Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo lag at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:04 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I was born and raised in Arlington Heights, IL. Shammy-burg is a different country to be sure.

I made a few good decisions in Chicago (suburbs). One was to go to college in a different state with different "people", and the other was to leave permanently to live here in San Diego.

The countach is just the utmost in "outrageous" 80's supercar-dom. That or a Ferarri 400 for the sheer fact of having one and driving it regularily would be a great idea. And your on the track with it - even better.

Couldn't be much more maintenance than my 928S4, right?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:52 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chicago?

Originally posted by ColorChange
LSM You'll get a kick out of this. I'm trying to buy the car from Rusnak in Pasadena (LA for me ha ha ha). They say we can't sign the contract over fax and wire the cash. They insist on signed documents. I do not believe that they won't accept a legally binding signed contract where they will have my money. What idiots. In the meantime, I've got my driver sitting out there. I should have the car mid next week.
Tell you what - I can help you out. Wire me the money, and I'll go down there and sign everything and drive it up to Chicago for you. I'll even arrange it so you have no break-in worries.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pig4bill - thanks ... I call you if the enclosed trailer thing falls through. All right, you made me laugh.

Brendan: the car is a blast on the track. Ask AS, it just roars around the track and way fun. 1.1g's on street tires is pretty darn good. Maintenance is brutal. I mean brutal. Did I say brutal?

AS - oh man, please keep the info coming. I can't wait to track it. I should be able to avoid the rev limiter by using my data acquisiion system and programming in the shift lights. I know how fast the tach can climb when under full boost and I see that as a watch close issue as well. I also plan to go to striaght pipe options on my exhaust when I do the engine work so I'll be able to hear the engine. Was your tt the yellow on on Sunday? I didn't think so because I thought he had slicks and it was an older model. He was fast.

Did you consider adjustable shocks? I plan to do all the suspension mods and just cruise on the street, but fly on the track.

Have you ever tracked at RA? Do you think the stock brakes would hold? What pads did you use?

Tim
Old 08-27-2003, 12:50 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
I was born and raised in Arlington Heights, IL. Shammy-burg is a different country to be sure.

I made a few good decisions in Chicago (suburbs). One was to go to college in a different state with different "people", and the other was to leave permanently to live here in San Diego.

The countach is just the utmost in "outrageous" 80's supercar-dom. That or a Ferarri 400 for the sheer fact of having one and driving it regularily would be a great idea. And your on the track with it - even better.

Couldn't be much more maintenance than my 928S4, right?
I went out of state for college, grew up in Highwood, and actually funny as it sounds lived in San Diego for about 4 months after college. You stayed in San Diego and that was your good decision, to me the weather as great as it is wasn't enough for me to ignore all I did not like there. Anyway, I'll talk to you this winter and let you know how great I think Chicago is. Take care.

-Lou
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Color Change,
I've had my X50 out with the local Porsche club. It's a special order color-Casablanca beige metallic (gold).
I've driven Road America a lot- in a Can Am Lola T165, Kurtis 500S, and Lotus super 7. I haven't taken the tt there because I think you'd want a roll cage to go seriously fast on that track ( i've been way over 165 many times on the front straight-uphill) At Gingerman, you get something over 100 and under 120, but at RA you'd be faster than that everywhere except between 5 and 6. I wouldn't even want to think about the Kink an those speed without at least a bar. I'll have a car up for the September vintage event but may not be driving myself. Look for a tube-framed 53 Stude. If the car comes back together, I'll be there with Chris Beebe. AS
Old 08-28-2003, 11:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Color - So when you say Brutal, do you mean, like, hard? Seriously though, what, like 2000 dollar water pumps that you have to remove the engine for? Or?

LSM - I think we may have spoken about this before (Chicago). As I said that time, I spent my first 23 there. I put in my time.... And by all means San Diego isn't paradise. It will be when I have a bigger agency, but right now its pretty expensive. That perspective will change though.

Oh, and winter - feel free to drive that TT out here. You can sit on the beach, and I will make sure its taken care of well. Heh.

Anyway, I am actually quite serious about getting a C or a Ferarri 400 - something insanly "OTT" as my English Wife likes phrasing.
Are we talking about Brutal even with good mehcanical ability and a lift?

Are we talking about v
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Brutal - $

Brendan: Brutal as in expensive and difficult. The parts are expensive, $1,300 for a front spindle - part only, 8,000 for a clutch (you have to pull the motor), no room to work, things difficult or impossibole to get at, ... typical italian. I have a lift in my house as well and it really helps but the cars are difficult to work on.

AS: I'm thinking of a full cage or bar right now. I'm leaning toward the bar and then dialing it down a touch at places like the kink (I'm a daddy first, driver second). Would you still definitely want a cage? I know, 160+ is real fast, creating a lot of force.

Everryone says that the turbo plows bad stock. Is this what you see?

Tim
Old 08-30-2003, 01:38 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Color- Re understeer.
Every car has certain characteristics which you can either adapt to or change. The tt has definite understeer on entry, but not unmanagable to me. Trail braking and throttle lift in mid corner adjust the attitude. That being said, you've still got to slow a little more on entry than in some other cars. The difference is that rwd Porsches enter an oversteer attitude much earlier when you brake on entry or lift off the gas. But rwd Porsches still primarily understeer if you apply power too early or carry too much speed into the corner. I can easily drift a Boxster at Gingerman, but I don't drift the tt.
I can see where you'd be faster with suspension mods, but what's the point? You're not racing for position and it's not a dedicated track car. My personal opinion is that you'd pick up 80% of the lap time improvement with a set of slicks alone. Since all you're really doing is maximizing your speed with a given STREETABLE set-up, it's totally your decision how much you want to modify the stock set-up. Someone with a dedicated track car will always be faster either due to weight reduction, ride height, tire width or tire composition. I turn 1:36's in my Elise at Gingerman, a Bondurant instructor did 1:34.5 in that car the same day, my tt does the same 1:34, but the race-prepped 911's do 1:27 or therabouts. Paul Tracy was down to something like 1:13 if my memory is right in a CART car. So someone can always go faster. To me, it's a question of maximizing my skills in a particular car.
I'm a dad too (6 times over), so I too am a little cautious. Still at places like the Kink, you never know if somebody dropped oil or is blocking the road on exit. If you hold it to 8/10's (fast driving but not on the edge) you're fine with the minimum that the sanctioning club allows (probably a 6 point harness set-up). But, if you get to where you're howling the tires, I'd say you're closer to 9/10 and merit more protection. Just my opinion and I'm sure others disagree. But, have you ever seen a car that puts one wheel off at that corner exit? They tend to scatter parts all over the track. AS
Old 09-02-2003, 09:53 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Track

AS

I was getting my lambo down to low 1:40's but was not using high revs and not pushing corner entry (I was concentrating on exits and line). 1:34 in the Elise is nice (it looked like it to). Just for clarity, did you pass Dan in his ferrari 333 and get flagged with him a little hot under the driving suit?

By going with adjustable supsension, I should be able to reach nice compromises between street and track. I am coming from a Lambo so I am used to "performance rides".

I agree on your family first logic and also dial it back where there are bigger risks, that's why I like Gingerman so much ... very safe.

I really don't like a lot of understear and definitely want to tune most of it out. A nice 4-wheel drift is a wonderful thing and understeer is just heavy, sluggish, limiting, ... annoying. I want to be able to get to ecellent track performance and make it street livable (it's not a dialy dirver).

Tim
Old 09-03-2003, 12:26 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Tim, e mail me at astemer@aol.com to continue. We might be a little off topic for the board. No, I didn't pass the 333. I did pass all the 360's, the 575 Maranello, and the 456. I came in when there wasn't anything else very close and let George Hovsepian (an instructor) take people for rides. AS
Old 09-03-2003, 02:27 PM
HMS
Racer

I love that 5000S
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ColorChange,
I remember your car from two years ago at the Ferrari Event at Gingerman. My buddy Jerry rode with you time or two. We were in the similar looking 993 Race cars. One silver, one black.

Very sweet car that Countach, but your Porsche will be a great car to track also.
Take care.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Uh oh

Greg:

I hope Jerry wasn't the guy I went high speed lawn mowing with. There was a porsche instructor who rode with me and I blew a double clutch downshift .. twice and let up too much on my threshold braking in the process. Had to take it straight off the track in turn one. (I have since had the second gear synchro replaced).

I hope you'lle be at the event next year.

Tim

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo lag at the track