Sponsored by:

Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
The 996TT requires an upgraded suspension, tune and exhaust to wake it up ...
Why the suspension and the tune (for street driving)?

A different suspension setup for more oversteer? Or just a standard more-track-biased, less roll, more grip setup? I would actually fear this would make it less fun on the road. I want accessible fun (including throttle adjustable handling) at reasonable speeds and short of the car's limits. (The C4S offers this, and I'm assuming the Turbo does too.) Or am I missing something?

Tune for more power? If I own a Turbo, eventually, I won't be able to resist. But does this add to fun on the road? Or again, am I missing something?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

I do not have any in car video, but there are several members here that have our various systems (we offer from quiet to loud) that may be able to chime in...The video is largely at part to 3/4 throttle with just an instant of actual full throttle...I was easing it up the RPM's in order to hear the exhaust more - that's how I normally drive it, as instant WOT is pretty violent and not necessary for enjoyment in most cases....and at 3/4 throttle the turbos are kicking in very well and the car is pulling hard...Note: the car has upgraded turbos with full supporting mods...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I felt the same as the OP. Drove a lot of 996's (including turbos) and they didn't excite me. Drove the 993 and bought it. Can't explain it as I know the newer Porsches are faster. But the 993 had the "feel" and put a smile on my face.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Buy a 996 GT3. By the time you've spent money on a suspension and exhaust and tune you've in the GT3 price range. A 6GT3 is more of a drivers car and due to the lower volume numbers will be an easier sell when you tire of it.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Buy a 996 GT3. By the time you've spent money on a suspension and exhaust and tune you've in the GT3 price range. A 6GT3 is more of a drivers car and due to the lower volume numbers will be an easier sell when you tire of it.
The Gt3 may be a better car for most people, but not for me. The suspension is too harsh where I drive. :- (
Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
The Gt3 may be a better car for most people, but not for me. The suspension is too harsh where I drive. :- (
Very easy and cheap to swap out the stock H&R springs for a slightly softer set. Shocks will be fine with the OE dampening. The stock TT suspension is not much better comfort wise than the GT3.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rs10
Why the suspension and the tune (for street driving)?

A different suspension setup for more oversteer? Or just a standard more-track-biased, less roll, more grip setup? I would actually fear this would make it less fun on the road. I want accessible fun (including throttle adjustable handling) at reasonable speeds and short of the car's limits. (The C4S offers this, and I'm assuming the Turbo does too.) Or am I missing something?

Tune for more power? If I own a Turbo, eventually, I won't be able to resist. But does this add to fun on the road? Or again, am I missing something?
The OEM suspension is soft and floaty - upgraded suspension tightens up the car (less roll), offers better feel of the road and improves the handling - IMO, it adds to the enjoyment of driving on the road, especially country roads, mountains, etc. And it's more compliant over bumps, railroad tracks, etc.

I like having more power, as I use it all the time - for me, it's just more fun to feel the turbos kick in with the added power....

Maybe the turbo is not the car for you, but I have had seven 911's over many years 4 NA's and the last 3 turbos and always purchased the new model - I have kept this one since new in 2002 and I am still totally enjoying it, so that says something...that said, it's not for everybody, some people prefer boxsters to turbos...
Old 12-29-2013, 01:19 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

I do not have any in car video, but there are several members here that have our various systems (we offer from quiet to loud) that may be able to chime in...The video is largely at part to 3/4 throttle with just an instant of actual full throttle...I was easing it up the RPM's in order to hear the exhaust more - that's how I normally drive it, as instant WOT is pretty violent and not necessary for enjoyment in most cases....and at 3/4 throttle the turbos are kicking in very well and the car is pulling hard...Note: the car has upgraded turbos with full supporting mods...
Thanks for the feedback! If I bought one of your exhausts, it would probably be the 2.5, and I'd normally use it in it's tamest mode (I understand your exhausts can be quickly switched to different configurations) - because I'm guessing that the louder variations/systems would not be recommended for cars that are also used for family day trips, etc.

(I'm assuming the 2.5 is at least a bit louder than a normal 996, the 3.0 is much louder, and the 3.0 with no silencers is another thing all together - but is this right?)
Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You're welcome - Yes, that's a good description of the sound levels - you have it right...
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

I like having more power, as I use it all the time - for me, it's just more fun to feel the turbos kick in with the added power....
Yeah, sooner or later, I would do it too. I was just wondering if there was another advantage.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

The OEM suspension is soft and floaty - upgraded suspension tightens up the car (less roll), offers better feel of the road and improves the handling - IMO, it adds to the enjoyment of driving on the road, especially country roads, mountains, etc. And it's more compliant over bumps, railroad tracks, etc.
OK, this caught my attention! Two things, in fact:

Tightens up the car and more compliant? I can imagine that if starting with the crappy suspensions on some BMWs, for instance, but my impression has been that all 996s are much closer to providing as much speed as possible given the level of comfort and vice-versa. What suspension can do better? And how much would the spring rates change (assuming the mounting points are basically the same)?

And in what way does it improve the handling (because various changes that are good in some environments/for some uses and bad in/for others)?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Couldn't keep up with your " impressions " of the Turbo,but let me ask if you are really interested in this car or just trolling around? No disrespect,just curious....
Also,what's the car you own that you speak so highly of?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:46 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The old adage will ways be true...

It's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a fast car slow. Personally id rather drive a base 911 or even boxster or cayman. You can push them more on the road. And pushing means more time around red line and those glorious sounds that flat sixes make there.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
let me ask if you are really interested in this car?

Yep. Wouldn't be online trying to figure out what to buy if I wasn't.

Also,what's the car you own that you speak so highly of?
Wasn't aware I spoke highly of it. I certainly didn't mean to. I was never terribly fond of it - and I hope this won't rub you the wrong way, because based on your signature line, it seems you've got one too. It's a E46 M3. And it does indeed provide a sensation of speed. (Though a normal 996 can do so using less throttle and less rpms.) Still, don't get me wrong, the M3 engine is fantastic.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it's just an unfortunate choice of asking your question,that's all... I'd probably get the same response from at least 1 member if I'd ask a similar question on the M3 board... I love the M3,but it's a different car.
Either way,Rennlist proved once again that it's made of members with a lot of patience(unlike myself) and respect,that did a great job in addressing your concern with logical responses.

to Rennlist

Quick Reply: Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?