Front-end squeaks/rattles/creaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front-end squeaks/rattles/creaks

Hi
2003 996tt with Champion Motorsports 19" wheels and suspension parts, car is lowered 3/4"

At low speeds going straight, front end, especially right side it seems, rattles/sqeeks/creaks. Any thoughts on this? Are 19" wheels just not right for this car? I had this same problem before with 19" wheels on a stock 996, but maybe the non-turbo 996 wells aren't as big?

Also when not going VERY gingerly over speed bumps, car will get that horrible bottoming out, almost violent grating noise.

Finally, and especially when the car has just been started, when pulling out of a parking space and turning the wheel fairly sharply to negotiate the turn, the front wheel give an almost bound-up feeling and "bump" on each revolution. This seems a little better after car is warmed up (its cold here)... not sure if this is cold tires or again, something wrong with the front end suspension.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

when i had 19's ( briefly lol ) on a previous car, it would rub at hard lock. i would think that lowering it would exacerbate that tendency but it sounds as if you have some worn suspension part(s) up front "also".
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM
tsitz
Instructor

copy that thanks. on lift this week and will check out.
it seems MUCH happier going fast, (no rattles, etc.) but that's a bit frightening to me.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Sounds like maybe a sway bar or drop link is loose.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

forgot to add.. if you're lowered on springs ( as i am..) any and all kind of creaking/binding noises are possible even probable but only hard lock slow speed etc.

springs ARE the cheap way to get low no doubt ( but they're still workin for me.. with mo30s lol )

so how is the car lowered?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The behavior you notice when backing out of a parking space with the steering wheel cut sharply is normal even for other models of Porsches with smaller wheels. My 02 Boxster does this with its 17" wheels/tires. So too does my 03 Turbo with its stock 18" wheels/tires.

The behavior arises from the different turn in angles of the front wheels coupled with the steering and front end geometry that has the tread of the inside front tire partially out of contact with the pavement.

The inside tire having to follow a track that is different from the one imposed by the outside tire and its full contact with the pavement causes the inside tire to skip. The skipping can be in one or two rather violent (relatively speaking) events or a series of milder ones that tend to feel like the ABS is activated though of course it is not activated.

You can statically see what the inside tire is faced with by in a parking lot with room moving slowly forward turn the steering wheel to full lock then shut off the engine. Out of the car sight each front tire down low close to the pavement and from straight ahead. You'll see the outside tire's tread face in complete contact with the pavement while the inside tire's tread face can be nearly half off the pavement.

Cold tires, worn and hard (heat cycled) tires, slick pavement, wet pavement just exacerbate this behavior.

With your car lowered it might have a different alignment that adds to the severity of this behavior.

As for the front end squeaks and rattles you need to have the car checked out for any loose suspension/steering bushings, loose sway bar links, anything that can allow more movement that the fitting/connection is supposed to have. I would not say the noise you hear and report is normal until a tech has eliminated some other cause/explanation for the noise.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Many thanks. That explains the cut sharp turning observation...

I agree this needs to be looked at as the creak/slight grind/rattle noise is something that should be looked at.
The car was lowered (and I am a rookie here and just bought it) with Champion Motorsport suspension upgrades, ( http://www.championmotorsport.com/Se...ts.asp?Cat=191 )

Will look at sway bars/drop links and more to see what's up, and also research more how car is lowered... MANY thanks for your thoughts
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM
cburke996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any aftermarket control arms? There are adjustable, rod end type control arms that can become creaky and noisy if they are not kept clean and lubed.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Yes. Will check those. they are champion motorsports control arms. Unfamiliar with the brand.

Quick Reply: Front-end squeaks/rattles/creaks