Sponsored by:

Recommendation for a flash

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChemMan
Same experience here. Very happy with Markski's tune.
I hear those tunes have the beat.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM
calandri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for your replies!

Originally Posted by Berra
Has anyone measured performance figures with the tunes? 60-130? 0-100? Compared to other cars?
Hey that is pretty interesting... otherwise you dont know which tune is better, right?

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it's about as hard to find folks with complaints with their tunes etc as it is posts about how few issues their cars have. that said, the guys that tend to customize their tunes to suit their individual clients needs tend to be more client oriented and after tune available, as there WILL be stuff to tweak as you ( if ) you add stuff down the line and who doesn't....

the usual suspects come to mind. umw/911tuning/cobb thru sam at by design just to name a few. but many/most OTS tunes for these cars provided it is a "first" mod w maybe just exhaust, any reputable tuner ( fvd/cargraphics/giac/evoms ) will also work just fine. keep in mind, folks have been tuning these for over 10-15 years. not too many ways to reinvent the tune, by now. unless the tune is part specific e.g. hybrid/larger than stock turbo's/injectors/ etc etc.. it becomes "parts dependent, but not if a tune is the "first and only" thing you'd be doing. best however to think ahead, and go with a tuner ( smaller ) place that will let/help you re-flash as your goals and parts for the car change over time. also the smaller shops that have tunes, tend to be less, off the shelf, expensive.
I understand your point, but I have seen many issues with ****ty chip tunes on diesel cars such us perforated cilinders, damaged headgaskets burned turbos... damn a lot of bad things... and you dont want that for your TT.

But as you said, those you mention are well known...
Old 12-02-2015, 09:03 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by calandri
thanks guys for your replies!

Hey that is pretty interesting... otherwise you dont know which tune is better, right?

I understand your point, but I have seen many issues with ****ty chip tunes on diesel cars such us perforated cilinders, damaged headgaskets burned turbos... damn a lot of bad things... and you dont want that for your TT.

But as you said, those you mention are well known...
i think in the early days, the more known german tuners ( i.e. cargraphics/fvd et al ) were the "safest" and most reliable ( by reputation ) and most likely to have the porsche platforms figured out pretty quickly, given their known history with them, and again, we're talking 15 years ago. now everyone's got stuff figured out lol.

but many of the newer tuners ( and i wont name names and have only been told this anecdotally ) have really ( for lack of a better descriptive explanation/analogy ) for the "most part" just "back engineered" other tuners 996 turbo tunes. now, thats not ALL true, but true for some. i'm sure that ALL tweak their tunes to suit their customers wants/needs.

but giac or evoms for example, have been probably used as a baseline start point for many. while the flip side might well be someone like protomotive and todds mafless "custom" tunes for example, might well be a good example of the flip side of the equation.

i have an ancient cargraphics tune tuned for 16/24's ( i believe FVD also may have an OTS shelf for their hybrid turbo's they sell, though I'm not 100% certain..? ) but if you're gonna keep something you hope to last long term, get the best you can at the time that is best suited to whatever you're bolting on.

but all that said, all OTS tunes aren't bad or inefficient. i have an apr off the shelf vw chip and it took a little rabbit from 200 to 250 hp with just a chip, intake, and catback downpipe!

many porsche tunes do that equally capably.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by calandri
thanks guys for your replies!Hey that is pretty interesting... otherwise you dont know which tune is better, right?
Exactly. Sure, most can do a specific tune but what if you took 5 Turbos with aftermarket exhausts and tune only, which would do best? I guess they are all very close but I would still like to know.

I saw a test posted here on RL between RS-Tuning, Sportec and some other companies, can't seem to find it now.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Exactly. Sure, most can do a specific tune but what if you took 5 Turbos with aftermarket exhausts and tune only, which would do best? I guess they are all very close but I would still like to know.

I saw a test posted here on RL between RS-Tuning, Sportec and some other companies, can't seem to find it now.
Speed has very little to do with whats better. Just about any idiot can make a tune make power at WOT.

doing it over and over again, reducing timing/boost appropriately as IATs, CT, or OT come up, retaining the factory safeguards, etc is where the real brilliance of a tune comes into play.

Just me, but I'm not risking a $30k motor for that last five hp.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

Tony@ EPL was the only one who could 'guarantee' that he could reflash over the GIAC setup I had...beyond being a 'tuner', he is a software development engineer, also lets him do things some of the others aren't doing with the stock ECU...I was considering a few others, of course including UMW/Kevin and 911Tuning/Markski
0-60, 60-130, 1/4 etc etc measure performance only, need to consider the reliability/consistency aspect...that said, traps mid 120's, 8.0 60-130 in 4th only...on 91oct, stock turbos
Old 12-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Speed has very little to do with whats better. Just about any idiot can make a tune make power at WOT.

doing it over and over again, reducing timing/boost appropriately as IATs, CT, or OT come up, retaining the factory safeguards, etc is where the real brilliance of a tune comes into play.

Just me, but I'm not risking a $30k motor for that last five hp.
Isn't reliability and such obvious? For me it is and I wasn't talking hp figures, I wanna know which is the best overall. That means what you mentioned above.

I'll gladly give away power and a few tenths in order to have a healthy, safe and factory reliable engine.

Personally, I'm seeing two options and that is either RS-Tuning or UMW.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by 993GT
0-60, 60-130, 1/4 etc etc measure performance only, need to consider the reliability/consistency aspect...that said, traps mid 120's, 8.0 60-130 in 4th only...on 91oct, stock turbos
Awesome numbers! Have you ever logged data about IAT and such?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

At the end of the day, pick the tuner that will answer your emails and provide you the service that YOU feel that you need for your application.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Isn't reliability and such obvious?.
actually no.

Lots of tuners can nail WOT hp no problem, but the driveability is for ****.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:52 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I'm happy with it, it's a real freight train! Has been flawless -5C to 40C temps.
Have done a numbers of logs, which I share with EPL and made some fine adjustments to dial in and how I want the car to respond/boost/throttle curves etc.

Awesome numbers! Have you ever logged data about IAT and such?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:53 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

+1,
Originally Posted by Kevin
At the end of the day, pick the tuner that will answer your emails and provide you the service that YOU feel that you need for your application.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I wonder and seriously doubt whether or not folks that are new to these cars and considering tuners, and concerned that one tune might maximize their output by a few hp, over another making one "safer"? than the other are actually aware that the gt1 cars of which this essentially same block mezger motor employed, put out 600+whp. point being, any tune from a reputable and "known" reliable source is going to be "safe" for the motor and WELL within the safe power limits of the internals. eg 414 for a stock k16 car pushed to let's say, 450-475 with a tune and exhaust, isn't going to make a bit of discernible difference to the motor or affect its longevity, long term.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I wonder and seriously doubt whether or not folks that are new to these cars and considering tuners, and concerned that one tune might maximize their output by a few hp, over another making one "safer"? than the other are actually aware that the gt1 cars of which this essentially same block mezger motor employed, put out 600+whp. point being, any tune from a reputable and "known" reliable source is going to be "safe" for the motor and WELL within the safe power limits of the internals. eg 414 for a stock k16 car pushed to let's say, 450-475 with a tune and exhaust, isn't going to make a bit of discernible difference to the motor or affect its longevity, long term.
this post just displays your ignorance about tuning. Its not the power output of the tune thats the problem.

Its that some tuners will disable the factory safeguards in order to keep the power numbers higher for longer, despite higher intake temps or oil temps, or crappy gas, etc.

Some run the car lean to get that extra few hp. Some advance the timing and then disable the safe guards.

Its not about the power, its about how desparately the tuner wants to tell everyone that his tune extracts the most performance out of the car.

It takes less than a few seconds of legitimate detonation to destroy even forged pistons.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this post just displays your ignorance about tuning. Its not the power output of the tune thats the problem.

Its that some tuners will disable the factory safeguards in order to keep the power numbers higher for longer, despite higher intake temps or oil temps, or crappy gas, etc.

Some run the car lean to get that extra few hp. Some advance the timing and then disable the safe guards.

Its not about the power, its about how desparately the tuner wants to tell everyone that his tune extracts the most performance out of the car.

It takes less than a few seconds of legitimate detonation to destroy even forged pistons.
you can attempt to disparage whatever i may know or not at your leisure. it matters not.

but for the record, i never suggested ALL tuners do whats best for the car, i suggested the car can easily handle 600 whp. however you get there, and thats a fact. but lets you and i not chat further. how about that. although to further illustrate how off base you are in your criticism of what i posted, i said the tune could be safely tuned to 450/475 absent issue, and that is "generally" true. particularly in view of the x50 car being 444 crank from the factory, and thats a stock tune for their k24 car. but i've fkd with your lame a** before and have no desire to have at it again. so whatever.

i said: any tune from a reputable and "known" reliable source is going to be "safe" for the motor and WELL within the safe power limits of the internals. eg 414 for a stock k16 car pushed to let's say, 450-475 with a tune and exhaust, isn't going to make a bit of discernible difference to the motor or affect its longevity, long term.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a flash