Sponsored by:

Alignment Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Dude, check your toe. We set front toe at zero, rear toe around .1 to .08 each side. Factory settings are crap (actually I dont think your toe is even at factory settings, but i'd have to check teh book).
Front axle factory toe is +5' +/-5' for the Turbo USA, Turbo ROW, and Turbo X73 (20mm lower). The GT2 gets +8' +/- 2'.

Rear axle factory toe is +10' +/- 5' for the Turbo USA, Turbo ROW and the Turbo X73. The GT2 gets +13' +/- 2'.

Above values are with the car empty. No driver, or passengers or additional weight. Fuel tank should be full and spare tire and tool kit should be present.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

I remember reading your tires were two years old.

What kind of tires do you have, how many miles are on them and what are the production dates?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
Scott,

I remember reading your tires were two years old.

What kind of tires do you have, how many miles are on them and what are the production dates?
Dubya, I am running Potenza S-02A's, and haven't checked the dates on them. They're about my 3rd choice in terms of tires, but when I got the car, he had just put brand new rears on it. Then the fronts were really loud, so I replaced them about 2 years ago to match. I'll put on some flavor of Michelin when these rears go out.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow is the big day! I have an alignment appointment to take all of your suggestions into account. A generous RLer gave me his company's proprietary alignment settings for PSS9/10's, and based on those specs, I can tell the biggest problem I have is the front being too low, as was suggested here by others.

So, I'll have the front toe put back to stockish settings, the front raised, a dash of camber, and see how it goes from there. I went ahead and installed the RS Motor Mounts I had, so that hopefully once I get the alignment right, I can dial in the shock settings and be done with this once and for all.

Thanks for the help and the therapy sessions, I'll post more tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

To close out this saga, I did finally find an alignment that works. It's corner-weighted, and as suspected by many here raising the ride-height has improved several aspects of the car's ride. It no longer porpoises like it was doing in the front end, and the front end feels more connected.

I now have the following suspension modifications in place:

PSS9's, set to 4 front, 6 rear
GT3 Rear Sway, set to softest setting
GT3 Motor Mounts

I'm now trying to find that balance between absolute performance and ride quality on our sh*tty roads in OH. As one of my friends has pointed out, you can't have great handling and protect your sensitve rear end at the same time!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ride heights did you end up with?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

134 rear and 126 front. The GT2 spec in the rear actually works fine for the car, the 118 spec is too low for the PSS9's.

Another interesting footnote is that most alignment specs I found for lowered 996TT's request -1.0 negative camber in the front. I couldn't get there.

Quick Reply: Alignment Frustration