Sponsored by:

Engine serial number location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:49 PM
vongo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine serial number location?

Does anyone know where the physical location of the engine serial number is located? I've found where the regular 996 engine serial number is located (off the sump), but I can't find anywhere that shows the turbo engine s/n location.
I've got some numbers on the drivers side cylinder casing that was engraved in at some point and I'm trying to make sense of. Anyone know why they would do this?

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

The serial number is stamped on the lower case half flange. Far right and bottom on your top picture. The number can be viewed from the passenger side of the case when the cosmoline is removed.

The engraved numbers are in group sets for piston/liner pairs when the engine is assembled. The cylinder heads also have these type of engraved numbers. All by hand.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
vongo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found it!!! Now I know why I couldn't find any reference online... it is hidden in plain sight! Just need to to clean it off.

Thanks for the clarification on the engraved numbers... I was thinking that maybe the engine had been apart for some reason.

Many Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 07:30 AM
barth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vongo
Found it!!! Now I know why I couldn't find any reference online... it is hidden in plain sight! Just need to to clean it off.

Thanks for the clarification on the engraved numbers... I was thinking that maybe the engine had been apart for some reason.

Many Thanks!
Hmm my flanke are broken so it's not possible to se the number...
Is it possible to se the engine number some where else?
I was told by the builder of my car that it should be an gt2 engine, and it would be nice to find out.

Last edited by barth; 11-19-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Misspellings...

Quick Reply: Engine serial number location?