factor in no black/silver/gray/white and no black int, that is a near impossible car to find.

You are looking for quite a gem...
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
/\ I would have to add the sunroof delete is ultra rare.
Agreed.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:19 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Sunroof and rear wiper won't stop me so that's ok. My color choices are what lead me to this thread because of the colors of this model. I may have to grab it up and fix what needs doing.

Another potential but black int.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...33358824&Log=0
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have car ADD 50+ cars and I'm 46. So I do scour the Internet constantly and try to by as cheap as possible usually offering below kbb trade in value, so I'm with you there 100%. Although there are times the right car just commands all the money and a quick transaction.

But if you make a commitment to go in there and you've agreed on a price it should be done there. Not showing up is a bit unethical, simply not cool and very disrespectful of someone else's time. Not sure what they did to warrant being treated like that.

There's a lot to be said about good will and there is less and less of it around these days.

Good luck with your deal on this one and I do agree that p-cars in general can turn from good deals to bad ones very quickly.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 PM
splitime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I don't know, but as I said, start there.
2) There are plenty of reasons it prolly won't go out the door at the advertised price, unless someone walks in stupid, and drives out even more stupid.
3) I'm kinda known as the bottom feeder, so as much as it shames me(it really doesn't) asking 20% under the ad price seems to me like I'm doing the dealer a favor. I could have started at $28k. All they can do is say no.

edit: I bought my wife a lightly used Mini a few months ago. The dealer had it on the lot at $22,995. It was what she really wanted, and we talked about it. I offered $18k cash, and they countered at $22k. I left my name and number, and said I'd be looking this Sat and they should keep it in mind. They called me on the 27th day of month and said they could do it for $21k, but ONLY today! I said, ok I'll be in later. Didn't show, and they called back on the 29th and said I was supposed to come in for my $21k Mini. I told them we agreed on $20k, and wasn't going to come up anymore. They finally relented at said it was a deal at $20k. I told them it was going out of state for reg, and I wanted the car cash and carry with title, no xr fees, no doc fees, no sales tax, removal from state. They said no, so I told them sorry, not going to get fee'd to death. They called back an hour later and said they would do it. Will this car go out the door at $30k? Not likely, but it's one of the few decent color cars avail, so I don't have a lot of choice.
From the experience a handful of people I know have had with Minis... are you sure they didn't still 'take you'?

That said, I really should deal like that more often as even if it doesn't work the real truth is that it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Sunroof and rear wiper won't stop me so that's ok. My color choices are what lead me to this thread because of the colors of this model. I may have to grab it up and fix what needs doing.

Guards red over black is a classic and very tasteful combo. Seems like a whole 'lotta car for $40K and is definitely worth a closer look....if you can live with an automatic.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Might be the lighting but the interior pic of that car doesn't really look like it is of the same car. The center console and a-pillar colors are quite orange to my eyes.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubracer6
But if you make a commitment to go in there and you've agreed on a price it should be done there. Not showing up is a bit unethical, simply not cool and very disrespectful of someone else's time. Not sure what they did to warrant being treated like that.
I'm going to try to apologize - while keeping a straight face.

Which is kind of funny, coming from a self-described car ADD guy. There's about 20 cliches that work here; money talks, BS walks. Check's in the mail, fool and his money - soon parted. I disrespected a small time used car dealer in your eyes(not knowing anything about the way the salesman acted). I guess, well - whatev.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by splitime
From the experience a handful of people I know have had with Minis... are you sure they didn't still 'take you'?

That said, I really should deal like that more often as even if it doesn't work the real truth is that it doesn't hurt to try.
So, you know why I hammered them hard on price. My wife loves the Mini, so happy wife happy life, but I wasn't gonna go down the rathole on one of them. I think it was an honest transaction for both
Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

There are a long list of issues with the Mini that are pretty easy to ID but are expensive. PM me if you want a list.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PaleAle
There are a long list of issues with the Mini that are pretty easy to ID but are expensive. PM me if you want a list.
Yeah, I've had a Mini before for the wife, so pretty conversant, but thanks for the offer. Right now, the only thing I need are the rear lower control arm to fix the horrible rear wheel alignment. We had the check engine light on for variable idle, but found a cracked vac line. Her TPMS seems to have a mind of its own, and I have to reset it every month or so, but it's working out ok. Only 51k miles, when it gets up near 100k, I'll send it in for the cam chain, oil adjuster, and guides. We had an R51 with the hunting trans issue, and dumped that, I'm hoping the new trans(not CVT) is better, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Is this a decent deal, or too high?