Sponsored by:

Evaluating fenders to assess if replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:14 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaluating fenders to assess if replaced

just looked at an 02 tt with low miles and the front fender inside lips were smooth, yet the rears were dimpled.

I recall that factory fenders were dimpled and replacements were smooth. Is this still true?

Also, preaching to the choir, but this place is great for research as the clutch pedal was stiff after the car sat for a few days to a week - good timing to see the post on the accumulator.

Question on the electronics - are they a huge drain? Could not drive it as the battery was completely dead - and it was new as of January. I'd think the seller would have stated the car had not been driven in a while, but his claim that it had and a totally drained battery has me leery. Along with the fender question above.

Thx

Last edited by GTS 6 spd; 08-26-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

bump - hoping the weekday posters have some insight.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

GTS 6 spd: Evaluating fenders to asses if replaced
Ah, the value of one little letter!

"Assess" vs "Asses":
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cuda911; 08-26-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are hilarious but tuff. The fenders I have seen on my Porsches 928-944 and 911 had dimples but some may not, but I would guess body work or replaced.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll check mine tonight and let y ou know. I'm 99% sure that the fronts are not dimpled and the rears are. The rears have stone guard on them, and the fronts don't.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
just looked at an 02 tt with low miles and the front fender inside lips were smooth, yet the rears were dimpled.

I recall that factory fenders were dimpled and replacements were smooth. Is this still true?

Also, preaching to the choir, but this place is great for research as the clutch pedal was stiff after the car sat for a few days to a week - good timing to see the post on the accumulator.

Question on the electronics - are they a huge drain? Could not drive it as the battery was completely dead - and it was new as of January. I'd think the seller would have stated the car had not been driven in a while, but his claim that it had and a totally drained battery has me leery. Along with the fender question above.

Thx
The front fenders are fairly easy to replace. They are just bolted to the car's tub.

The rear fenders are part of the body proper. They do not unbolt. To "replace" the rear fenders requires metal cutting/welding.

While doable it is rare to find a Turbo that has this extensive of body work.

I'm driving the Turbo to work today. I'll check the fenders of my car.

If the car is switched off and the key removed and possibly the doors locked the electrical drain on the battery is minimal. Around 20 milliamps or so which is low.

After 5 days of sitting some of the security system are disabled which reduces the power drain even further.

I had a new battery installed in Dec. die by May and I drove the car regularly and for enough distance/time to recharge the battery after most every engine start. Yet the battery died. (Bad battery.)

Most likely something similar happened to this car. It just has a bad battery.

Or the car was not used enough to recharge/replenish the voltage lost to starting the engine and over time the battery became weaker and weaker. A lead acid battery likes to be kept charged up. If it loses enough charge this harms the battery in some way that a recharge doesn't fully resurrect the battery. Replacement is the only real solution.

Before you worry about the accumulator get the battery issue resolved and drive the car. If you drive the car and the clutch is hard to press after the car has sat unused for some time, you feel pulsing through the clutch pedal when using the clutch while the engine is running, if you observe fluid stain on top of the plastic panel under the front trunk lid the panel that covers the clutch reservoir then you can worry about a possible clutch accumulator or slave cylinder problem.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:47 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Thanks, appreciate those who are checking.

Title changed to ensure clarity. Hmmmm, ....... perhaps it was a freudian slip since the turbo has such great hips! Seeing them up close with an eye towards acquisition reminded me the first time I saw a 993 turbo from the rear quarter view, serious auto lust!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

put a paint meter on the car to determine if it has been painted or take it to a reputable body shop (that has a paint meter).
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Just checked mine in the garage, the fronts are smooth and rolled at the top section while the rears are dimpled and have what feels like undercoating on them. As suggested, definitely use a paint meter on the whole car.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Ah, the value of one little letter!

"Assess" vs "Asses":
Yep.

Although I seem to make a correlation between the various great curves on my Turbo and the great curves some women have.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Thanks all, appreciate the insight

Quick Reply: Evaluating fenders to assess if replaced