Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 AM
bw1999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump help

Mark- Thanks for the great post. I found it so helpful. I know this is an old thread but finally got around to doing mine. I replaced both the pump and the 2 venturi tubes. Oddly, what did not come with the pump was the accordion style hose that went from the pump to a tank at the top of the compartment. You can see it in the diagram above coming off the back of the pump; it is short and curved. I reused the old one. Not sure if there are other options?

Since doing this fix, I am unable to put gas in the car unless I do it very slowly. I also have gotten a gas tank vent error. I have previously (maybe 1 year ago) replaced the gas tank vent tube (by the filler cap). Any ideas if that hose could be culprit? Other possibilities?

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like you got the filler tube pinched or at a weird angle where its not draining as fast as the nozzle pumps so its clicking off.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Stupid question: is that the accordion tube that I did not replace? If so, I think you may be correct.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:45 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I could be way off but I thought it was, the idea being that if the car runs out of fuel then the basket would be the first to get filled to prime the pump.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bw1999
Mark- Thanks for the great post. I found it so helpful. I know this is an old thread but finally got around to doing mine. I replaced both the pump and the 2 venturi tubes. Oddly, what did not come with the pump was the accordion style hose that went from the pump to a tank at the top of the compartment. You can see it in the diagram above coming off the back of the pump; it is short and curved. I reused the old one. Not sure if there are other options?

Since doing this fix, I am unable to put gas in the car unless I do it very slowly. I also have gotten a gas tank vent error. I have previously (maybe 1 year ago) replaced the gas tank vent tube (by the filler cap). Any ideas if that hose could be culprit? Other possibilities?

Thanks again
If you haven't solved this already, I'd start by confirming the connections are all intact and there are no kinks as pointed out already.
There are other generic fuel hose options that could work pointed out in this thread too.
I have the occasional slow fill too and need to install the new vent I bought last year, i presume the 15 year old one is the culprit. Also get inaccurate level readings sometimes if I do a partial fill.

One way to confirm you have proper fueling is to log the car with a Durametric or the one Kevin at UMW uses.
If you haven't confirmed your car is running properly yet, this and a boost pressure test would be a good idea.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:11 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Thanks Mark. I know it is not a fuse issue. I had already replaced, probably about a year and a few hundred miles ago, the filler neck vent. May test that out.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Daytonaman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Question: replaced the two rubber lines on the pump assembly (pump was ok) withe the Gates hose 12", these are for submersible use. While removing the 2 lines connected to the bottom of the bonnet, the plastic retainer that clamps the 2 lines together had broken and can't be reused. This retainer is not shown on any parts blowup or has no part #. Is this retainer necessary.
Car starts and runs normally. Worried the lines might slip off.
The above step by step photos made the job easy Thanks!
The best advice I got was to do the work outdoors only, and I used a HF drill pump with garden hoses to drain the tank.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:19 AM
Peter Jensen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JP. I am just catching onto this very old post but want to do some preventative work since my 996TT is now 18 years old. Sounds like this is a problem just waiting to happen. Approximately how much of this Gates hose (length?) did you need to replace the accordion lines in the tank? Is the 5/16 hose the correct size? While I have every thing open should I replace all the nylon accordion lines? Thanks very much for your help.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:28 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Jensen
JP. I am just catching onto this very old post but want to do some preventative work since my 996TT is now 18 years old. Sounds like this is a problem just waiting to happen. Approximately how much of this Gates hose (length?) did you need to replace the accordion lines in the tank? Is the 5/16 hose the correct size? While I have every thing open should I replace all the nylon accordion lines? Thanks very much for your help.
replace the lines, replace all of it or retrofit new parts.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:59 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Happy to help you Pete! I went in my garage and I got a brand new pump and measure the lenght of this hose...It is only 5 inches long! But give yourself a bit of room ;-) The one I bought was "GATES 27093 SUBMERSIBLE FUEL LINE HOSE, ESPECIALLY FOR INTANK FUEL PUMP UPGRADES" from Amazon. It come with two clamps
https://www.amazon.ca/Gates-27093-Submersible-Injection-Clamps/dp/B07ZLLDZWP ... https://www.amazon.ca/Gates-27093-Submersible-Injection-Clamps/dp/B07ZLLDZWP ...
I have to admit I did not like the clamps supplied so a bought the alligator type....

Last edited by jpflip; 01-31-2021 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpflip:
Carlo_Carrera (01-31-2021), Peter Jensen (01-31-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Peter Jensen
3rd Gear

Default Which lines to replace?

JP. I pulled everything out which was very easy. My question is on which lines to replace. From what I can gather from this post anything on the high pressure (discharge) side of the pump where the lines are nylon are venerable to leaks and splitting. If that logic is correct I think two lines on the discharge side of the pump (see yellow pointer)
and the lines that run to the Venturi pumps in the bottom pick up wells on each side should all be changed to be on the safe side. It appears the aluminum part in the discharge line is a check valve. Others on the post suggested the lines to these Venturi lines also are prone to failure problems. Thoughts?

Old 02-02-2021, 10:03 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

such an unnecessary issue re design.

the only motive i can think of for the design to include fuel lines - known to "split" - is planned obsolescence.

fuel line splits. solution for most = buy and r&r new fuel pump that come with lines known to fail - pre-attached.

clever.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:17 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Good job Pete! Look at this thread you will see the black U shape tube is the one that fail most often!!! Never heard on the brownish one failure....

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...e-failure.html

Last edited by jpflip; 02-02-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:25 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

And here Pumalex did a very good explanation of the fuel pump...He also had to replace the small U shape rubber hose.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html
The following users liked this post:
diverzeusy (09-24-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Peter Jensen
3rd Gear

Thanks to all for the advice. I was about to replace all the wrong hoses thinking the nylon ones were the culprit! I wish all my fixes were this inexpensive and simple! Appreciate all the input from this forum. It is invaluable!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Install