Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts
Thumbs up GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab

Recently a long-time client of our's purchased a very nice, extremely low-mileage, 996 TT Cabriolet. We were fortunate enough to meet up with him a few weeks ago when he called us to purchase some products to care for her.

Once thing led to another, and we decided the smartest thing to do is wrap the whole front end to protect the pristine paint. He also hinted that he wanted to do something more unique, yet tasteful, to the interior. Below is what we came up with. Enjoy!

She arrived at 6:00AM on a Friday and we went straight to work

Bumper carefully disassembled. This is where having an expertise in Porsches comes in handy. About 80% of our business is Porsche. I guess after almost 20 years, you can say we know them pretty well.

Every part, nut, screw, and bolt is properly cataloged and stored. We don't ever have any spare parts when complete

Another aspect of pre-prep, unique to GP, is performing paint correction and paint touch up to anywhere we will be applying clear film. This definitly adds more time and expense to the project, but we feel it's the proper way of enhancing something already amazing

As usual, our custom installs are done using bulk film whenever possible. This requires an advanced level of skill from the installer as all the necessary cuts are done by hand. There is no substitute for experience at this level of art and science

Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Clear Film Install - Part 2

Whenever we have access to areas previously unavailable, we make it a point to clean up as much as possible. Just another OCD feature here at the insane asylum

Once film installation is complete and all parts are reassembled, we apply a nano coating to the film. This further protects the film against the elements

Final check to make sure everything is working

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Center Console Paint to Match Exterior Color - Polar Silver Metallic

Previous paint job, not factory, had tremendious orange peel. We had to spend a few hours sanding down the orange peel for proper paint job

New paint. Looks much better. There was a little orange peel from the new paint job. More sanding and leveling to bring out the color and shine

Sanded, polished, and waxed

Final Results

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-15-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice job, but I have seen to many times the clear film discolor, and get dirt trapped at the edges. Will never do it.
I am waiting to see the new 3m clear spray that is peelable to remove.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Nice job, but I have seen to many times the clear film discolor, and get dirt trapped at the edges. Will never do it.
Great job as usual. Kevin - you think a $59 DIY is going to get better results than this craftsmanship?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

amazing work !
Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I would never do the film, but I must admit you did what appears to be an excellent job.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The older films had major flaws such as yellowing, dullness after a while, and poor stain resistance. This film in particular, XPEL Ultimate, is the cutting edge with its self-healing properties and clarity.

As for the 3M spray, search around on this forum...it leaves much to be desired

Originally Posted by leftlane
Great job as usual. Kevin - you think a $59 DIY is going to get better results than this craftsmanship?
Thanks!!! +1 on the 3M

Originally Posted by judd944
amazing work !
Thank you Sir!

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I would never do the film, but I must admit you did what appears to be an excellent job.
Whenever clients would ask me my personal opinion on film, I'd always respond, I personally would not apply it on my Porsche. Then I started using XPEL Ultimate. Without any hesitation, I'd put this on my car. Reason: Clarity, durability, and excellent protection. Warranty is best in the industry...10 years material and labor. At the moment, other than cost, I don't see why anyone would apply anything else.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

leftlane - if you read my post I said it was a nice job, but films discolor over time, even the new ones contrary to the response, they all do! I have seen the latest and down here in Fla it doesn't take long. Not to mention the dirt buildup on the edges which is hard to remove. I was only wondering on the spray type which is easily removalble as compared to the film and have not seen anyone talk of it.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks great. Car cleaned up nice. What products did you use for the paint correction?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks grey! Top notch job with a nice attention to detail!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Job..........
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Looks great. Car cleaned up nice. What products did you use for the paint correction?
In this case, we used Menzerna Power Finish and a GP white curved ccs pad by lake country. It was just what she needed to remove light spider webbing
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=MoeMistry;10612979]The older films had major flaws such as yellowing, dullness after a while, and poor stain resistance. This film in particular, XPEL Ultimate, is the cutting edge with its self-healing properties and clarity.

Moe, would you explain the self healing properties of xpel? What defects will heal and which won't? I had this installed last year and now have several nicks and scratches that don't "heal".

Thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
In this case, we used Menzerna Power Finish and a GP white curved ccs pad by lake country. It was just what she needed to remove light spider webbing
Thanks. Thats my go to as well. Works great. I have had issues with it on black cars if there is a paint chip that it will leave white residue for a bit which is annoying. Not sure if you have that issue.

Quick Reply: GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab