Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
Default new!!! CLASSIC SHIFT **** - Delrin/Aluminum

Hey guys, just wanted to share my new shift **** design with you...

CLASSIC SHIFT ****

Classic ball ****, with a slight cutout around the equator for added grip - comes in either anodized aluminum or Delrin.

It's available in Standard height (comparable to stock), or in the Extended height version to raise the **** 1.5 to 2-inches - ideal for use with a short shifter. (Personally, I find the Porsche short shifter throws a little too short for my liking, and requiring a hair too much effort. The raised **** smooths the throws out, and I like having the **** located closer to the steering wheel.)

With the Standard base, both set screws are hidden from view. With the Extended base, a single set screw is visible on the right side of the shaft. And as you can see from the pic, several color and material combinations are available.

Here are some pictures showing the CSK - Extended version (Silver base / Black Delrin ****) - installed in my 996, with the Console Riser Kit. In that configuration the shifter is up high and close to the steering wheel, yielding some quick shifts!

And I'm now offering the option for shift pattern engraving - the product page has been updated accordingly:
http://www.function-first.com/produc...sic-shift-****

If interested, please place your order by Sunday, June 14 - I require a minimum of 10 ***** for the engraving job to be completed by the machine shop, and I'd like to get these finished for you guys and shipped out ASAP!

Please don't hesitate to PM/email/post if you have any questions. Thanks!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:51 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You should see if there's interest for P-crest engraving.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That could be a future consideration, but I'm honestly not sure how that would go over from a legal standpoint...
Old 06-08-2015, 03:27 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Nice shifter. I have a question regarding your console riser kit. I have a double din head unit and would need to locate the climate control unit in the lower shelf instead of the storage bin as in the picture above. Is that possible or would I need to get a single din audio unit instead of the double and place the climate unit in the upper console?

Thanks...
Old 06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For the lower console, you can choose the "Climate Control" configuration, which would place the HVAC unit in place of the storage bin seen above.

See attached pic from another RL member who did a nice before/after picture of that configuration installed in his Boxster Red interior:
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Received mine yesterday, very high quality build, excellent packing. Extremely pleased so far. Can't wait to have it installed.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
...with the Console Riser Kit...the shifter is up high and close to the steering wheel, yielding some quick shifts!
That additional height is going to increase the shifter throw between gears, so given the same hand speed (hand already on the shifter) the shifts are going to take longer.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was referring to the fact that the shift **** is located closer to the steering wheel (so distance of the shifting hand transitioning btwn steering wheel and shifter is reduced), but you are correct that the shifter throw will be longer the higher the **** is mounted. I really only recommend the Extended shift **** configuration to be used in conjunction with a short shifter, but it really comes down to driver preference.

With the Console Riser Kit, the shift throws are NOT affected, since the entire shifter cradle is raised 2 inches.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I really only recommend the Extended shift **** configuration to be used in conjunction with a short shifter...
It seems then that the objective of having a short shifter (the reduction in shifter throw) is partially (or totally) lost with the addition of the extended shifter.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That all depends on the individual - I personally find the short shifter throws too short (as described in the first post). The height adjustability of the Standard and Extended ***** allows the user to dial in the shifter height, and as a result customize the feel and effort to their liking.

I'll take shifter measurements from: 996 OEM standard throw, 997 OEM short throw, and BandM short throw. I'll calculate the shifter throw lengths at OEM **** height, along with the throws at the Extended Classic Shift **** height, and I'll post the results.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll take shifter measurements from: 996 OEM standard throw, 997 OEM short throw, and BandM short throw.
I'll give you my data point for comparison; my B&M (with OEM shift ****) shift distance from 1st to 2nd is 3", measured from a vertical reference touching the front of my shifter while in 1st, to that same surface while in 2nd.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cool, thank you. I've been meaning to plot all those numbers with the different shifter/**** combos, so thank you for bringing up that point. It should give some good guidance for anyone considering this upgrade, and especially for the impact it will have on their particular setup.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just be sure to measure from a vertical surface reference versus measuring from some point on the dash/console. I used a square with level bubble, placing the vertical edge of the square against the forward edge of the shift **** while in 1st gear, then put the car in 2nd gear and measured from the vertical reference to the same point on the shift ****.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I planned on just plotting everything in excel. I have all the shifters out of the car and disassembled, so I'll be able to get accurate measurements. I'll calculate both arc lengths and horizontal lengths (eg. Distance from 3rd to 4th).
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice craftsmanship but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me as it does make the shifts longer, do see your point with it being closer to wheel. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: new!!! CLASSIC SHIFT KNOB - Delrin/Aluminum