Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X50 test drive

Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 AM
anb957
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X50 test drive

Currently driving an 86 951. I test drove a 2002 X50 6 speed with 90K miles. Drives excellent except it requires force to get from 1st to 2nd at high RPMs and takes a little bit of time. Never heard grinding though but a little clunk in the shifter. I did not test for 2nd gear popout. Other gears are good. I think it is mostly stock (boosts to 0.8/0.9 bar) but very strong and handles well. Appears to have yellow coilovers and lowered significantly. It does have the factory aerokit but front splitter is broken off. Body very good otherwise. Car is quite loud and drones significantly cruising at 2000 RPM, but quiet at other RPMs. Owner is a nice guy but does not have full knowledge of the mods to the car--does claim was told by dealer that it is chipped and has aftermarket exhaust (but looked stock to me at first glance).

Any ideas on the following:
1. private party value?
2. is the shifting issue a major problem?
3. easy way to tell if it has been chipped?
4. is stock X50 exhaust this loud and drony?

Thanks for the help
Ashok
Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

If it has been flashed (chipped) it should boost higher than .9
stock exhausts are not load, nor do they drone
shifting should be looked at when getting a ppi. May simply need adjusting
Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

No way it's stock exhaust if it's droning, unless somebody took a drill to it. (Even then, it gets louder but not really drony.)

I never see more than .8 bar (stock X50), ever. Not sure if the .9 means some sort of mild tune (but man, that would be MILD) or if you have a problem that's allowing .9 sometimes.

90k is a pretty high number. Really no idea what the going rate for X50s with that mileage would be. Mine had 17k when I bought it this spring, and everything I looked at had less than 30k. Prices were high-forties to mid-fifties.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 IMO Private party value around $30 - $35k
2 ?
3 Chipped should boost >0.9
4 Stock exhaust is not loud and there is no droning.

Front splitter piece is inexpensive.

FYI x50 package was nearly $18k and aero kit was around $8k

Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
anb957
Track Day

Thanks for the input. I will probably make an offer pending PPI but not sure the owner is willing to sell in the low 30s. We will see. Would be nice to own one of these monsters.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without knowing exactly what work/mods have been done on the car before present owner its difficult to be firm on possible sale price.

PO may well want an amount in the $40's which is probably what dealer will want; what is max you are comfortable with? work around that.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my 996TT in the high 30's with 90K on it and lots of tasteful modifications. The exhaust can be changed and should not drone although a lot of aftermarket exhausts do. I have a stock exhaust in my attic somewhere. I would definitely complete a PPI, but if the turbo has a good maintenance history and passes the PPI I wouldn't be afraid of the miles. I have the aero kit on my 997TT and I like the look and the fact the wing does not move. Less hassle later when the moveable wing fails as the parts/wing are pricey to change. There are modifications to the wing that some have completed but the aero will alleviate that altogether. Good luck, the 996TT is one heck of a Porsche.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Depending upon the car and its condition your price point may not be realistic. In talking over Turbo values with some techs there is some feeling that these cars are gaining in value.

The word in the UK Porsche press and online has been now for a while these cars are the bargain. Eye popping performance. Super tough engine without all that IMS bearing baggage. And for a while rather low priced.

The word appears to be making its way across the pond. One tech told me he came upon an article in a USA published car mag touting the 996 Turbo in a used car review as offering a lot of bang for the buck. These kinds of articles will over time help boost prices for these cars as it increases demand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X50 test drive