Sponsored by:

Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
So what does one need to do to unwrap the Turbo and to make it "lively", as you put it ? All 30k of mods you made? Or just the exhaust? Or ...

(Or perhaps I should say, to unwrap it for the street - I suppose other changes may be needed for the track.)

You make your own conclusion.

gt3 seats
roll bar
350mm/6 pots
Gt2 brake ducks
2 pc front rotors
2 pc rear rotors
Gt2 rear sway
Front trg droplinks
Rear tarret droplinks
Rennline motor mounts
997 tranny mount
Oz wheels gt 2 offsets
Wheel stud conversion
Fix rear wing mount
Cf gruppem gurney flap on rear wing
Adjustable dog bones
Adjustable rear toe links
Adjustable control arms
Umw flash
exhaust
Gt2rs intercoolers
964 lwfw w gt2rs clutch
Kw clubs ports
Rear wiper delete
997ssk
Lw battery kit / battery
Gt2 front liners
Cup car brake duc cooling
Rear strut bar
Front strut bar
2 pc control arms gt3/2

I'm sure i missed a few things.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 996TT could be considered boring, if worry about IMS issues in a stock 996 motor was considered stimulating. Gotta love the Metzger motor.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

So what does one need to do to unwrap the Turbo and to make it "lively", as you put it ? All 30k of mods you made? Or just the exhaust? Or ...

(Or perhaps I should say, to unwrap it for the street - I suppose other changes may be needed for the track.)
I have a few light mods and the car is night and day compared to a stock turbo. With the right mods these cars can be very potent machines (and not only in a straight line).

Last edited by powdrhound; 12-31-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have a few light mods and the car is night and day compared to a stock turbo. With the right mods these cars can be very potent machines (and not only in a straight line).

GT3 Euro seats
Schroth harnesses
Rears seat & seatbelt delete
Rear wiper delete
Rear subwoofer delete
Sunroof delete
RUF front and rear bumper / wing
RUF mirrors
RUF strut bar
RUF door sills
RUF floor mats
RUF pedals
RUF wheel studs
RUF intake manifold
RUF turbo intake hoses
RUF K24 hybrid turbos
RUF wastegates
RUF Exhaust w/ 100 cell cats
RUF ECU
RUF shifter ****
997 SSK
997.2 intercoolers
Transmission cooler
Guard Club 40/60 LSD
RWD
PSM delete
JRZ RS shocks
JRZ monoball upper mounts
Eibach ERS springs 700#F/800#R
996GT3 LCAs w/ 10mm shims
Tarret drop links F/R
Tarret monoballs F/R
Tarret adjustable thrust arm bushings F/R
996GT3 CUP front uprights
996GT3 front 5 way sway bar
996GT3 rear 4 way sway bar
997GT3 RS PCCB brakes 380mm/350mm
AP racing front 380mm J hook floating rotors
PFC 08 brake pads
997GT3 brake master cylinder
996GT3 Cup front brake ducts
996GT2 rear brake ducts
997GT3 rear brake spoilers
997GT3 rear undertray
996GT2 fender liners F/R
18x9/18x12 CCW forged track wheels
245/40/18 and 305/35/18 NT01 tires
OK I think you win.........
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Check this new post out RS10.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...o-go-back.html
Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Check out this new post RS10.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...o-go-back.html
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
To wake it up just for the street, just exhaust and ecu. For interior and bring it up to todays tech a gps,nav, blue tooth double din thouch screen system.

My stock exhaust was just modded to add a bypass pipe. No need to spend thousands on an exhaust.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Why the ecu? Any benefits other than more power? (Seems to me it has enough power to be "awake" as is.)

Also, I would fear the bypass would not be the way for me, because while I'm looking for a good sound on half or full throttle, I'm not looking for much of a volume increase while cruising. Make sense?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
You make your own conclusion.

gt3 seats
roll bar
350mm/6 pots
Gt2 brake ducks
2 pc front rotors
2 pc rear rotors
Gt2 rear sway
Front trg droplinks
Rear tarret droplinks
Rennline motor mounts
997 tranny mount
Oz wheels gt 2 offsets
Wheel stud conversion
Fix rear wing mount
Cf gruppem gurney flap on rear wing
Adjustable dog bones
Adjustable rear toe links
Adjustable control arms
Umw flash
exhaust
Gt2rs intercoolers
964 lwfw w gt2rs clutch
Kw clubs ports
Rear wiper delete
997ssk
Lw battery kit / battery
Gt2 front liners
Cup car brake duc cooling
Rear strut bar
Front strut bar
2 pc control arms gt3/2

I'm sure i missed a few things.
Well, I can make some conclusions - for instance, the brake upgrades probably don't contribute much on the street, and I'd fear the KW club sports take something away, at least where I drive. But what about the rest? Can you provide some guidance about what only "wakes it up" on the track, and what is necessary for the street?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Why the ecu? Any benefits other than more power? (Seems to me it has enough power to be "awake" as is.)

Also, I would fear the bypass would not be the way for me, because while I'm looking for a good sound on half or full throttle, I'm not looking for much of a volume increase while cruising. Make sense?
415 to at least 480 hp and torque. I've driven the 415 GT3 and 450 RS. Believe me 480+ torque makes the other Porsche's feel snail like. On the street boost is intoxicating as well there is so much torque you can drive in a gear higher up while taking it easy on the street.

I find that once mine is up to temp and driving around that the sound level is not that bad. When cold it is much louder. Once warmed up I talk on the phone and yes sometimes people notice I am driving but it doesn't effect the conversation.
Research the exhaust. There should be the right one for you.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Very easy and cheap to swap out the stock H&R springs for a slightly softer set. Shocks will be fine with the OE dampening. The stock TT suspension is not much better comfort wise than the GT3.
I've owned both a 996 GT3 and my current 996TT. I disagree with your assertion. To me the TT rides like a town car compared to the GT3, which is closer in comfort to a shifter cart! My "current ex-wife" (to borrow a funny line from Terry Eastwood) took one ride in my "3", complained of a backache for a week, and never rode in it again.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
The OEM suspension is soft and floaty - upgraded suspension tightens up the car (less roll), offers better feel of the road and improves the handling...
I need to do this. I run a weekend at the track in my Boxster race car, then drive my TT on Monday and feel like I'm going to lose her in a turn. Ironically enough, I feel more confident taking my Touareg through a cloverleaf at a decent clip than I do my TT! Way too much body roll for my taste. What particular suspension mod would you recommend to achieve less body roll while also maintaining some level of street comfort? I haven't read the entire thread so if this question is answered later don't bother repeating info.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
I have owned a 993 for the past 7 years and recently purchased a stock 996 Turbo X50. The difference between the two could not be greater. Acceleration in the Turbo is stupid fast. It literally makes me smile every time I get on it. If you want a car that is a lot fun at slower speeds get a Miata. If you want a car that is ridiculously fast and is engineered to keep you in control at those insane speeds, buy the Porsche Turbo. No offense, by your definition a rice rocket with the big exhaust might be more appealing to you as well.
I just did the 3 day Skippy race school in the MX-5 race car this past weekend. That car is just as much fun as a Porsche, albeit slower (in the straights).
Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

It still surprises me that many people say reprogramming the ECU is necessary to liven the car up - and also say that the only benefit is more power. I would think power is the one thing this car is not missing - many cars with less power are lively enough, including the nearly identical C4S.

Could it be that a reprogrammed car feels more lively because the torque curve has more of a peak, like a normally aspirated engine? Or because - counter intuitively - it has more lag? (Getting a lot more power from a Turbo typically does require more lag.)

To paraphrase David Vivian in Evo, there are three main types of acceleration: high-rev howl like a modern Ferrari V8, effortless torque like an AMG V8, and Turbo boOOST. Vivian claimed that no matter how fast the car, you eventually get used to the acceleration and it becomes less interesting - unless it has boOOST, in which case even a not-so-fast car remains interesting. But I suspect that as the name implies, if there's no lag, then it's just boost, not boOOST. Similarly someone mentioned earlier in this thread that he had great fun in his old Saab Viggen, and if it was anything like the 900 turbo my parents had, then it had boOOST.

It seems to me the stock 996 Turbo has so little lag that it is kind of like an AMG V8, except with a linear torque curve and no V8 sound effects.

Anyway - a question for people who feel reprogramming is necessary to make the car lively: Is it really more power than makes the difference, or a less flat Torque curve, or more lag?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The ecu flash also changes the throttle response and makes it respond quicker. The smaller turbos in the tt non x50 have very little lag, when I first got the car I couldn't even tell there was any lag until I got used to the boost. Now I know I can use that small fraction of a sec to get on the gas early out of the corner and then have boost kick in at the perfect time.

Making it lively for the street to me, means having quicker throttle response and more boost and acceleration power. The stock suspension is to bobbly for the acceleration the ecu flash makes and the braking that this car can handle. That's why so many people recommend a suspension upgrade. All the all suspension bits mentioned transform the car into a nice tight handling package which probably is too hard for everyday street use. Though the adjustable coilovers can be set fairly soft so can make it more comfortable for the street.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It still surprises me that many people say reprogramming the ECU is necessary to liven the car up - and also say that the only benefit is more power. I would think power is the one thing this car is not missing - many cars with less power are lively enough, including the nearly identical C4S.
a stock 96t isn't "missing" power per se, it's a relative term the definition of which will be felt instantly ( any lag notwithstanding lol ) when comparing a stock vs tuned car.

Could it be that a reprogrammed car feels more lively because the torque curve has more of a peak, like a normally aspirated engine? Or because - counter intuitively - it has more lag? (Getting a lot more power from a Turbo typically does require more lag.)
simply put, it feels more "lively" because it has more power. the greater degree of "lag" you speak of is far more apparent in a stock k24 car than it is with a stock k16, but then, so is the power. getting more power out of this car with mods will NOT necessarily contribute to MORE lag, in fact it will help to bring about nearly instant BOOST ( from 2500 up ) if one were to run hybrid 16/24's for example, or any quicker spooling setup.

It seems to me the stock 996 Turbo has so little lag that it is kind of like an AMG V8, except with a linear torque curve and no V8 sound effects.
if by "stock" you mean a k16, then you'd be right. although again, a "stock" k24 ( x50 ) car will have lag issues that are troublesome to many, though "neck snapping" to all, once they hit their stride. this in spite of the remap to the ecu from the factory. it's just the loss of low end boost tradeoff from a k16 car, in a stock x50 that makes the lag so noticeable.

Anyway - a question for people who feel reprogramming is necessary to make the car lively: Is it really more power than makes the difference, or a less flat Torque curve, or more lag?
it's the combination of more power and less lag. for sure. at the end of the day, a tuned car vs stock IS night and day, and the difference will be felt dramatically.

Quick Reply: Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?