Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic in a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thin air huh. Like you promoting a TT Cab Tip as a razor sharp track weapon?
The air must be thin where you are up in those ivory towers.
Or maybe it's that huge stack of magazines your standing on?

The original post made no mention of a racecar or race track.
Putting a number on the side of you're door does not make it a racecar.
You operating it on a race track for drivers education does not make you a race car driver.

Hey condescending Carla......eat my shorts!

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Hurley owned a Tip, recommended to others and even talked up its ventures in a Pano interview. That is not name dropping, that is supporting evidence to my opinion. You who has never driven a Tip at full boil are pulling your opinion from thin air.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
Thin air huh. Like you promoting a TT Cab Tip as a razor sharp track weapon?
The air must be thin where you are up in those ivory towers.
Or maybe it's that huge stack of magazines your standing on?

The original post made no mention of a racecar or race track.
Putting a number on the side of you're door does not make it a racecar.
You operating it on a race track for drivers education does not make you a race car driver.

Hey condescending Carla......eat my shorts!
I own a Turbo Tip Coupe, not a Cab. Cabs are not allowed to run at some tracks so buying one limits that use.

Using a Porsche at a track is part of what many owners do with their cars so it should be discussed when considering a purchase.

When or if you get around to driving a Tip on a track feel free to chime back in with an informed and well rounded opinion instead of just trolling.

My name is Carlo, not Carla. You should have your eyes checked. The type face used for the avatars is quite large. I am surprised you failed to read it correctly, but it seems attention to detail is not your strong suit.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Carlo thanks for the kind words. Enjoy your pcar and wish you much success with it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I test drove my first Porsche, it was a 996TT with Tip (only one I could find to drive locally to drive). My PERSONAL opinion is that I was not impressed, expected a lot more from a Porsche Turbo (too much lag time). I do recognize that I didn't use the manual shifting, I simply put it in drive and I floored it.

To give a reference point, I am currently driving a BMW 335d with 425 lb/ft torque (automatic), this is my daily driver/100 miles a day commuter. I am looking for a weekend car that gives more involvement and is FUN to drive. The 996 Turbo with Tip failed to make the mark.

In the past I owned MINI and BMW cars with manual transmission, that I still miss to this day.

This is my 2 cents.

--Sebis
Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I would get a Tip in traffic but a manual for a weekend fun car that would not be on the track.

In other news, I was at PDE about 11 years ago and Hurley DID love the Tip in the 996 turbo for track use. He was there for our class and talked about it quite a bit.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

I drive a manual 997.1S and have been shopping for a 997TT for a while. When one came up I went for the test drive in full anticipation. It was a 2008 cab in tip, manuals are super rare in my market. Unfortunately, I went away unimpressed by the tip. I think the combined turbo lag, although minimal, with the torque converter made the engine and throttle feel disconnected. However, my test drive was just up and down a 2 mile stretch dotted with half a dozen lights. Does that mean I would never buy a tip? No, I just have to go in with a different mentality. They are designed for a different purpose.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

In the Excellence magazine of Oct 13 they like the Tip in the TT, it says that it has infinite number of adaptive performance programs. I wonder how long does it take to adapt?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is very interesting/informative and entertaining reading, right up there with oil and tires. I believe the auto has its place and for the most part its just a personal preference. I am sad to see the new GT3/Turbo etc is only available with pdk but I'm an old dog that can learn some new tricks= so well see lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone has this Tip software?

http://www.evomsit.com/Tiptronic%20T...96TT-final.pdf
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 Turbo - testdriving versus tracking a Tiptronic

As pointed out by others earlier, if you really want to know what the Tip can do, take it to a racetrack or autocross and throw some action at it. The Tip really wakes up when driven hard, rather than on the average test drive where Porsche has it trying to save fuel and wear instead.

As soon as G sensors pick up some combination of limit braking, full acceleration, hard cornering etc, Tiptronic S grabs the most aggressive of its 250 shift maps and it becomes a different beast in race mode. It reminds me of hitting a wasp nest with a stick - everything goes from peaceful to crazy in just a moment. A quick tap/double tap on the gas pedal will also force it into a performance map anytime you want.

The stock 996T tip is very competitive on track for sprint events. Have raced my stock 996 Turbo tiptronic (with ROW suspension) in Motorsport NZ sanctioned Porsche Club events several times. This was the base 420hp car with the base K16 turbos and the factory tune.

Last time, from P2 on the grid, it consistently beat the pole 2008 Nissan GTR to the first corner. On street tires (cheap non r-comp Sumitomos HTRZIIIs) it ran within 1 second of that GTR which was running some better street tires, and within 2s a lap of a stock 996.2 GT3 on R-comps. This was on a tight 2.6km road track with around 1:18 laptimes.

On road, the Tip really comes into its own when you throw it another 60 to 100 hp (and associated torque), by upgrading and tuning the car. For one, it lets you keep both hands on the wheel while all h*ll breaks loose beneath you but the Tip also lets you make the most of the power increase as it maintains some boost during shifts.

Wish I could have both a manual and a tip in the garage but more than happy with mine.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 PM
King_James
Instructor

^^^^^. That's a useful review of real first hand experience
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Back when I was shopping for a Tip my local exotic car dealer said that the Tip owners drive their cars far more than the stick owners.

He may have been right as I have put 10,000 miles on mine in the last year and it's supposed to be a garage queen.

Dan

2004 White X50, PCCB, TIP, loaded up to $162k.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Nimrodical
Advanced

I do have an arthritic left hip and purposely looked for a tip. I'm so incredibly happy that even an old arthritic geezer can have such an amazing car!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans996tt
Back when I was shopping for a Tip my local exotic car dealer said that the Tip owners drive their cars far more than the stick owners.

He may have been right as I have put 10,000 miles on mine in the last year and it's supposed to be a garage queen.

Dan

2004 White X50, PCCB, TIP, loaded up to $162k.
I put 1k on my 996tt Tip since Halloween, and 700 miles on my 930 in the past 9 months.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Daytonaman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gears is gears.
Any trans with a lockup TC transmits the same HP minus a small operating loss. There is no slippage after lockup.
Torque however, is multiplied by an unlocked TC. and that feature is not available in a manual.
Many new check ride buyers complain of the "slushy" shifting in the higher ranges: like as if it should slam into gear. That is true however, it is largely perception because in hi ratios, mechanical advantage is less.
Once in a selected gear, full power is delivered to the output shaft.
The real deal is from a dig, where a manual has to burn clutch material, whereas a Tip does a >2x multiply.
Not sure how a PDK does hole shots..

Quick Reply: Tiptronic in a TT?