Sponsored by:

2001 996 Twin Turbo 12,300 Miles For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Macster thats a stretch. Care to tell me what makes them better. You ever consider that nothing is done because engineering is working on the net version. Pure speculation on your part. Especially when the previous model years really did not have any major issues as it pertained to design. In the engineering and product world it's called life cylce management.
Thought it was clear in my earlier post. Later models are better that earlier models because of ongoing improvements made as the factory learns from ongoing testing and from feedback from cars in service.

About as soon as the 1st MY cars hit the showroom floor the TSBs start coming.

Additionally there are things like for instance in the case of my 02 base Boxster. In 02 the base's top got the same lining that was previously only available in the S model. Not a show stopper improvement but one that I every time I am in the car appreciate.

Would I out of hand shun a early example of an otherwise fine car? No. Price and condition are paramount for a used car buyer.

But in a toss up between two cars optioned the same, with the same miles, service history, etc., I'd lean towards the newer one.

When I buy a new car I try to buy towards the end of the model's life rather than at the start of it.

The one time I broke this rule the car -- a '96 Ford Mustang GT -- was in and out of the shop for things more times than it was in my driveway. Had I more sense I would have had the car declared a lemon but I let the 3 year, 36K mile warranty play out and finally the car got sorted.

In my defense the 4.6l SOHC engine used in that car had been used at least a year earlier in the new T-Bird and I thought that would be good enough to ensure the engine was sorted out. But boy was I wrong.

When I bought the Boxster it was while not the last MY of that run it was a couple of years into the model run.

Same with the 2002 Golf.

Same with the 2006 GTO. Actually the 2006 was the last model year example.

The 08 Cayman S was the last car before the model changeover.

And the 2003 Turbo was a few years into the model run rather than at at the front of the model run.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by gillie
There is a preoccupation here with low mileage cars which I find disturbing. Given a choice one would certainly opt for a 25k P car as opposed to one with 125k but when you look at a car that was driven
a thousand miles a year for twelve years the "bullet-proof" reputation flies out the window. 1K a year
means a drive to the dealer for an annual oil change and a dozen around the block drives on sunny days.

An under-exercised turbo is a service department's bread and butter dream car.
By definition, a "bullet proof" vehicle would not be effected by be driven 1K per year. And the rest is pure speculation. Nothing wrong with speculating as that is what we all are doing when buying a car. Everybody has different metrics they use to come to their decision. Some shy away from low mile cars while others covet them. My "bread and butter dream car" was ten years old and only had 7,200 miles on it when I bought it. I've doubled those miles and with the exception of replacing the battery and ignition switch have not had one problem and/or visit to the service department. YMMV

Hope neanicu doesn't chastise us for this threads direction.... .... as we keep bumping Tom's for sale ad to the top!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:59 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You'd think Rennlist is the best place to sell your car because supposedly it's full of enthusiasts that can appreciate these cars. Unfortunately you end up with a bunch of " know it all " that will ruin your for sale ad with stupid comments.
This is a " for sale ad " ,if you don't have anything positive to add or questions and not interested,then shut up and let the poor guy sell his car!
Except this isn't the classified sections and included zero info about the car.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Macster thats a stretch. Care to tell me what makes them better. You ever consider that nothing is done because engineering is working on the net version. Pure speculation on your part. Especially when the previous model years really did not have any major issues as it pertained to design. In the engineering and product world it's called life cylce management.
04-05 have the updated "Spanish" case, with additional reinforcement and added oiling. These will have a 996 part number rather than the eariler 964 part number of the 01-03.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Why is it the best year to buy ?
Obviously due to the fact that 2001's did not have the ugly glove box, instead they can with the incredibly convenient map holder above the driver's knees.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

No glove box and no cup holders = lighter
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

And a chassis that is 25% stiffer, now that was a major deciding factor in purchasing my 2004 model car.

You can really feel the difference with stiffer chassis when you compare them.

Last edited by James88; 08-25-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks paul that was my point why 04/05

Quick Reply: 2001 996 Twin Turbo 12,300 Miles For Sale