Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Cash only no check etc, paint work due to hitting a curb, mileage discrepancy on title...no records. That's why it is priced where it is priced. Always stored outdoor in South Fla...
Old 07-04-2017, 09:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

How bad is the mileage discrepancy? Does it look like a rollback or just a typo molehill turned into a Carfax mountain?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
Cash only no check etc, paint work due to hitting a curb, mileage discrepancy on title...no records. That's why it is priced where it is priced. Always stored outdoor in South Fla...
"Financial hardship," so might as well ask $10k less than most would expect...Don't know where this guy's head is, the price alone is a red flag to any educated buyer.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

He said that they lost the title and when they reapplied what they told the title agency didn't match, but he said the mileage is true. He is selling for his ex-boss who is in some sort of distress hence the CASH only sale. Car is currently at a shop as it need a new shifter cable/linkage. In my brief conversation, my conclusion was the car was taken care of with an open checkbook, but not properly taken care of, and it's a bit of a shady sale. The seller does not care what he gets for the car as he is getting a seller's fee and the only comp he used to sell was an eBay listing on a car that has not sold yet. The accident does not show on carfax as it was not reported, just taken care of out of pocket.

What do you think the car is worth after that quick synopsis?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

I was thinking about heading up tomorrow morning to check it out, but...ehh.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Almost forgot, the vehicle is in a company name...company is apparently listed as inactive. Not a real concern, just more icing on the cake. Good idea to make sure the vin's match.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

I'd hazard $45k (pun intended) with a clean PPI, maybe PPI x2 in this case. Problem is any future sale tells this same story...But I think the car is worth over $50k without the story.

The guy posted it on the FB 996tt forum, his profile shows a Florida dude with gold chains, draw your own conclusions.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:44 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Car could need 10K of work and still be in semi-crappy condition with bad paint repair, or just need a great detail and the shifter cable issue resolved...No way to know without looking at it closely.

Maybe 'shifter linkage' is being falsely attributed to clutch slave or clutch issues? Or second gear pop-out? Did it have the 30K service? spoiler rams ok?

Just a few of these type of issues will have you at $5K for dealer repairs mighty quickly ( though half that or less if you have the knowledge, tools, time, and are willing to spend plenty of hours working on it yourself.)

Not to mention inspecting the PCCB rotors for cracks if some monkey changed the wheels...

In general, I'm buying into the seller almost as much as the car. If i get the sense that any issue he or she was at least aware of was taken care of, great. If they are putting off repairs because of financial difficulties, not a great situation.

I looked at sooo many 996 Turbo's before grabbing one... The variation in condition only realized with eyes on (and under) the car is staggering. I think the overall reliability and reputation of the Mezger engine lead people into a false sense of calm about the potential cost of getting a intentionally or unintentionally neglected 996 turbo back up to 100%.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I just saw this seller posting about the Cab S on facebook as well... Seller got into a bit of a scrum with another guy calling BS on his ad.

He posted a picture of the title. I read off the VIN, WP0CB29915S675579, if anyone wants to carfax it. Supposedly the shifter cables have been addressed as well. If I was local, I'd at least give it a look. Doesn't seem like a scam, but of course that doesn't mean it's a decent car! I wouldn't touch it or even order a PPI without putting my own eyes on it first.

I pulled the build sheet as well...
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfbz
I just saw this seller posting about the Cab S on facebook as well... Seller got into a bit of a scrum with another guy calling BS on his ad.

He posted a picture of the title. I read off the VIN, WP0CB29915S675579, if anyone wants to carfax it. Supposedly the shifter cables have been addressed as well. If I was local, I'd at least give it a look. Doesn't seem like a scam, but of course that doesn't mean it's a decent car! I wouldn't touch it or even order a PPI without putting my own eyes on it first.

I pulled the build sheet as well...
Lol at "I'm legit I just sold an 07 Maserati."
Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Lol at "I'm legit I just sold an 07 Maserati."
LOL - I missed that quote - where did he say that?

Not sure there's an actual odometer discrepancy on this car, though. Looks like they got a new title and the mileage is showing as exempt because it is over 10 years old (the Dept of Revenue does the same thing here). Then, there's another guy saying that it was reported with 50,000 miles on it in 2009, but he's confused. The report he is citing (research.com) has a notation for 2009 showing that the warranty expired for time and has a notation of "50,000 miles" which is the mileage limit on the factory warranty (4 years/50,000 miles).

The cash thing is a little bit scary because apparently they really do mean CASH (he says they won't take a check). They must have some garnishment or tax lien issues. I know a guy here in KC that bought a seal gray '05 996tts in Vegas. He said that he was forced to bring cash to buy it and had to meet the guy in a hangar on the back side of the Las Vegas airport. Yikes!

Regardless of how scary, scammy, etc. it is, I'll bet this car will be sold in the next couple of days. Just too much car for the $$.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Originally Posted by kcattorney
LOL - I missed that quote - where did he say that?
I paraphrased, but it's in the FB scrum, definitely a must read!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
?...Regardless of how scary, scammy, etc. it is, I'll bet this car will be sold in the next couple of days. Just too much car for the $$.
Agreed, this will be an excellent buy for the right person. Fix up and flip or fix up and drive.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Decided it isn't worth the 45min drive up...too many stories (accident, paint, etc.) and I'd rather spend the extra money on a well kept car. I don't love flippers, for many reasons, so I will let someone else snag this! Could be a hell of a deal for someone though!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Agreed, this will be an excellent buy for the right person....
Could be a hell of a deal for someone though!
Or a complete freaking nightmare... Which is more likely.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds