Sponsored by:

Too much pentosin in the rear reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
benoitroussel
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too much pentosin in the rear reservoir

Not too long ago, I took my car to a shop for a chocking problem under WOT. It happened to be the spark plugs. Before I left the shop, the mechanics topped of the *rear* reservoir (in the engine compartment, not in the front) with pentosin. He said it was low. He did put quite a bit for my taste, but I thought he's the expert and knows what he's doing (it may be a mistake ).

A couple of days later, I noticed some pentosin leaking from the *front* of the car. The reservoir was overflowing.

Two things came to my mind: my slave cylinder is going bad. Time for a new one and probably a new accumulator at the same time. I also thought that the overflow may just be a consequence of overfilling the rear reservoir.

My question to the experts on this forum: could overfilling the rear reservoir cause the overflow on the front, in which case my slave cylinder could be fine? Or do I have a bad slave cylinder for sure?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

If the system was overfilled I would think the power steering tank would overflow.

So, probably a bad slave cylinder.

If you want more the just a probably to go on I guess you could remove (use a turkey baster) the excess fluid to bring the level down to some acceptable level and then clean the fluid from around the front (clutch) reservoir, then drive the car.

Check for the reappearance of fluid at the front reservoir. If it shows up it is the slave cylinder.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM
benoitroussel
Rennlist Member

My other mechanics (a good one I trust) removed the excess fluid and cleaned the car to remove any leftover of pentosin. I have driven the car since and have not noticed any increase in fluid levels on the front. No more leak/overflow.

I only drove the car in the city to exercise the slave cylinder more and probably put 70 miles on it.

How fast should I notice a new occurrence of overflow if my slave cylinder is the culprit?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tend to agree with Macsters comments but I hope it works out to be just an overfill.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM
benoitroussel
Rennlist Member

Thank you Macster and rmc1148 for the quick replies.

Is there any known number of clutch depress (approximately) that would cause an overflow if the slave cylinder is the problem?
I have no idea how much fluid would be pushed to the front reservoir per clutch depress.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by benoitroussel
My other mechanics (a good one I trust) removed the excess fluid and cleaned the car to remove any leftover of pentosin. I have driven the car since and have not noticed any increase in fluid levels on the front. No more leak/overflow.

I only drove the car in the city to exercise the slave cylinder more and probably put 70 miles on it.

How fast should I notice a new occurrence of overflow if my slave cylinder is the culprit?
FWIW, and it may not be worth much: I drive my Turbo around 60 miles a day and it took several weeks after the accumulator was diagnosed as bad before the slave cylinder started leaking. And even then it was not leaking heavily, just a few small stains of fluid on top of the panel that covers the clutch reservoir. But as soon as I spotted this I stopped driving the car and left it at the dealer to have this repaired.

If you remove (daily?) this panel and check for fluid sign you might see signs of leakage sooner. If the slave cylinder (or whatever) is causing power steering fluid to come out of any place you want to clean the area where the fluid is right away. The fluid is not nice to rubber.

Otherwise, just drive the car and check the panel's top surface for any leak sign and if you find it....

Could be the system was just overfilled. I've never checked the fluid level but there are some cautions in checking it to be sure one gets a good measurement of the level. Could be someone just spotted the level "low" and added fluid when had the proper procedure to check the level been followed the level would have found to be ok.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

There are hundreds of threads on this subject... I'm no expert,but as far as I know,one of the slave's job is not letting fluid travel in both directions. That means you can put 10 gallons of pentosin in the power steering reservoir,they shouldn't end up in the front. Only a bad slave will allow fluid to travel from the rear to the front thus overflowing... Also,you only need to pull the power steering cap out to realize the level should be checked when warm. That's why it says " WARM " on the dipstick.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
benoitroussel
Rennlist Member

Thank you all very much for all the details. I will go ahead and replace the slave cylinder and the accumulator next week.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Correct, if a check valve goes the symptom is the master overflows. I have to agree the salve is bad!

Quick Reply: Too much pentosin in the rear reservoir