Old 07-20-2003, 10:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by msindi
Kevin - can you PM me or post your contact info as I would like to get in touch with you about my K24s and what we can do to improve them...
You've got a 6 speed, right? You will be in for some good times...
Old 07-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Kevin, Isn't a -.006 tolerance abit too tight? Along with trying to control the thickness of the coatings and the natural expansion of the impellor under spool it doesn't seem to allow enough room for heat/mechanical expansion. Isn't the Garrett turbos made from a different alloy composition?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

msindi;

kmatwichuk@att.net or (800)838-3064

Oak;

The Garretts are running close to .006 (from wheel tip to housing). The point of having the coating is to zero in the clearance. If the bearings start to have more run out the compressor wheel will shave the coating! That's the trick. I seen it at the factory, I had the same concerns. Expansion doesn't have anything to do with it, once it wears into the coating the dimension changes. Once the coating is applied the CNC process will dial it in to the diameter that we want...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Kevin, are you machining after the coating? Isn't one of the main reasons why the Garrett tubines do not last and are not rebuildable is due to damage caused by excessive run out and damage caused to the housing and turbine? I know guys that have run Garrett types for 5k miles, I spoke to someone awhile back and he was lucky to get almost 7k miles.

How long do you think these tubos will last? How much cfm do these turbos flow?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Oak;

Yes, we have to CNC the housings to get the clearance. You cannot rebuild the Garretts, we have tried. With the ball bearing units the thrust gets pounded out and with a failed thrust you will get shaft motion. Your turbine wheel will hit the housings and grind away like a lathe. These KKK units will last as long as they don't get wiped out from heat. I have posted pics of burnt 993 & 996 shafts do to hot shut downs. The nice thing is that they are completely repairable for a very reasonable price. The map was posted a few months ago.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by Kevin
Oak;

Yes, we have to CNC the housings to get the clearance. You cannot rebuild the Garretts, we have tried. With the ball bearing units the thrust gets pounded out and with a failed thrust you will get shaft motion. Your turbine wheel will hit the housings and grind away like a lathe. These KKK units will last as long as they don't get wiped out from heat. I have posted pics of burnt 993 & 996 shafts do to hot shut downs. The nice thing is that they are completely repairable for a very reasonable price. The map was posted a few months ago.
I can't wait You must be getting busy lol.

PS Everyone please send Kevin your K16 cores

Quick Reply: New Toys