Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler goes up and down fine but an error light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:02 PM
KPexEA
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear spoiler goes up and down fine but an error light comes on

I'm assuming there is a sensor that detects if the spoiler moves and that sensor has failed as the spoiler goes up and down just fine (both with the button and automatically while driving).

Does anyone know how to diagnose if the sensor has failed or if it is just a blown fuse or loose wire? If the sensor has indeed died, it is something I can easily replace myself?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 04-07-2016, 03:59 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Take a look at the right hand actuator. There is a small plastic cover over the base of the actuator. Take it off and look at the condition of the switch and also look if it is not out of the holder.....May be you got one actuator leaking....I you search this forum you will get lots of answers....
Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at the bottom of the spoiler Rams, do you see any fluid on them when you open the hood. My spoiler light came on and spoiler operated normally for months, then I began having uneven deployment. May be time to refill it.

Either way the spoiler is going to fail.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are the limit switches (ref 11 & 12).

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/au...t/spoiler-scat
Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Here are the limit switches (ref 11 & 12).

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/au...t/spoiler-scat
My search for a compatible switch lead nowhere. Those switches are normally less than $10.00 each but , I guess, Porsche got a specific one made by Burgess just for them....I have looked at the Burgess site but cannot found anything similar....

Good place for switches :http://www.digikey.ca
Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory Troubleshooting guide here http://rennkit.com/why-factory-set-fails/ scroll all the way down.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great job Dave.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Look at the bottom of the spoiler Rams, do you see any fluid on them when you open the hood. My spoiler light came on and spoiler operated normally for months, then I began having uneven deployment. May be time to refill it.

Either way the spoiler is going to fail.
^^^ This.

The difference between right & left ram operation can set off the light. Mine came on with the slightest weeping of the driver's side ram; with no perceptible difference in right/left rate of rise. It will only get worse.

Many threads here on your alternatives...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by techweenie
The difference between right & left ram operation can set off the light. Many threads here on your alternatives...
Close... Only the passenger side ram can directly cause the dreaded Spoiler Failure Warning. The drivers side has no feedback to tell the ECU if it is coordinated with the right ram. So...regardless of what the left side is doing, if the right side is not perfect (won't go up all the way, won't go down all the way, bad top microswitch, bad bottom microswitch or wiring issue...etc.) ECU throws the warning.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Erich K.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Close... Only the passenger side ram can directly cause the dreaded Spoiler Failure Warning. The drivers side has no feedback to tell the ECU if it is coordinated with the right ram. So...regardless of what the left side is doing, if the right side is not perfect (won't go up all the way, won't go down all the way, bad top microswitch, bad bottom microswitch or wiring issue...etc.) ECU throws the warning.
Matches my experience - weeping fluid and intermittent dash light.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:47 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Bzzzt

My driver's side ram was failing (the most common one to fail) triggering the fail light.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
Bzzzt

My driver's side ram was failing (the most common one to fail) triggering the fail light.
That doesn't mean that it's the driver's side ram that is triggering the light though. If the driver's side ram leaks enough and causes the wing to raise crooked enough, it will cause the passenger side to not go up as far as it is supposed to, which will trigger the light. Technically the passenger side ram is the one that sends the warning signal. There are no electrical switches or connections on the driver's side.

Dan
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ all perfectly correct advice and anyone in that stage of failure is a perfect candidate for a simple refill of fluid. problem(s) solved.

but i gotta say..dave's advice has to also though be considered as comprehensively correct as any. including dans above. he has a patent pending for cryin out loud.

i can't imagine anyone having more thorough knowledge of the inner workings of this peculiar setup than dave. criminy. either way, don't anyone dare disdain a refill. i'm on my "second" re-bleed/refill and the car is 13 years old w 135k miles and w strosek on back it works perfectly every single time. up & down ad nauseum
Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
^ all perfectly correct advice and anyone in that stage of failure is a perfect candidate for a simple refill of fluid. problem(s) solved. but i gotta say..dave's advice has to also though be considered as comprehensively correct as any. including dans above. he has a patent pending for cryin out loud. i can't imagine anyone having more thorough knowledge of the inner workings of this peculiar setup than dave. criminy. either way, don't anyone dare disdain a refill. i'm on my "second" re-bleed/refill and the car is 13 years old w 135k miles and w strosek on back it works perfectly every single time. up & down ad nauseum
thanks Mark, I had a guy tell me today he removed the pump and was trying to refill/bleed and refill his system "in order to make it to Hershey". Guess what, first drive there were leaks everywhere. He removed the pump and plugged the bottom of the Rams. Unfortunately my kit will not arrive in time for his trip.
You are lucky if it's holding, based on the many stories and eRam kits out there.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it's true dave, it's fraught with peculiarities for *most* without a pretty decent level of DIY experience AND direct knowledge of the system itself.

my tech has done this a 1000 times. i kid you not. it's like an hour ( if that! ) and we listen to sublime and smoke two joints lol

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler goes up and down fine but an error light comes on