Sponsored by:

Tiptronic in a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Hurley Haywood owed a Turbo Tip and drove at the track often. What does that tell you?
that a manual wasn't available.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
that a manual wasn't available.
You wish.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Haywood ran in the GT class for the Grand Am Rolex series and since the car was GT3 cup car, they are only standard. Maybe his private car. Be he said, he used the trip for safety reason leaving both hands on the wheel, and he was a proponent of leaving the trip shift by itself. Not sure that's such a great endorsement.
His GT class car used a sequential manual, not an H pattern. Any racer will tell you that makes a world of difference. Most racers don't ever use the clutch on upshifts with a sequential. Also the only reason they run a sequential is because they were and still are forced to by the sanctioning body. The sequential box slows them down and equalizes them to other teams running PDKs that have an amateur driver on the team. If the team had their choice they would run a PDK and will be doing just that next season. Hurley and Andy Davis were just up in my PCA region giving lectures. There was a long discussion about manual gear boxes. Short summery: manuals are dead in racing.

As for Hurley's personal Tip Turbo, he loved it, and recommended it for everyone in all uses of the car, street or track. He did many DEs and track PR events with it and he used it many modes. Sometimes he left it in full automated, sometimes he used the buttons and sometimes he would trigger downshifts by stabbing the gas pedal to hit the kick down button. He was a nut with it.

The clutch pedal is becoming obsolete, the Tip Turbo was a first step in its exstiction.

Sorry to get so detailed with all this. I did my research before I bought my Tip. I also grew up racing karts so getting back to two pedals is like meeting up with old girlfriend. She just has 430+ HP now.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 06-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Give me a break. I can heel-toe downshift in my sleep. Manual dexterity has nothing to do with it. It is about efficiency and speed.

Hurley Haywood owed a Turbo Tip and drove at the track often. What does that tell you?
That he has an arthritic left hip?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
That he has an arthritic left hip?
LOL, that is good.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did not say unit was an H pattern, still is considered manual under race rules. PDK by design are not automatics as the tip is. It is a dual clutch system as compared to the torque convertor coupled automatic tip which btw has a lag in between shifts, even with updated software. With that said PDK is in a world of its own and is not in the same league as a tip.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

PDK is in a world of its own and is not in the same league as a tip.
exactly.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

The clutch pedal is becoming obsolete, the Tip Turbo was a first step in its exstiction.
that part is certainly true. but the vw SAXOMAT trans ( LOL! ) was the first step
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread cracks me up, especially the comments how the tip is bad but BOY YOU SHOULD TRY THE PDK, IT'S IN ANOTHER CLASS. hahahahahah. The main argument against tip everybody seems to be making is that it takes away from driver involvement. How is the PDK any different? What, it changes gears 1/10 of a second faster than tip and that makes it the be all end all? I know PDK is great, but to come here and belittle the tip but praise the PDK just makes no sense. I drove the tip and MT before buying the tip and I love it. Put it in M mode and you can keep both hands on the wheel while shifting through some crazy turns that are a blast to drive. Anybody that says tip sucks but praises the PDK is talking out of both sides of their mouth. Buy the tip and enjoy!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

it's supposed to. someone took the bait car. lol.

c'mon man.. which would you TRULY rather have? a Doppelkupplungsgetriebe?? transmission... or a chicktronic? LOL
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Did not say unit was an H pattern, still is considered manual under race rules. PDK by design are not automatics as the tip is. It is a dual clutch system as compared to the torque convertor coupled automatic tip which btw has a lag in between shifts, even with updated software. With that said PDK is in a world of its own and is not in the same league as a tip.
You brought up Hurley's race car as a counter point to his Tip Turbo. His race car wa not an H pattern manual it was a sequential and it was not by choice. And even then a sequential is worlds away from an H box. My point was Hurley bought a Tip and used it both on the street and at the track an even recomended it to potential customers. That is what pertains to our Tip vs an H pattern discussion.

I don't disagree that a PDK is better than the Tip. There are also different models PDKs in different model Porsches out there. The one in the new GT3 is highly regarded but I have had people tell me the first PDKs in the 997 models were not the great improvement over the Tip they had hoped for.

Also on F1 cars today they employ a device known as "seamless shift" in their dual clutch gearbox and what it does is very similar to what a torque converter does. It smooths out the power peaks going from the engine through the gear box when shifting. It allows them to shift while in a full cornering drift without unbalancing the car. There are some good things going on in that Tip trans.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 06-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it's supposed to. someone took the bait car. lol.

c'mon man.. which would you TRULY rather have? a Doppelkupplungsgetriebe?? transmission... or a chicktronic? LOL
We are not talking about PDK vs a Tip.

We are talking about a Tip vs an H pattern manual. Maybe you should go back reread this thread because you have missed something and don't think this the first time.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

We are not talking about PDK vs a Tip.
yes.. WE were.

We are talking about a Tip vs an H pattern manual.
NO.. i'm not.

Maybe you should go back reread this thread because you have missed something and don't think this the first time.
umm, what's that? lol "don't think this the first time!? is this some kind of a riddle?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Nuclearfishin it's obvious you haven't driven a PDF until you do then you will understand. There is no comparison in shift time direct coupling providing instant power to the wheels and has to be driven different than the trip. Before you go making some comparisons I suggest you really drive one.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Carlos you are kidding a torque converter simulation in an f1. Think some research on your behalf is warranted. The f1 sequential trans use clutches which are hydraulically controlled by ecu. If you understand a torque converter you would know that hydraulic fluid is used as a fluid coupler using turbine action.
Of which there is no direct power transmission. The f1 uses clutch timing to control the peaks you talk of
Simply put mechanically you can't say it sort of works like a torque converter. That just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 06-09-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic in a TT?