Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Stiff is H&R compare to PSS9?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:36 AM
luting_chen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Stiff is H&R compare to PSS9?

how stiff is H&R compare to Pss9???
Old 08-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Lu-Ting...

I have the H&R now, but I'm going putting on the RUF PSS-9 kit in a few days. On of the reasons I'm changing is because after trying out a car with the RUF kit, the ride is much more compliant.

What do you have on your car now? BTW, it looks awesome! Always wanted yellow, but never had the guts to do it. My next car, GT3 will hopefully be Speed Yellow!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 02:03 AM
luting_chen
Advanced

^_^ don't have much engin mod to my car yet... but will be soon...probably at the end of this year and before summer...
I only have europipe exhaust, evo DV, K&N Filter, B&M shortshift (will be used with techart one soon)

I'm still thinking of how much horsepower I want to get... people often suggest me 550-580 is good enough to go...
But I just feel like having more HP, even though I don't use them often... (i'm just the kind of guy)
I've got my engine mod plan layed out already, aiming at around 600-650...
but i kept on changing it all the time...

I was also going to go get the JRZ triple adjustable damper, but maybe a bit overkill for me... so am now undecided with which coilover to go with...

Just ordered GT3 Carbon Seat today, and hopefully will get it within the next two weeks before the LA import show my frd asked me to attend...
Next will be coilover...(leaning towards the new H&R along with its sway bar), but don't know...ruf sounds good to me as well...

cage? hm...still thinking...maybe useless for me...
Old 08-12-2003, 02:49 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

If you want a GIAC ECU there is a group buy going on...PM me if you want in...
Old 08-12-2003, 03:45 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

I also looked into the JRZ or Penske route, but I after thinking about it, it would really be overkill for my purposes of a mainly street driven turbo. One reason I went with RUF is I can really trust their customer service if anything happens. With H&R, they just blamed my problems on other things and didn't offer any help at all. Now I have a nice $2k paperweight for my garage...anyone want it! The extra $1,300 over the normal Bilstein and a proper rear sway bar is worth it to me.

For the price, I'd go with PSS-9s and the adjustability! Don't get me wrong, I love H&R products, but for the same money, the PSS-9s offer so more in terms of adjustability.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM
luting_chen
Advanced

I guess I'll consider Ruf then...
they seem to know what they're doing...and so far we haven't heard any problem with that kit... but a lot of bad news from H&R for sure...
and so as the sway bar ~><~...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:26 PM
luting_chen
Advanced

Mshindi:
thanx for the offering ^_^
but I guess I'm going to have my car custom reprogrammed...maybe through powerchip... they do pretty good from what I've heard...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Lu-Ting...

If you're interested, give Rob at scargo a call. He got me a little better price than Weissach. And he'll wrap the springs with additional insulation and fit teflon bushings to eliminate any possible noises.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:14 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Now I am confused!! So with the PSS-9. does the helper spring go on the top or the bottom?? (I think mine are on the bottom!!)
Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

I've always seen the PSS-9s with the helper spring at the bottom below the main spring. Mike said for the new H&Rs, the helper spring goes on the top to lower unsprung weight.

I'm sure yours are just fine.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
racer63
Racer

It sounds like with PSS9 you can tune the dampers to suit your tastes - for both handling and ride quality. That is a plus. And the fact that it was developed for a street car, the Ruf Turbo is a plus. I would also prefer to dial in a little more oversteer to suit my own driving style.

But, on the other hand, I've experienced a number of "side effects" in prior coil over type conversions. (Different cars, different coil over brands...)

Are there any side effects? Clunking or rattling noises? Generally increased noise? Tramlining on poor roads? Banging when you hit bad spots in the road? (say due to the elimination of the softer, stock rubber bushings that tend to absorb the impact) Reduced ride quality compared to stock?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Racer 63,

I've had problems with my H&R coilovers and lots of noises. I believe mine are an isolated problem, and decided to just get the PSS-9s for the adjustability.

Most of the coilover use the stock rubber shock mount. I've tried some monoball mounts from EVO Motorsports, but there were very noisy, and decided to just keep the stock rubber mounts. Never any tramlining...in fact the car feels more planted and generally tracks better under even the worst road conditions.

Quick Reply: How Stiff is H&R compare to PSS9?