Sponsored by:

Tiptronic in a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Nuclearfishin it's obvious you haven't driven a PDF until you do then you will understand. There is no comparison in shift time direct coupling providing instant power to the wheels and has to be driven different than the trip. Before you go making some comparisons I suggest you really drive one.
You missed my point which was the guys that love MT usually state they love the interaction with the car and rolling through the gears. That doesn't happen for the PDK or tip, so saying you hate the tip for that reason but not the PDK is inconsistent.

BTW, I haven't driven a PDF or a trip!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomofva
Thanks. I was hoping someone would say thay there are really solid, or something positive because the price of this car is low. The last sports car I owned that had an automatic was really really tuff to sell.
Tom,

The price is lower because the demand isn't there.

If you thought the last one was hard to sell, do not get a turbo tip.

I'm sorry your thread has taken this turn but I thought you answered you own question in the original post never having considered one and wondering why it was so cheap.

If possible drive a manual and an automatic back to back.
The decision should be easy for you at that point.

Good luck
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Did you drive it on a racetrack?
Honestly?

No.

I'm pretty sure almost everything I didn't like about it on the street would have been magnified on track.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Give me a break. I can heel-toe downshift in my sleep. Manual dexterity has nothing to do with it. It is about efficiency and speed.

Hurley Haywood owed a Turbo Tip and drove at the track often. What does that tell you?
That you need to drop names when a difference of opinion arises because you argument can't stand on its own two pedals.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Hmmm...

His GT class car used a sequential manual, not an H pattern. Any racer will tell you that makes a world of difference. Most racers don't ever use the clutch on upshifts with a sequential. Also the only reason they run a sequential is because they were and still are forced to by the sanctioning body. The sequential box slows them down and equalizes them to other teams running PDKs that have an amateur driver on the team. If the team had their choice they would run a PDK and will be doing just that next season. Hurley and Andy Davis were just up in my PCA region giving lectures. There was a long discussion about manual gear boxes. Short summery: manuals are dead in racing.

-In the highest forms of professional racing, that may be true but it's not due to the overwhelming presence of tiptronics.

As for Hurley's personal Tip Turbo, he loved it, and recommended it for everyone in all uses of the car, street or track. He did many DEs and track PR events with it and he used it many modes. Sometimes he left it in full automated, sometimes he used the buttons and sometimes he would trigger downshifts by stabbing the gas pedal to hit the kick down button. He was a nut with it.

-Yes he was.

The clutch pedal is becoming obsolete, the Tip Turbo was a first step in its exstiction.

-A Mercedes truck transmission with a torque converter has manuals on the verge of extinction? I don't think so.

Sorry to get so detailed with all this. I did my research before I bought my Tip. I also grew up racing karts so getting back to two pedals is like meeting up with old girlfriend. She just has 430+ HP now.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
Honestly?

No.

I'm pretty sure almost everything I didn't like about it on the street would have been magnified on track.
You are incorrect because the tip trans has over a hundred maps and when you get on racetrack track the race maps kick in and shift times decrease to relatively close to the original 997 PDK.

You have to drive a Tip on a track to really understand how good it can be. I am not saying it is equal to a PDK but it gets the job done pretty well.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Carlos, I never said I hate the tip. I never provided any negative words towards it either. Those are your words! You need to go back a read my posts. All I did was counter your examples which for the most part had very little substance and are somewhat inaccurate. Another inaccuracy as per your previous comment on shift times being close to a PDK, that could not be far from the truth. Fast compared to other autos yes.
The mechanical makeup will not allow for it.
The net net is buy whatever you want and like!
One thing, based on your last post it seems you never drove a PDK. Nice try!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You have to drive a Tip on a track to really understand how good it can be. I am not saying it is equal to a PDK but it gets the job done pretty well.
that seems a reasonable enough possibility.

no one in the thread ever said anything about "hating a tip". it seems critical thinking is often woefully absent from internet forums.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
That you need to drop names when a difference of opinion arises because you argument can't stand on its own two pedals.
Hurley owned a Tip, recommended to others and even talked up its ventures in a Pano interview. That is not name dropping, that is supporting evidence to my opinion. You who has never driven a Tip at full boil are pulling your opinion from thin air.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Carlos, I never said I hate the tip. I never provided any negative words towards it either. Those are your words! You need to go back a read my posts. All I did was counter your examples which for the most part had very little substance and are somewhat inaccurate. Another inaccuracy as per your previous comment on shift times being close to a PDK, that could not be far from the truth. Fast compared to other autos yes.
The mechanical makeup will not allow for it.
The net net is buy whatever you want and like!
One thing, based on your last post it seems you never drove a PDK. Nice try!
I am just countering whatever negatives are made with my own positive experience. I hold no personal grudge with any of the Tip's detractors and am just offering up information gathered from experience.

As for driving a PDK, I have. I drove the original 997 version on a track when it was first introduced. A dealer brought a few brand new PDK cars to a DE a attended and raffled off supervised drives at our lunch break. I was lucky enough to get a drive and it was far better than driving a Tip. I will gladly concede that, the PDK is a far better way to go and having a Tip vs PDK debate is not my objective in this thread because there really is no debate. The PDK wins hands down.

I have to ask though if you have driven a Tip on a track? I keep asking this because the Tip really changes when it is run at full boil. On the street the Tip is just like the automatic in your grandmother's Buick but lock it into M mode and start driving like a maniac at it changes. And everyone I spoke to who has driven a Tip on track agrees with me that it works just fine and has some advantages over an H pattern manual in that environment. That is why I bought one.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a 996TT tip and I have a 997 Carrera S manual. Which do I prefer? It depends.

The turbo has so much power and boost, any gear will be fine to blast by anyone. For a non-turbo, I felt the need to shift for the most power and rev the engine.

I agree, that a PDK is probably perfect. BTW, I have driven one, and it is amazing. Ideally, I would get a PDK in a turbo, and a manual in a non-turbo. Thats just me.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I have driven both PDK and trip. Every year Porsche dealership provides new car driving experience here at a local scca track. Invitation only. I agree the tip was different on the track vs it as a daily driver, and I respect Porsche for actually doing what it did with this trans. Still liked the more driver experience with H. With that being said after driving a PDK, I am now a proponent of it vs the H. The PDK based on its characteristics provides a much better driver involvement than the tip but not the H. At this point after driving a PDK I would take it with open arms. Im looking forward this year to trying the new gt3 with PDK. Hope I get an invitation.

Let's leave it at this, no matter what you have as long as its a hyper Volkswagen (lol) lets all just respect the fact we have one of the greatest driving cars out there, regardless of drivetrain preference.
Let's just all enjoy what we have'!!!!!!!!! Amen lol
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I agree, that a PDK is probably perfect. BTW, I have driven one, and it is amazing. Ideally, I would get a PDK in a turbo, and a manual in a non-turbo. Thats just me.
so would i. it will be interesting to hear more reports of the 991 gt3. btw the pdk and the rear steering, these are not the 911's of my youth. but the 997.2tt w pdk is impressive and anyone would be hard pressed to match its performance capability shifting manually. i think the numbers have shown that? something about always having the next gear pre-selected, i suppose. a tip.. it is not.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes I have driven both PDK and trip. Every year Porsche dealership provides new car driving experience here at a local scca track. Invitation only. I agree the tip was different on the track vs it as a daily driver, and I respect Porsche for actually doing what it did with this trans. Still liked the more driver experience with H. With that being said after driving a PDK, I am now a proponent of it vs the H. The PDK based on its characteristics provides a much better driver involvement than the tip but not the H. At this point after driving a PDK I would take it with open arms. Im looking forward this year to trying the new gt3 with PDK. Hope I get an invitation.

Let's leave it at this, no matter what you have as long as its a hyper Volkswagen (lol) lets all just respect the fact we have one of the greatest driving cars out there, regardless of drivetrain preference.
Let's just all enjoy what we have'!!!!!!!!! Amen lol
Thanks Kevin, and thanks for all the help you have given me in the past with my mechanical questions.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

I guess I will have to take you for you word on that, but remain skeptical.

You are incorrect because the tip trans has over a hundred maps and when you get on racetrack track the race maps kick in and shift times decrease to relatively close to the original 997 PDK.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic in a TT?