Old 07-15-2003, 09:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New Toys

Some new billet toys are on the way thanks to Kevin @ Alamo Turbos and here are some preview pix (turbine housings have not been coated yet):

Old 07-15-2003, 08:49 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

looks more like something that should be hanging on a wall

similiar to an old carb I cleaned up and mounted. Then again there is the old air plane motor i'm polishing up to hang too that came out of an old cesna! Wanna donate those to me?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:17 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,
Not coated yet? Please elaborate.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by soon2be993TT
looks more like something that should be hanging on a wall

similiar to an old carb I cleaned up and mounted. Then again there is the old air plane motor i'm polishing up to hang too that came out of an old cesna! Wanna donate those to me?
Hehe yeah Kevin did a great job Too bad they are under the car instead of visable I'm hoping for more power sans any lag
Old 07-15-2003, 09:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by KPV
Alex,
Not coated yet? Please elaborate.
Ceramically coated to aid heating issues
Old 07-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Ruiner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, Alex. Let me know how they turn out in relation to lag/boost response, and overall peak horsepower.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:35 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

What are they?? (model, etc...)
Old 07-16-2003, 06:53 AM
996TTR
Advanced

Sharkster,

I have the same gremlins. Kevin did a very nice job. The performance has been quite good. I have run my car side by side with a turbo that ran 11.30's in the quarter and the acceleration was the same. I can also put race gas in and run about 30 horse more.

Enjoy
Old 07-17-2003, 06:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Ruiner
Nice, Alex. Let me know how they turn out in relation to lag/boost response, and overall peak horsepower.
Thanks man Can't wait to get them in.. and I'll let you know how things go
Old 07-17-2003, 07:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by 996TTR
Sharkster,

I have the same gremlins. Kevin did a very nice job. The performance has been quite good. I have run my car side by side with a turbo that ran 11.30's in the quarter and the acceleration was the same. I can also put race gas in and run about 30 horse more.

Enjoy
Ah nice one... I'm guessing one notices the difference. I'm hoping that I'll keep the little lag we have and just get that bit more power. Best I ran was 11.6 before so hopefully it'll get even better
Old 07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Alex;

I was at the Borg-Warner KKK factory this week as you know. I infact took your turbo cartridge. They actually wanted to throw them in the test cell. Unfortunately they would most likely wreck them. I learned alot and seen quite a few new trick for our cars.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Another interesting note. KKK has not choosen to go down the ball bearing road. However, the engineers have told me a few trick to equal the playing field for our units. Basically the ball bearing units have a advantage by keeping the centerline of the turbine shaft stable. Thus the clearance between the wheel and aluminum housing can be tighten to .006", With my cnc'd housings I can come close but not near .006. The solution that they are working on is to coat the inside of the compressor housing to build up the clearance. Hence, you improve the efficiency of the unit. Now as the unit's bearings wear the coating wears to provide extra clearance. It's also a tattle tail sign when to go in for a rebuild! Mark my word, We will be coating the insides of the housings!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:33 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Kevin
Alex;

I was at the Borg-Warner KKK factory this week as you know. I infact took your turbo cartridge. They actually wanted to throw them in the test cell. Unfortunately they would most likely wreck them. I learned alot and seen quite a few new trick for our cars.
That must have been a lot of fun Can't wait to hear about them tricks!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:36 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Kevin
Another interesting note. KKK has not choosen to go down the ball bearing road. However, the engineers have told me a few trick to equal the playing field for our units. Basically the ball bearing units have a advantage by keeping the centerline of the turbine shaft stable. Thus the clearance between the wheel and aluminum housing can be tighten to .006", With my cnc'd housings I can come close but not near .006. The solution that they are working on is to coat the inside of the compressor housing to build up the clearance. Hence, you improve the efficiency of the unit. Now as the unit's bearings wear the coating wears to provide extra clearance. It's also a tattle tail sign when to go in for a rebuild! Mark my word, We will be coating the insides of the housings!!!!
Yeah some of my friends with Supras swear by the new beefy ball bearing Garrett turbos. I guess the smaller ones wil work well on our cars too, well not on the tiptronic... Your solution of coating the inside of the housins sounds cool but hard to do no?
Old 07-20-2003, 10:40 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Kevin - can you PM me or post your contact info as I would like to get in touch with you about my K24s and what we can do to improve them...

Quick Reply: New Toys