Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome work Moe. Love seeing the transformation and reading your threads. Thank you again for sharing.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

[QUOTE=bobs95;10616994]
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The older films had major flaws such as yellowing, dullness after a while, and poor stain resistance. This film in particular, XPEL Ultimate, is the cutting edge with its self-healing properties and clarity.

Moe, would you explain the self healing properties of xpel? What defects will heal and which won't? I had this installed last year and now have several nicks and scratches that don't "heal".

Thanks
Bob - Self healing properties include bird droppings, scratches from improper wipe down, improper washing, water spots, etc. Whomever installed your film should be able to assist you with your issues.

As for nicks, if it has broken through the film, I'm not aware of a proper remedy. As for a scratch, it all depends on how sever it is.

Do you have a way of taking a few photos and posting them for me to see?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Thanks. Thats my go to as well. Works great. I have had issues with it on black cars if there is a paint chip that it will leave white residue for a bit which is annoying. Not sure if you have that issue.
Unfortunately, if there's lots of chips, and they're small, you cannot avoid getting polish residue in the chip.

If the chips are larger, you can gently clean that area with a mf towel and IPA

Also, try breaking the polish down further. I usually polish it down until almost transparent. Wiping with a mf towel should be almost effortless if you've broken the polish down properly
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Moe. I'll post pics when I get home from work tonight.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
leftlane - if you read my post I said it was a nice job, but films discolor over time, even the new ones contrary to the response, they all do! I have seen the latest and down here in Fla it doesn't take long. Not to mention the dirt buildup on the edges which is hard to remove. I was only wondering on the spray type which is easily removalble as compared to the film and have not seen anyone talk of it.
Kevin, here's a thread on 6speed about a guy's experience with the 3M spray.

I actually spoke with him when he decided he wants to wrap the front end with XPEL. In a nutshell, for the average guy, it's ok. For us porsche guys, leaves much to be desired. Coverage isn't that good and it was a nightmare to remove

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...al-area-2.html
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

Impressive!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:55 AM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=MoeMistry;10617204]
Originally Posted by bobs95

Bob - Self healing properties include bird droppings, scratches from improper wipe down, improper washing, water spots, etc. Whomever installed your film should be able to assist you with your issues.

As for nicks, if it has broken through the film, I'm not aware of a proper remedy. As for a scratch, it all depends on how sever it is.

Do you have a way of taking a few photos and posting them for me to see?
Moe, here are pics of 2 scratches and one of the two bird droppings on the Xpel clear bra. The company that installed the bra said the scratches, caused by not changing the mf towel soon enough, were too deep and couldn't be polished out. The bird dropping happened after the last time they polished it.
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MoeMistry - thanks it was just something i have seen no feedback on. I appreciate the thread! You did an awesome job!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=bobs95;10618919]

Moe, here are pics of 2 scratches and one of the two bird droppings on the Xpel clear bra. The company that installed the bra said the scratches, caused by not changing the mf towel soon enough, were too deep and couldn't be polished out. The bird dropping happened after the last time they polished it.
Bob - It was kind of hard to get my bearing...photos were huge

What methods did your installer do? The scratch can be minimized using heat and the bird dropping should be able to be gone with a little heat as well. What polish did they use and how was it applied. Usually, a paint cleanser like sonax or p21s minimizes the bird etching, then a little heat does the rest.

Unfortunately, since I'm not there, I don't know how severe everything is and cannot definitively tell you the answer to fix it. I can point you in the right direction though. And silly question...you have XPEL ULTIMATE as the film, correct? They make several different versions, but ultimate is the self-healing film
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
MoeMistry - thanks it was just something i have seen no feedback on. I appreciate the thread! You did an awesome job!
Thanks Kevin. If you notice, we have very few areas where the edge of the film is actually exposed....that's because I dislike the exposed edge for reasons you previously mentioned. Dirt, polish, wax, etc. gets trapped at the edge, and over the years, the film can begin lifting
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=MoeMistry;10619767]
Originally Posted by bobs95

Bob - It was kind of hard to get my bearing...photos were huge

What methods did your installer do? The scratch can be minimized using heat and the bird dropping should be able to be gone with a little heat as well. What polish did they use and how was it applied. Usually, a paint cleanser like sonax or p21s minimizes the bird etching, then a little heat does the rest.

Unfortunately, since I'm not there, I don't know how severe everything is and cannot definitively tell you the answer to fix it. I can point you in the right direction though. And silly question...you have XPEL ULTIMATE as the film, correct? They make several different versions, but ultimate is the self-healing film
Moe--sorry about the size of the pics. I can re-size them tonight to give you a better idea of how big they are. The installer did use the self healing XPEL material and told me scratches and nicks in the bra would go away when it was left out in the sun--still waiting for that to happen. Don't know what they used to wax the bra the last time I brought it in but it's due for a re-wax and I can find out.

I've also seen several areas where it's lifting off--the bottom of the side view mirror and the side of one of the radiator openings. Is this related to the XPEL material, or a craftsmanship issue?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moe,
Can you speak about the work done to the console? What grip sandpaper did you use? I am assuming you wet sanded. I have scratches in mine that I would like to take care of. In regards to the paint used, what type did you use? primer and color coat. I have sprayed an entire vehicle before and would like to tackle the console some time. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Moe,
Can you speak about the work done to the console? What grip sandpaper did you use? I am assuming you wet sanded. I have scratches in mine that I would like to take care of. In regards to the paint used, what type did you use? primer and color coat. I have sprayed an entire vehicle before and would like to tackle the console some time. Any guidance would be appreciated.
1. Initial sanding using 1000 to completely remove orange peel from previous paint job
2. Prime
3. Painted two coats of polar silver metallic - code 92e
3. Painted two coats of clear
4. Sanded with 2500
5. Compounded using hybrid wool pad
6. Polished

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Initial sanding using 1000 to completely remove orange peel from previous paint job
2. Prime
3. Painted two coats of polar silver metallic - code 92e
3. Painted two coats of clear
4. Sanded with 2500
5. Compounded using hybrid wool pad
6. Polished

Hope this helps
Thanks Moe. Your work is amazing. Wish I was on your side of the country.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Thanks Moe. Your work is amazing. Wish I was on your side of the country.
Who knows, one day I may want to expand to the east coast for change of scenery

Quick Reply: GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab