Sponsored by:

Track Day at Pocono Raceway - Saturday October 11, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:38 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Day at Pocono Raceway - Saturday October 11, 2003

I am arranging a track day at Pocono Raceway in Pennsylvania. For those of you who haven’t ever done this, it is a lot of fun as well as informative. Basically, you show up at the track first thing in the morning for tech inspection and, as a novice, receive verbal instruction about the track, braking, steering, lines of travel, etc. You then take your car out on the road course with an instructor as a passenger in your car and proceed to learn and drive the track with input from the instructor. Each session lasts about 20 minutes and you can expect to have about 4 to 5 sessions per day. The track is a road course with turns in both directions, hairpins, straightaways, etc. You need a helmet. There are three groups, novice, intermediate and advanced. Newbies are automatically placed in the novice class and have the chance to move into higher classes as the instructors see fit. You really learn a lot about driving and specifically, your car. I urge all of you to attend if you can fit it into your schedule. You will be hooked!!

The track day is sponsored by Performance Drivers Association who I have run with many times before. The date is Saturday, October 11. The cost for the day is $205.00. There is also a Sunday, October 12 school if you can’t get enough. Pocono has many variants. It is a Tri-Oval with an infield section (See a track layout here http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/pages/poconoMaps.htm ). The Saturday school runs the East Course and the Sunday school runs the North course so those that want to stay and do two days will be on a completely different section. That is a really good option. The East Course was chosen for this group event since there are more turns making it a little more fun.

If you are interested in attending, you can send your entry fee directly to PDA or to me. I will be signing up a group of people. If you wish for me to take care of the details, PM me and I will give you payment details. Make checks payable to "Performance Driver’s Association".

The school is open to all types of cars and space is limited so if you wish to attend, register asap either directly or through me.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Why aren't you doing a PCA Drivers Ed? They're cheaper... $210 for 2 days at Pocono October 18th/19th.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:02 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

This organization allows all makes and models of cars and I have run with them for many years, except the last three due to job related commitments. I know the owner very well. I have also sent the word out in the "M" word community as well and I don't think PCA will be too fond of that. I may try to bring both cars and switch out their use throughout the day. Still toying with that idea.
Do you want to come?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:23 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I would go, but I'll be running Pocono with PCA on October 18th and 19th. Also the price is a on the high side compared to most PCA events.

You're right about the Mini, PCA doesn't allow non Porsche's at DE's. I think Mini's are pretty cool looking (haven't had a chance to drive one yet!). And by the wacky paint jobs I've seen on them around town, I'm willing to bet a lot of them are enthusiast owned.

That would be interesting to bring the Mini and the 996TT and be able to compare them back to back. That might undermine the education part of the event, though.

Good luck with this!

--Adrial
Old 08-27-2003, 09:21 PM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I am a member of PDA. I went to the Pocono event about 1 month ago and am signed up for Lime Rock in Nov. I will try to go to the Oct 11 Pocono event but I can't be sure until we get a litttle closer to the date. Anyone going to Lime Rock in Nov with PDA?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:34 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe i'll bring up my S2000.

Any idea how far Pocono is from Baltimore?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by offroadr35
maybe i'll bring up my S2000.

Any idea how far Pocono is from Baltimore?
About 3 hours according to mapquest.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:33 PM
eugene
Racer

I am planning to attend the PDA 10/11 Pocono event. I drove the East Course a couple of years ago and it is a Fun layout.

It will be my first time with PDA. I know quite a few PCA folks who participate in PDA events and I have received good comments.

Adrial, Riesentoter PCA and Schattenbaum PCA allow ALL makes of cars
in DE. (some other PCA regions as well)

KPV, I will look you up on 10/11

dmilzoff, I will be at Lime Rock on Nov 7 with SCDA. I might stay for the PDA event on the 8th.(don't know yet)

Eugene.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Adrial,
Bite the bullet and show up!! It would be great to meet you.

Eugene,
Great to hear it!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:57 AM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Originally posted by eugene
I drove the East Course a couple of years ago and it is a Fun layout.
That course will eat up your tires in no time. It's essentially a long auto-x track (a lot of twisties with one nice little straightaway), but fun nonetheless.

This is where the awesome handling of the TT will really shine.

The "Full Course" is the most fun....a number of long straights and a decent infield. That's when all the high HP cars come out to play. Does anyone know if that has already been held?
Old 08-30-2003, 10:19 PM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I drove the Long Course at Pocono about 3 weeks ago with PDA. That day, a new 2003 TT with 1800 miles on it, rolled! Not a comfortable site seeing the exact same car, same color, as mine being flatbedded away.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:36 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Originally posted by dmilzoff
I drove the Long Course at Pocono about 3 weeks ago with PDA. That day, a new 2003 TT with 1800 miles on it, rolled!
Ouch!!!! Where did he roll????
Old 09-03-2003, 11:52 AM
MikeInfo
Instructor

Better to drive it and roll it then have it polished in a garage...
Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Really profound Mike!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:27 PM
MikeInfo
Instructor

Hey, make use of that Roll Bar you have!!

Quick Reply: Track Day at Pocono Raceway - Saturday October 11, 2003