Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who are we?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like this thread. Early 40s, wife, 2 kids. Work for the City of LA. 996TT was my first Porsche. had it about 1 1/2 years. (Found out today that it has the X50 package! Score!)

Have LOTS of hobbies. No pets at the moment but used to have a cat. :-) She was a Russian blue. Acted more like a dog than a cat so we loved her. :-D

ATROX, are you forgetting the saltwater tank you have? haha. Mine is currently fallow due to Ich.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 296 Posts

I used to have an R75 as well, it was an awesome bike. Had to sell it during the last recession and I still regret that day...

Back to the who are we part though. Mid 30's, great wife, 10mo kid, and a black lab mix rescue dog. My first Porsche was a '68 912 that I melted a piston in, rebuilt the motor and sold it for about double what I paid for it. Turned those proceeds into a '79 911SC Targa that needed a trans rebuild. All done while I was in college (easier when I had so little responsibilities...) About 4 years ago I bought a 996 C4S and after tracking it for a while decided I needed a Turbo so I sold the C4S and picked up a nice Turbo last year at Thanksgiving. Been fun working on the car and enjoying the boost!

Like most everyone who has commented, lots of other hobbies too...
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My name is Mark, and I'm a new Porsche addict.

I landed in Porsche-land after drooling over Ferraris since the days of Magnum P.I., but was redirected to Porsche thanks to a level-headed wife who is my voice of reason. Turns out that Porsche Turbos clock faster-than-Ferrari 0-60 times, and they do pretty much everything a Ferrari does, but better, including cost to maintain. So I researched, found that 996TTs are actually a bargain compared to other models, and might even go up in value.

The only thing P-cars lack is a lot of noise. I love the Ferrari noise. So, at the top of my mod wish-list is a street-legal muffler bypass system using the factory PSE switch available in the Carrera, to give me more noise (like a Ferrari), when I want it. I tried one setup using cheap Manzo mufflers and 49-state legal 3" cats, which other members assured me would pass smog, but the drone nearly killed my ears. I think if the mufflers were connected, there might have been some cross-wave cancellation that could have eliminated the resonance at 2200-2400RPM.
Wide open on bypass though, was a sound that I could only describe as legendary. Or obnoxious, if you're not a fan of the flat-six sound. But I am, so it was "legendary". I went to my local muffler place, wanting him to help with the drone, and he refused to work on the system I'd had built, saying that it wasn't smog legal and he could get in trouble. References to shops in North L.A. and East Ventura counties that work on aftermarket exhaust are gratefully accepted.

I'll be going back to stock exhaust this weekend though, until I figure out the best system. Maybe I can bastardize a Kline exhaust with a pair of valved bypass pipes. I also had thought to just drill into the back of the stock exhaust system and put a pipe in that could vent straight from the cats when I open the valves. I might build both as tests.

If anyone has a used aftermarket X-pipe exhaust setup, preferably with 3" pipes, that they want to offload, I'm in the market. I don't need clean and pristine, as I'll be chopping into it anyway. I also plan to buy a couple of stock turbo exhausts, one so I can use the stock cats on my custom Kline-based system and one so I can cut into it with valved bypass pipes.

I've been a computer geek since the 80's. Somewhere along the line, I started managing the geeks. I like to play Fallout 4 and write fiction in my spare time. The wife and I take the RV out camping a few times a year, "roughing it" in style. Our daily drivers are BMWs. The kids are all grown up and on their way into the world, leaving us to plan for a nice quiet retirement. Except for the exhaust noise...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^look at the exhaust mod people do by drilling into the exhaust to get a better sound.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't show pic, Ex-Govt type person. But now a CFO, wife, 4 grown kids, three grandkids, and a Shiloh Shepard. Oh, and 23 Koi in the pond.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

33, work in tech field- former in controls engineering, physics simulation design, worked on a well known race sim game and did some work for manufacturers and pro teams. Now building/designing programs that uses predictive analytics to deliver ad content. No kids, always have been a dog guy but now have 2 cats (brother and sister from same litter, 9 months old). Engaged to a woman that somewhat tolerates my car addiction.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm 33. I work as a DBA to bankroll the automotive addiction. I have a very understanding wife who I met when we both were into another type of car. We have two huskies that don't care about the Porsches at all.

I've started a local Porsche group on FB that is about 250 members strong now. I started creating events for the members to get together in the last 8 months which has been a lot of fun.

I've had my 996 Turbo for about 4.5 years now. I can't see myself ever getting rid of it voluntarily. This is my car I am forever modding.
Name:  CtZDJFK.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  2.49 MB

I also have a 987.2 Cayman S for a daily driver.
Name:  qNJykUL.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  3.05 MB
Old 04-22-2017, 09:17 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

39 (today!)
Married
2 kids 10/6 boy/girl
2yo golden
Orthopaedic Surgery
Had the redTT almost 2 years...944TS for the preceding 15 years....sold it too soon
Fun to say I own the 944t of 911's---tons of speed and value!

Also an E30 cab and E34 I am restoring
Jeep

I want a GT4...need more garage space

And a boat
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason952-Orthos have such cool tools, seriously-and in stainless. My First job, Greenville, SC, 1971...head of our Atlanta ortho residency program was convinced to move to Greenwood SC by his former students...love SC
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by drcheap
Jason952-Orthos have such cool tools, seriously-and in stainless. My First job, Greenville, SC, 1971...head of our Atlanta ortho residency program was convinced to move to Greenwood SC by his former students...love SC
Yes, I get plenty of scrubs, gloves, and surgical tools to work on my my cars from my daughter who is a surgical Pathologist at MD Anderson in Houston.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

45. Recently single. Totally a cat guy, but let my ex keep them in the separation.

Run a machine shop that I bought 5 years ago, but am an accountant by trade...
Old 04-22-2017, 09:12 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

@drcheap , you are in GA right? I saw your car at Werks Reunion
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jason952
@drcheap , you are in GA right? I saw your car at Werks Reunion
yes sir!

And met at the Porsche Experience this past Friday am, my 4th visit-met Hurley Haywood and got a pic with him-I am not worthy-cruised with group to Social Circle for a group lunch, then on to Road Atlanta and the Mitty, BBQ and some parade laps-life is good!

You and everyone else come to the Porsche Experience to meet up-tour, side by side sim racing, track time if you wish-food-NEW world class Hotel going up next door with roof top restraurant-too expensive for Dr cheap. I live about 8 miles from the Experience,

Make it a weekend and we can go to Atlanta Motorsports Park for a tour, guest track pass for the day-Carpe Diem, all...
Old 05-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Signalmtb
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drcheap

ahh good 'ol Greenwood...my hometown. First ever Porsche experience was in 1988...friend just got his license and his dad bought him an '87 944. Started the love affair.

If you're looking for places to ride dirt roads and drink beer shoot me a PM
Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
ahh good 'ol Greenwood...my hometown. First ever Porsche experience was in 1988...friend just got his license and his dad bought him an '87 944. Started the love affair.

If you're looking for places to ride dirt roads and drink beer shoot me a PM
My firSt P car ride was in Greenville in a 912 on top of Paris(?) Mountain..

Quick Reply: Who are we?