new!!! CLASSIC SHIFT KNOB - Delrin/Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

That is the case with the extended base, but the Classic Shift **** is offered in standard length as well (OEM height).

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Point made, I didn't clarify lol.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
I have all the shifters out of the car and disassembled, so I'll be able to get accurate measurements.
How do you measure gear stop to gear stop without the shifter connected to the transmission?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
...do see your point with it being closer to wheel.
I'm not sure that extended shifter is going to be closer to the steering wheel in every gear as compared to the OEM shifter.

Additionally, I don't see any advantage to the shifter being closer to the steering wheel. Certainly in street driving I don't see "closer" as any kind of measurable advantage, especially if max. performing the car in a straight line, as there isn't any reason in this case to remove your hand from the stick and return it to the steering wheel as you blast through the gears. Even on the track, I can't imagine there being any measurable lap time difference between two shifters that are even 3-4 inches apart from each other in distance from the steering wheel, given the multitude of other variables that impact lap times.

For reference, here are the closest point distances between my steering wheel and my shifter in each gear.

B&M shifter/OEM shift ****/340mm diameter steering wheel.

1 - 7 1/2"
2 - 7"
3 - 8"
4- 7 5/8"
5 - 8 1/2"
6 - 8 1/4"
Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Agree pm sent.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:49 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Even on the track, I can't imagine there being any measurable lap time difference between two shifters that are even 3-4 inches apart from each other in distance from the steering wheel, given the multitude of other variables that impact lap times.
All factory 996Cup cars came with shifter risers standard from PMNA. Probably for a reason. I doubt you'll reduce lap times, it's more of a comfort safety thing. Having raced Porsches with and without shift risers, I can tell you that having the shifter closer to the steering wheel makes it nice from a standpoint of reducing the time it take to reach down and back from the steering wheel to the shifter, hundreds of times during a typical endurance race. The less time only one hand is on the steering wheel, the better..

For street use, nah...
Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I doubt you'll reduce lap times, it's more of a comfort safety thing.
The comfort thing...maybe. But I think that's a "it depends" assessment. The driver in this video took his right hand off the steering wheel at least 29 times with his hand below the three o'clock position. That is, the steering wheel was turned to the right, dropping his right hand below three o'clock when he reached for the shifter. That places his hand essentially horizontal to the shifter, where the geometry advantage in terms of the distance between his shifter height and a lower shifter height is in the "who cares" range.

The less time only one hand is on the steering wheel, the better..
Why?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

This is how I roll.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
The comfort thing...maybe. But I think that's a "it depends" assessment. The driver in this video took his right hand off the steering wheel at least 29 times with his hand below the three o'clock position. That is, the steering wheel was turned to the right, dropping his right hand below three o'clock when he reached for the shifter. That places his hand essentially horizontal to the shifter, where the geometry advantage in terms of the distance between his shifter height and a lower shifter height is in the "who cares" range.

Porsche 911 track racing - YouTube

Why?
Why would you want to keep both hands on the steering wheel as much as possible?? Thats funny. Ask that one in the Cup or racing forum. They'll get a good laugh out of that one... BTW, the guy in the video has shifter risers installed which places the shifter know closer to the steering wheel....to maximize the time both hands are on the steering wheel..

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-12-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
This is how I roll.
IMO the shifter by F1 reminds me of muscle car shifters; the short version reminds me specifically of the new Mustang's shifter...

Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why would you want to keep both hands on the steering wheel as much as possible?? Thats funny. Ask that one in the Cup or racing forum. They'll get a good laugh out of that one...
You don't know the answer?

BTW, the guy in the video has shifter risers installed which places the shifter know closer to the steering wheel..
I know that. That's why I said that IMO there would be little to no difference between his riser shifter and a normal shifter on those shifts when his hand was below 3 o'clock.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll begin by saying that everything ultimately comes down to personal preference. And as such, each individual is entitled to their own opinion.

As an aftermarket parts developer, I bring forth my own vision of how and what parts to develop in order to extract the most performance from the car, with the presumption that those upgrades will resonate with others within the community. All the upgrades I have innovated have their roots in motorsports, with the goal of delivering similar performance for track and street enthusiasts.

Shifter heights on the 911s have been increasingly risen throughout the generations, with each subsequent model mounting the shifter up higher than the one before. This, of course, culminates with paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. For ultimate car control, it's important to always have both hands on the steering wheel, and so you never want your hands to stray far from the steering wheel in the event you need to make a correction or avoid another car, obstacle, catch the rear end, etc. This becomes increasingly important the harder you push your car on a road course.

So whether you track your car, or you just feel that having the shifter mounted up higher is more comfortable for you, I'm glad I can provide that solution for you and your Porsche.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I'll begin by saying that everything ultimately comes down to personal preference. And as such, each individual is entitled to their own opinion.

As an aftermarket parts developer, I bring forth my own vision of how and what parts to develop in order to extract the most performance from the car, with the presumption that those upgrades will resonate with others within the community. All the upgrades I have innovated have their roots in motorsports, with the goal of delivering similar performance for track and street enthusiasts.

Shifter heights on the 911s have been increasingly risen throughout the generations, with each subsequent model mounting the shifter up higher than the one before. This, of course, culminates with paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. For ultimate car control, it's important to always have both hands on the steering wheel, and so you never want your hands to stray far from the steering wheel in the event you need to make a correction or avoid another car, obstacle, catch the rear end, etc. This becomes increasingly important the harder you push your car on a road course.

So whether you track your car, or you just feel that having the shifter mounted up higher is more comfortable for you, I'm glad I can provide that solution for you and your Porsche.
Very nice product guys. Kudos for bringing innovative stuff to the market. Don't let the haters get under your skin.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For ultimate car control, it's important to always have both hands on the steering wheel...
I disagree.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't let the haters get under your skin.
Haters? Pretty strong word.

Who is a hater here, and what leads you to that assessment??

Quick Reply: new!!! CLASSIC SHIFT KNOB - Delrin/Aluminum