Sponsored by:

Flying to LA to see this '01 TT tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying to LA to see this '01 TT tomorrow

Sold my '99 C2. Now looking for a '01 TT....

Assuming the car checks out and have no stories, at what price would make this car a 'great deal'? '01 TT

Has anyone seen or know the history of this car? Any experience dealing with Truspeed Motorsport in Costa Mesa? TIA!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She looks sweet...Can't offer anything regarding the history of that car...Slightly off topic, but I too am in the market for an '01 or '02 TT. Just curious, the front bumperettes...Are they easily removed??? Are there holes left over or does the bumper need to be painted if removed. The one I am looking at does not have them...
Old 09-11-2003, 02:27 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

I'm also curious about how easily the bumperettes can be removed. I think the car looks much better without them.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 AM
Fanman
Instructor

Default Pretty Easily.

Go to www.bumperplugs.com. Fairly easy to remove.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:49 AM
Michael W.
Intermediate

John,

The car looks really nice. The red interior looks much better in person than in pictures, IMHO.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM
CAPTLST
Instructor

Awesome looking car!!! I love the optional carpet in a different color. The price is very good as well. On the topic of the bumper plugs, they are aweful to try to remove. I belive you need some body work as well to remove them. I saw that car on eBay and thought what a great car except for the bumperettes. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

The bumperettes must indicate that it's an early '01 TT, probably spring '00 production car. Do you guys see any problem issues to look out for on the early MY01 cars?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

$88K sounds like a GREAT deal for you, and a CRAPPY deal for the rest of us owners.

Given all the options that are listed, my car looks similarly equipped (although with the tiptronic and the arguably more popular black interior) and I paid $98,500 @ BH Porsche 6 months ago!!! (of course the market was ever so slightly stronger back then)

I hope you get it and enjoy it in good health!!

Also, about the bumperettes - If it were me, I would not just use bumper plugs. While you're down in OC, go visit Bob @ Anzianos Bad Boy Cars in Santa Ana - he can put on a replacement bumper or even an aftermarket GT2 style bumper for around $2000 - painted, installed, and out the door. http://www.anzianos.com/Bumpers.htm

Incidentally he also has the GT2 style wing that is designed to fit on the hydraulic wing lifters of the standard Turbo - it's a pretty good deal too.

I don't know how familiar you are with OC, but while you're down here, feel free to drop a line and we'll go Porsche driving. ryan@gaytanfoods.com

Old 09-12-2003, 01:51 AM
LSM
Racer

Car wholesales for $79-82k, offer no more than $85k, that would make it a good deal. $82-83 k would make it a great deal.

-Lou
Old 09-12-2003, 02:49 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Checked out the car today. With the exception of a few slight paint scratches on the right and left front fenders (probably from flying road debris), the car looks great inside and out.

One concern that I have is that the car was sold new in the LA area, then shipped by the owner to Hawaii and just recently came back to the mainland and is now up for sale. I'm not sure if this is even an issue, but do you guys think that the fact the car was overseas in Hawaii for most of its lifetime will have an adverse effect on future resale value?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

John...

I'm from Hawaii and I think I know about what car you are talking about. This car belonged to Dr. Dericks. He is a real car guy and takes very good care of his cars. This was the first TT to arrive in Hawaii. I still remember the day I saw it at the dealership.

Let me know if you have questions about the car. Or, e-mail me: yeungchr@hawaii.edu
Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

I can't see any reason why being in Hawaii would be a problem - especially if the Cosmoline was never removed (to prevent salt water damage/rust). If you're truly concerned, call up Newport Auto Center (closes P-dealer to Truspeed) and have them do a PPI.

LSM - As I've stated in the past I totally and completely disagree with your pricing report. You're a good guy, but those prices JUST DONT EXIST in los angeles. I don't know what kind of weird car market you have in chicago, but I don't see how a nice, low mile 993TT can sell for $65K - $75K in the L.A. Times and you say a 996TT sells for only a few thousand over that??!?!

Old 09-14-2003, 11:27 PM
CAPTLST
Instructor

I am with Trojan Man. LSM, I don't know where you get these prices. I am in the car business and don't even see deals like you are talking about!!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

For us rubes in downstate Illinois that car would go for about $94K from a dealer.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

I'm with LSM on this one. We have to keep in mind this is a private party sale, not a dealer. Although the asking price of most cars is higher, the price needed to actually move a car is very near wholesale. The 993 TT maintains a (relatively) high resale because they are less prevalent, and they were the last air cooled turbo. The 993 is a much more engaging drive, which may appeal to certain people. When you say it "sold" in the LA Times, do you mean it is advertized for this price, or do you personally know it sold for that price? Someone can ask whatever they want.

Quick Reply: Flying to LA to see this '01 TT tomorrow