Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM/ABS ... Failures 996tt

Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 AM
Mohammad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM/ABS ... Failures 996tt

When I start my engine it go right and after 5-10 sec .... it appear many pcm,abs...sign then it is not stall it is shut off ?

Do you think it is maf sensor ?
Porsche dealer in Kuwait sell the maf around 900$
Bosch sell it 250$

Thank you
Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammad
When I start my engine it go right and after 5-10 sec .... it appear many pcm,abs...sign then it is not stall it is shut off ?

Do you think it is maf sensor ?
Porsche dealer in Kuwait sell the maf around 900$
Bosch sell it 250$

Thank you
Could be a MAF problem. Could be a battery problem or even a fueling problem. The symptoms are somewhat characteristic of all 3 issues.

Not enough to go on.

Is the check engine light (CEL) on? If so get the codes read and report back here.

If you want, if you are up to it, disconnect the MAF at the wiring harness. Use an OBD2 scan tool to clear error codes. This resets fuel trims and other things to their defaults. This is in case the MAF is goofy and the engine controller has some seriously wrong learning.

Then drive the car as before and see if the symptoms come back.

How the car behaves determines what you do next.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

PCM/ABS issues can be a royal pain..

This should be a sticky thread for the 996TT..

1) It could be the MAF, I tell my customers that if they have NOT had PSM/MAF issues and now do. Replace the MAF IF it has not been changed in 4 years. If you have a OIL/cotton air filter it will likely be your MAF. I'd also go back to the stock air filter..

Cleaning your MAF is a short term band aid fix for a tired MAF..

2) Air Intake leaks are now becoming the prime cause.. Cracked/split houses, "F" tube use to be the prime target, but now every hose connection is a concern with 10 year old plus cars.

Aftermarket DV that have not been service, AND the two piece screwed on tops have loosened up, causing a leak.

3) Your brake pedal switch will trip the code also. If the plunger is sticky it hangs and need to be replaced. Many have overlooked this..

4) Intake leaks I say this again because it is the such a issue.... I hear the feedback from owners and shops and the list for leaks is growing. EGR valves to Throttle body oring..

You have to put at least 14 to 16PSI on this intake system to find your leaks.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Mohammad
AutoX

I want to try to solve the error before going to the Mechanic
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Mohammad
AutoX

Today my brother told me that when Im not here he changed the battery.. I check it today it is bigger than my old one and on it printed 88 mah..Do you think the problem from the bigger battery?

Originally Posted by Macster
Could be a MAF problem. Could be a battery problem or even a fueling problem. The symptoms are somewhat characteristic of all 3 issues.

Not enough to go on.

Is the check engine light (CEL) on? If so get the codes read and report back here.

If you want, if you are up to it, disconnect the MAF at the wiring harness. Use an OBD2 scan tool to clear error codes. This resets fuel trims and other things to their defaults. This is in case the MAF is goofy and the engine controller has some seriously wrong learning.

Then drive the car as before and see if the symptoms come back.

How the car behaves determines what you do next.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Get a code reader and read the stored codes. Reset the ECU and see if the pop up again.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammad
Today my brother told me that when Im not here he changed the battery.. I check it today it is bigger than my old one and on it printed 88 mah..Do you think the problem from the bigger battery?
No.

A slim possibility, not to get your hopes up but to be thorough, is there might be a problem from the battery change. In some cases a battery swap may not have the car's electronic system losing all residual power. I changed a battery in my Turbo. I wasn't trying to be quick about it but the car was without power for probably 30 seconds or so. When I drove the car back to the dealer to return the old battery and have the tech check my work he offered to clear the codes and reset the steering sensor to extinguish the warning light. I told him there were no error codes, no CEL, no warning light from the PSM, etc.

In your car's case the electronics may not have lost all power but enough to possibly be in a goofy state.

Follow Kevin's advice, and get an OBD2 scan tool/code reader and read the codes, active and pending, write them down then clear the codes and drive the car normally and see what comes back, if anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM/ABS ... Failures 996tt