Originally posted by ColorChange
spinlde
with all due respect - what is that?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:51 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typo

Sorry, type ... I lost a spindle (front axle). Sheered the wheel completely off. Luckily, the brake caliper held on to the rotor and I didn't have the front wheel go flying off the car and force me into a three point landing.

Tim
Old 08-25-2003, 01:15 PM
LSM
Racer

According to the owners manual, No full throttle, keep car under 4200rpm, vary engine speed, try to take longer trips. This is all for the first 2000miles. Luckily, you get to drive those break-in miles in a 911 turbo. Congrats on your new purchase, would love to check it out if you live in Chicago.

-Lou
Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Chicago

Yes, LSM, I live in South Barrington.

You can PM me.

Tim
Old 08-25-2003, 01:37 PM
LSM
Racer

Default Re: Chicago

Yes, LSM, I live in South Barrington.

You can PM me.

Tim
Tim,

South Barrington is not Chicago . Would still like to check it out though. How far is South Barrington from CHICAGO. Is it by Motorwerks?

Lou
Old 08-25-2003, 01:40 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Chicago

Lou:

Yes, I'm 5 minutes from Motorwerks.

Tim
Old 08-25-2003, 06:39 PM
LSM
Racer

Default Re: Chicago

Lou:

Yes, I'm 5 minutes from Motorwerks.

Tim
Tim, that's great, let me know when you get that beast and have the time, I would love to check it out. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

-Lou
Old 08-25-2003, 07:26 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh Come'on LSM. South Barrington is Chicago. Just like Hollywood is LA. Well, maybe like Santa Monica is LA.
Chicago is the Lake to Rockford. Winnetka to 95th street.
Mmmm. South Barrington. The best girls from St. Viator HS were from South Barrington. Big houses, Parents always "away".

Good to see a Countach actually on the track. Very good indeed.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:26 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Color Change- Was that you at the Ferrari club event a couple of weeks ago? (I had the red Lotus 7 on Saturday and the Elise on Sunday).
One thing you'll like about the Porsche compared to the Lambo is that the windows actually open.
I've had my tt at Gingerman. The boost was a non-issue. I thought that there were a lot of cars easier to get out of shape than the turbo. One word of caution is to avoid the factory tire pressures in the tt. If you use the power, you will positively cook your tires on a day like the one we had.
AS
Old 08-26-2003, 01:27 AM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
Oh Come'on LSM. South Barrington is Chicago. Just like Hollywood is LA. Well, maybe like Santa Monica is LA.
Chicago is the Lake to Rockford. Winnetka to 95th street.
Mmmm. South Barrington. The best girls from St. Viator HS were from South Barrington. Big houses, Parents always "away".

Good to see a Countach actually on the track. Very good indeed.
I guess Hoboken is New York City then Anaheim is LA. Chicago is Chicago, not winnetka, barrington, highland park, lake forest, schaumburg, naperville etc, you get the point. Chicago is Chicago, different people, different styles, no offense, but, when I go to most suburbs, I feel like I strolled into a differnt world. Everything seems different to me, like I went into a time warp or something. Anyway, I get your point and I hope you can have a laugh at mine. Take care.

-Lou
Old 08-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Hamann7
User

LSM, in all fairness, I think you can consider the North Shore area as part of Chicago, or Chicagoland.

South Barrington is sorta like calling Santa Barbara part of LA...

FYI, Santa Monica is part of LA County.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:40 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Chicago?

Jees ... I know South Barringotn isn't Chicago but to most people outside the area, saying Chicago is just a lot easier. Man am I going to have to watch it here.

AS, yes that was me at Gingerman. I am the guy who threw a spindle on Saturday and shut the track down for 45 minutes. Ughh! I was running low 1:40's when it went and I was still taking fairly big bites. I think I could have gotten below 1:40 on Sunday if I had the car on the track.

AS, were you running blue on Sunday? If so, man your Elise was fast and keeping up with the big boys. Awesome handling (fast corner speed).

LSM You'll get a kick out of this. I'm trying to buy the car from Rusnak in Pasadena (LA for me ha ha ha). They say we can't sign the contract over fax and wire the cash. They insist on signed documents. I do not believe that they won't accept a legally binding signed contract where they will have my money. What idiots. In the meantime, I've got my driver sitting out there. I should have the car mid next week.

I'll let you know when I get it. I plan on doing tons of work to it.

Tim
Old 08-26-2003, 12:14 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

ColorChange-
That was me in blue. Interestingly, I can get the stock X50 around Gingerman a little quicker than the Elise, but a much different technique.
I think the photo shows you with a passenger- if that was your instructor, I spoke to him shortly after. Congratulations, I think you made him puke in his helmet. That's good G forces. AS
Old 08-26-2003, 02:21 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Gingerman

I was able to pull 1.1 G's real consistently in the turns. Could only accelerate at .5-.6, and I was still bringing up the braking at .9 (had new Willwoods I was getting used to). Man could you stand on those brakes.

How does the stock TT handle? I've heard they're soft, slow and plow. How were the brakes? What pads did you use? Did you have any trouble getting caught by the boost out of the corners?

Tim
Old 08-26-2003, 11:17 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Everything's relative. The tt is not and will not be a race car-but it is a very rewarding street car that can be driven on the track. That being said, my X50 is stock. In stock configuration, it will easily keep up with a Z06 on race tires at Gingerman. The Z06 turns in better, which means that in the Porsche you have to rub off a little more speed on entry. The tt comes out of the corner much harder and more securely, so you catch up ( or get ahead) onto the straight. You need to use all the track, including the inside apron. In the end, it's kind of effortless. My friend Ray calls it a "magic carpet ride". Once you get comfortable, turn off the PSM. I never use the brakes at Gingerman hard enough to fade them, since the top speeds aren't that high. Most of the corners are fast enough to allow just "rubbing" the brakes instead of really hard stopping. I don't mind the stock suspension, since I'm not competing directly with anyone, and I like the utility of driving the car every day (16,500 miles so far). If I was going to make one investment, it would be a set of wheels and race tires, since you can pick up enough crap on the tires to give you some vibration on the way home. Also, race tires are much easier to "read" when you start to really push, and give you more bang than any other single expenditure. My biggest problem is avoiding the rev-limiter since the car is so quiet relative to the other cars on the track at the same time. AS

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo lag at the track